PDA

View Full Version : What to buy? My First AK-47

theboss_97338
02-25-2011, 10:55 PM
I plan on purchasing my first AK-47. There are so many variations out there the sure which one to pick. I like classic look of the original AK-47, and really don't plan on putting one tactical things. So which one should I, Atlanta arms, Victor, Romanian. I don't plan on spending a lot on my first weapon, I just want to get used to she did and taken apart. So what would you guys recommend for my first AK-47? Thank you guys for your help.

recon
02-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Welcome to the AK-47 Site! The Romanian Type AK's are a good starter weapon. Not to much money but they work just fine.

6gunsal
02-25-2011, 11:23 PM
It seems that a lot if people start with a Romanian WASR for their first AK. The biggest reason is most likely due to them being the cheapest ak. If you know what problem areas to look for, are on a tight budget, or don't mind taking a gamble, then the WASR is an ok gun.

If you can afford to spend a little more, then there is no reason not to get a better variant for your first AK. It's not like you are going to ruin it (unless you shoot corrosive surplus and let it rust), "it's an AK"!

When looking for a rifle, I suppose the biggest check boxes are function, fit, and finish. With an AK built by a reputable company or builder, the function is a given, so that leaves fit & finish. There are aks that cover the entire range from the crusty old WASR with its plywood furniture, to the Russian beauty with its laminated hand guards and glossy black metal. In between you'll find Yugoslavian, polish, Bulgarian... You might even run across an Egyptian or Chinese variant. Some are better, some are only more expensive because they aren't imported any longer or the kits have all dried up. Spend some time reading up and you will some start to see how they are all different.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the site. Start a thread in the general firearms forum and try getting people to post pics of their aks. You might get more responses over there, and seeing all the different variants might help you decide on what you want.

FunkyPertwee
02-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Whats your price range?

The prices on Dracos now are getting stupid low. You can find them online for at least $329. Most will knock it cause is it doesn't take a stock unless you SBR it, but its a pretty handy little blaster, and built pretty solid.

WASR-10 is good cheap starter, but they"re going for $400 and up now, which is high for what it is. Makes me miss $300 SAR-1's :dammit:

For a little more, the century built Yugo AKs seem pretty nice, although I have no personal experience.

Probably the "nicest" standard AKM around is the SGL saiga conversions by Arsenal, but you do have pay for them. Again, no personal experience with that particular model.

Wild Bill
02-26-2011, 01:44 PM
A Romanian SAR 1 is my favorite shooter.

El Laton Caliente
02-26-2011, 03:04 PM
If you want a .223 at a bargan price the Golani Galils are around $500 to $550 shipped to your FFL. The mags are a little more, but they are highly accurate for an AK pattern rifle.