PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle Launch - From Plane

alismith
02-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Here's an interesting view of the space shuttle launch filmed from an airplane. It's easier to see how fast it moves when viewed from this angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE_USPTmYXM&feature=player_embedded

Warthogg
02-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Neat !!

Wart

Partisan1983
02-26-2011, 01:22 AM
That would be so cool to see !!!

JVD
02-26-2011, 01:29 AM
"Those of you on the right side of the aircraft, you can see the space shuttle, people on the left side of the aircraft can probably see the people on the right side of the aircraft looking at the space shuttle..."

:roflwithfeetcv2:

ubersoldate
02-26-2011, 02:24 AM
chicom missle.

El Duce
02-26-2011, 07:32 AM
That is very cool.

Krupski
02-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Here's an interesting view of the space shuttle launch filmed from an airplane. It's easier to see how fast it moves when viewed from this angle.

Cool video! You know it takes the Shuttle only about 45 seconds to reach Mach 1 and only 15 seconds more to reach Max-Q and only about 8 minutes to reach orbit!

Randomluck
02-26-2011, 04:04 PM
If you look really close about halfway from where the shuttle launches and the band of clouds to its right (south) you'll see me standing in my front yard watching. :D

O.S.O.K.
02-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Yes, cool indeed. And its the last one. And zero has done nothing to initiate a program to provide a replacement. What are we going to use from now on?

We should have a craft developed that takes off from a runway using conventional propulsion and then switches to rockets at altitude - and lands on the same strip upon return under power.

The next step.

But no, we are just watching the last shuttle go up.

swampdragon
02-26-2011, 07:20 PM
"Those of you on the right side of the aircraft, you can see the space shuttle, people on the left side of the aircraft can probably see the people on the right side of the aircraft looking at the space shuttle..."

:roflwithfeetcv2:

:joker:

Krupski
02-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Yes, cool indeed. And its the last one. And zero has done nothing to initiate a program to provide a replacement. What are we going to use from now on?

We should have a craft developed that takes off from a runway using conventional propulsion and then switches to rockets at altitude - and lands on the same strip upon return under power.

One of the early Shuttle designs had a reusable booster that was liquid fueled and had jet engines. The booster had 4 of the Saturn V type F1 engines burning kerosene and oxygen for rocket power and 4 jet engines burning kerosene and air. The jet engines were for a powered landing of the booster. The Shuttle itself had the same hydrogen/oxygen SSME engines (three of them).

It's sad that so many Presidents (Obongo included) don't realize how important NASA and their research is.

Since America has given away or faded away in superiority in almost everything... the one thing America still has is TECHNOLOGY superiority. And with the virtual death of the space program, our technological edge will die with it.

I feel sorry for today's kids... because they are inheriting the mess WE left them. :(

mriddick
02-26-2011, 08:53 PM
chicom missle.

LOL

I saw a shuttle launch on my honeymoon, very impressive.

swampdragon
02-26-2011, 08:54 PM
One of the early Shuttle designs had a reusable booster that was liquid fueled and had jet engines. The booster had 4 of the Saturn V type F1 engines burning kerosene and oxygen for rocket power and 4 jet engines burning kerosene and air. The jet engines were for a powered landing of the booster. The Shuttle itself had the same hydrogen/oxygen SSME engines (three of them).

It's sad that so many Presidents (Obongo included) don't realize how important NASA and their research is.

Since America has given away or faded away in superiority in almost everything... the one thing America still has is TECHNOLOGY superiority. And with the virtual death of the space program, our technological edge will die with it.

I feel sorry for today's kids... because they are inheriting the mess WE left them. :(

Dad: Go clean your room. It's a mess.
Kid: Why? It's just a room. You guys trashed the whole country!

Full Otto
02-26-2011, 09:13 PM
LOL

I saw a shuttle launch on my honeymoon, very impressive.

Wish I could of I was down there taking field measurements when the Air Force was setting up there payload facility. Didn't really need to go to quite all the places I crawled on but since I had a pass I took advantage of the opportunity.
The rockets were sitting upright in a sort of big closet and I was walking cut steel looking down on them.
Won't forget that

mriddick
02-26-2011, 09:19 PM
We drove down, took a wrong turn and ended up watching from the turn around at the guard station, I'd say we were as close as civilians could get without being on base.

printerman
02-26-2011, 09:27 PM
If you look really close about halfway from where the shuttle launches and the band of clouds to its right (south) you'll see me standing in my front yard watching. :D

Me too ! However there was lots of clouds and haze and I only saw a little trail . I watched from Coral Springs .

Krupski
02-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Dad: Go clean your room. It's a mess.
Kid: Why? It's just a room. You guys trashed the whole country! How sad. How true.

O.S.O.K.
02-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Did not know that. Why in the hell wouldn't we go with that kind of design? I suppose it couldn't haul as big a payload.... the shuttle is a hoss. But we could make the other's for less I would think because you could control the rate of descent better on re-entry (?).

Regardless, we should be investing in this. Imagine what a mining colony on the moon would mean to our economy? And to the world for that matter.

No, we piss it all away giving it to third world countries and third world citizens (those that act like it) living here.

WE ARE THE ONES LETTING THIS HAPPEN. US, YOU, ME - all of us.

Krupski
02-27-2011, 07:19 PM
(1) Did not know that. Why in the hell wouldn't we go with that kind of design? I suppose it couldn't haul as big a payload.... the shuttle is a hoss. But we could make the other's for less I would think because you could control the rate of descent better on re-entry (?).

(2) Regardless, we should be investing in this. Imagine what a mining colony on the moon would mean to our economy? And to the world for that matter.

(3) No, we piss it all away giving it to third world countries and third world citizens (those that act like it) living here.

(4) WE ARE THE ONES LETTING THIS HAPPEN. US, YOU, ME - all of us.

(1) The liquid fueled booster design used 4 of the uprated F1A engines for a total thrust of about 6.4 million pounds (or about 800,000 pounds more thrust than the solid boosters). The total lifting capacity of the system would have been BETTER than we have now. And as far as re-entry... since the booster part barely leaves the atmosphere and doesn't get to orbital velocity, all it really needed to do is a controlled hypersonic entry followed by a jet engine powered "airplane" type of landing. It wouldn't have need any type of "heat shield". Also, the liquid fueled F1 engines have an inherent safety advantage over solids... they could be shut down at any time if the SHTF. AND their exhaust is non-toxic, unlike the Shuttle SRB boosters which put tons of hydrochloric acid into the atmosphere at each launch.

(2) America economy and America's SECURITY depends on our continued TECHNOLOGICAL superiority... alot of which NASA has contributed to. As far as "mining the moon", yeah there are a lot of valuable things there (like Helium III), but it would cost more to get it back to earth than it's worth.

(3) Not only that, but now we are even going to depend on other countries just to get UP into space. All the other rockets we have (Delta, Titan, Atlas, etc..) are ELV's (Expendable Launch Vehicles). They are not man rated and cannot safely carry astronauts.

And I sure as hell wouldn't want to ride on a Chinese rocket... even a Russian rocket would give me the willies...

(4) True, but what can we do about it? The President and the government don't give a rats ass about what We, the People say, think or want... and realistically I doubt anyone will be marching up to the White House with an arrest warrant.

Bottom line... America is screwed.

mriddick
02-27-2011, 10:16 PM
We have illegals, a couple of wars, SSI, medicare/medicaid, fat pensions and now a trillion dollar healthcare program to pay for, who has extra for a space program.

Mark Ducati
02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Neat perspective!

By your title though, I was expecting this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui-GL2aAUok

Krupski
02-28-2011, 10:31 PM
We have illegals, a couple of wars, SSI, medicare/medicaid, fat pensions and now a trillion dollar healthcare program to pay for, who has extra for a space program.

The space program gets only a tiny sliver of the national budget. And dollar for dollar, it's probably the best investment America can make.

Shell out a few billion less to all the foreign countries that take our money and laugh at us and send it instead to NASA where it will do US good.

RJ Shooter
02-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Been lucky enough to see quite a few launches from SW Florida (launching from NE Florida)...

The late night shots are not as good, but it's still neat to see - even from across the state!!!!

https://secure-media-snc1.fbcdn.net/v2658/13/49/1361442017/n1361442017_30325338_2972813.jpg

https://s-hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/6168_1219285406553_1361442017_30625572_3281521_n.j pg

https://s-hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/6168_1219285446554_1361442017_30625573_5673172_n.j pg

https://s-hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/16541_1279679356364_1361442017_30799199_5291017_n. jpg

Krupski
03-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Been lucky enough to see quite a few launches from SW Florida (launching from NE Florida)...

The late night shots are not as good, but it's still neat to see - even from across the state!!!!

Can you hear it from that far away?

RJ Shooter
03-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Can't hear a sound... Don't know if the sound dissipates from that distance, or what. But it is about 5hrs away via highway.

stevelyn
03-01-2011, 12:08 PM

The next step.

But no, we are just watching the last shuttle go up.

The shuttle's replacement program should have been initiated 20 years ago.

Nimbly
03-01-2011, 01:28 PM

It's really sad, if you ever watch some of the reports of what the Cassini Probe has found out there. They give NASA such a tiny amount of money (relative to other programs) and NASA his spent most of it on the ISS. With all the awesome things out there that we haven't even discovered, we are pissing away resources to go into low orbit? Why?

Why do that when we can pay an ass ton of money to have the Russians take us up there.

The space station is boring. People really wonder why nobody cares about space exploration anymore? We know whats in orbit, a bunch of crap. People have been going into orbit for 50 years! Lets go find something cool. Lets go land on a comet. Lets go back to the moon, and set up a station there. We have the technology to do some really cool stuff, who cares about orbit?

alismith
03-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Along a similar note, what happened to the manned space program that was supposed to put a man on Mars? About 10 yrs. ago, I had heard that when the shuttle program ended, it would be replaced by that program. Did that one ever get off the ground, or was it killed before it had a chance?

Krupski
03-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Along a similar note, what happened to the manned space program that was supposed to put a man on Mars? About 10 yrs. ago, I had heard that when the shuttle program ended, it would be replaced by that program. Did that one ever get off the ground, or was it killed before it had a chance?

Honestly, with our current chemical propulsion, a trip to Mars is impossible.

The moon is easy because it stays with us and it's "only" 240,000 miles away.

Mars is millions of miles away, and it's in it's own orbit. So there are periods where the earth and mars are at a maximum distance apart (with the sun in between!) and a period when they are closest.

These occur only about once every 3 years, so a trip to mars would have to launch about 18 months before the minimum, then arrive at mars, then stay there another 18 months then head back to earth... the whole mission taking about 3 years.

Nobody could stand being cooped up in a small spacecraft for 18 months, then cooped up in a life support "dome" or whatever they would live in on mars, then ANOTHER 18 months to come home.

And, the whole spacecraft system would never remain man-rated reliable for 3 years... and the amount of consumables (propellant, hydrogen and oxygen for water and electricity, food, etc...) would make the spacecraft so large and heavy that it probably couldn't even be built.

Spending 3 years in deep space would almost certainly expose the astronauts to lethal solar radiation. Can we guarantee that the sun won't spit out a huge flare towards the spacecraft... for 3 years?

Until we develop some kind of a "warp drive" (i.e. something tons better than what we have now), Mars is impossible to have a manned landing + return.

And if we ever DO develop such a space travel method, then Mars will be too close to bother with (other than bringing back the old Rovers for the Smithsonian).

Nimbly
03-03-2011, 03:42 AM
Honestly, with our current chemical propulsion, a trip to Mars is impossible.

The moon is easy because it stays with us and it's "only" 240,000 miles away.

Mars is millions of miles away, and it's in it's own orbit. So there are periods where the earth and mars are at a maximum distance apart (with the sun in between!) and a period when they are closest.

These occur only about once every 3 years, so a trip to mars would have to launch about 18 months before the minimum, then arrive at mars, then stay there another 18 months then head back to earth... the whole mission taking about 3 years.

Nobody could stand being cooped up in a small spacecraft for 18 months, then cooped up in a life support "dome" or whatever they would live in on mars, then ANOTHER 18 months to come home.

And, the whole spacecraft system would never remain man-rated reliable for 3 years... and the amount of consumables (propellant, hydrogen and oxygen for water and electricity, food, etc...) would make the spacecraft so large and heavy that it probably couldn't even be built.

Spending 3 years in deep space would almost certainly expose the astronauts to lethal solar radiation. Can we guarantee that the sun won't spit out a huge flare towards the spacecraft... for 3 years?

Until we develop some kind of a "warp drive" (i.e. something tons better than what we have now), Mars is impossible to have a manned landing + return.

And if we ever DO develop such a space travel method, then Mars will be too close to bother with (other than bringing back the old Rovers for the Smithsonian).

I would think that if they were to spend as much money on nuclear or ionic propulsion development that they do feeding, clothing, and providing medical care to illegal immigrants then we would have a fast enough vehicle to do it. Also, an idea I have read about is to set up a sort of base on the moon. They think they have found ice there, and there is ice on Mars. They could send supplies to Mars ahead of the mission. I don't know, if they do go it would likely not be during my life time. It makes me sad.