PDA

View Full Version : Attack shuts Iraq's largest oil refinery, kills 1

HDR
02-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Attack shuts Iraq's largest oil refinery, kills 1

BAGHDAD – Gunmen attacked Iraq's largest oil refinery Saturday, killing a guard and detonating bombs that sparked a fire and forced the facility to shut down, officials said.

and it is on fire...

By midmorning, firefighters were still trying to extinguish the blaze, said Iraqi Oil Ministry spokesman Assem Jihad
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110226/ap_on_bi_ge/ml_iraq

I'm glad I filled up last night.

Altarboy
02-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Yes indeed, I filled up Monday for 2.99 and again Friday for 3.29. And with food increasing in price, I don't see how the so-called improving economy can last. I'm already seeing fuel surcharges on our bills of lading at work. Gonna be interesting.

cciota
02-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Yea, it's a really good decision not to allow drilling for oil in the Gulf and Alaska. Another stellar call by Zero and his crew.

El Laton Caliente
02-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Fox News is reporting two dead.

Iraq doesn't bother me, I doubt it will fall apart like the others. Saudi is ripe for disruption though and that would take oil to over $200, maybe $300 or even $400.

rahatlakhoom
02-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Yea, it's a really good decision not to allow drilling for oil in the Gulf and Alaska. Another stellar call by Zero and his crew.

No doubt. An ounce of prevention back at the beginning of the era of hope and change would have been worth a ton of cure.
Diesel has already jumped up here to 3.79 gallon. I'm about ready to go 'Egyptian'.

Cap45
02-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Makes you wonder, and I'm sure our boys and girls trained their military well, but with as many problems as Iraq has, one has to wonder where the true loyaties are. With the currenet events in the Middle east, it was only a matter of time before it boiled over to Iraq and lit the country on fire.

Oswald Bastable
02-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Iraq doesn't bother me, I doubt it will fall apart like the others. Saudi is ripe for disruption though and that would take oil to over $200, maybe $300 or even $400.

This really shouldn't affect world oil prices. This is a refinery for turning oil into other products for Iraq (though I'm sure they sell some of it to their neighbors) and the oil that's there has already been paid for on the open market, or likely was essentially free having come from one of their own fields.

HDR
02-26-2011, 07:54 PM

It is the total effect which will bite an oil hungry world in the ass.

http://www.examiner.com/foreign-policy-in-national/saudi-king-announces-37-billion-for-saudi-nationals

The Saudi king handed out $37 billion to Saudi nationals. :D