PDA

View Full Version : What battery is the best

Richard Simmons
02-23-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm talking about regular alkaline batteries, D, C and AA. I usually buy Energizer or Duracell but that's really more about them being the ones I see advertised the most. Usually look for either of those and pass over Eveready and other lesser named brands. Are they really the better choice? TIA

aliceinchains
02-23-2011, 05:00 PM
RAYOVAC!

Richard Simmons
02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Funny you should say that. Found a website that compared batteries and though they didn't compare Ray-O Vac they did state that most alkaline batteries are very close in performance.

Stopped at WalMart on the way home and they had an 8pk of D cell Duracell and a 12pk of D cell Ray-O-Vac for the same price, $10.50. I figure that even if the Duracell last 50% longer than the Ray-O-Vac that's just breaking even, cost wise.

The site I found stated something like a 5%-15% difference in performance between the best and worst performers so even if the Duracell last 15% longer I still did good. May have to change batteries a little bit sooner but that's not a heartache.

coppertales
02-23-2011, 06:58 PM
or I pick up a big pack at Sam's or Costco. I really have not noticed any difference between brands. I have not used batteries in my flashlights for years. I bought some hybridlight flashlights that are solar rechargable. www.hybridlight.com chris3

Integratedj
02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
The bulk packs of Walgreens store labeled batteries are the biggest pieces of shit I've ever run. I put 5 brand new ones into my effects pedals before a show once and half way through the show 3 were dead already. The other 2 died the next day at practice.

alismith
02-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Other than rechargeables, I buy all my alkaline batteries at Dollar General. I haven't noticed any difference in their performance over the name brand types. The big plus is that you can buy 20 AA's for about $5 and the other sizes are comparable. Even if they are 15% less performing, you get 4-5 times more of them than the name brands. So, the 5%-15% less efficiency is more than made up for in sheer volume. It's still a big savings.

I tried the Dollar Tree brands, but they aren't anywhere near the performance of the Dollar General ones.

Also, there are things called battery adapter converters that can be found on eBay. These are tubes that let you use AA batteries to run things that use C and D batteries. Just slide the AA battery into a C battery-sized tube, slide that tube into a D-sized tube and you're good to go. They don't last as long a the larger batteries but can be used when the larger batteries aren't available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-x-battery-Adaptor-Converter-Case-Holder-AA-D-2A-1-/250768486829?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item3a62f771ad

HDR
03-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Funny you should say that. Found a website that compared batteries and though they didn't compare Ray-O Vac they did state that most alkaline batteries are very close in performance.

Sam's brand AAs didn't last for me.

The site I found stated something like a 5%-15% difference in performance between the best and worst performers so even if the Duracell last 15% longer I still did good. May have to change batteries a little bit sooner but that's not a heartache.

I have an anemometer to read wind speed; to get an accurate reading it is about 28' up. As changing batteries in the winter isn't fun I know how long they last; well, the Sam's AAs didn't last as long as Duracells or Ray-O-Vacs.