PDA

View Full Version : Garden's going in today.

O.S.O.K.
02-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Went and got two yards of horse manure based compost yesterday to work into the garden. Spread that out and now I'm headed out to fire up the Troy Bilt Horse to give it a good going over.

Then, the wife moves in and plants the starts that she bought yesterday.

The usual suspects - tomatoes, peppers, beans, squash (this from seed), etc.

Getting it in earlier this year - we were late last year and the tomatoes and cucs didn't do very well...

O.S.O.K.
02-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Done. We just had a little test garden last year - was about 8x16. This year, I doubled the size to 16x16 - still small but plenty considering the hard assed dirt that this place has that you have to work on.

Even though the tiller is self propelled, it still kicks your ass to till with. I need to get some belt dressing -the dang drive belt kept slipping which meant that I had to keep on hand on that lever and just one left to hold it steady. It's hard enough as it is, but this makes it especially rewarding :)

I'll take pics after we get something planted - its just a patch of tilled up dirt right now.

El Laton Caliente
02-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Tilling in hard clay is a bitch. Next year, or over the winter, find some scap wallboard, sheetrock. Break it up as fine as possible. I guess you could water soak it. Till it in, mixed with sand if you want. The gypsom in the wall board will break down the clay and the sand keeps it loose.

btcave
02-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Still too early in Oregon for the garden. I do need to do some soil preparation though. I'd like to get a tiller to tow behind my 2006 Troy Built lawn tractor. I think I have the Horse model as well. My back won't handle a regular rear tine tiller that you walk behind.

I had my first garden last year. Not everything made it, but the stuff that did seemed to taste 10x better than the store bought. I know it's just psychological, but the beans were sweet as hell!

O.S.O.K.
02-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks.

El Laton Caliente
02-27-2011, 01:40 PM
I want a 36" or 42" PTO tiller for my compact tractor.

I may settle for a middle buster and disc though...

We have a walk way all around the house that leaves a 6' bed next to the house all around. I plan on making the kitchen side my herb garden and the back side a garden for tomatoes, peppers and the like. Bigger crops, corn, beans, peas, melons, will have to go into another plot. I have to cut enough trees to make the plot though.

old Grump
02-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Today is the first time in 4 days that it hasn't been snowing. Temperature is a balmy 30 degree's, Spring is coming but my Troy-Bilt tiller is going to continue hanging in the rafters of my garage for another couple of months.

O.S.O.K.
02-27-2011, 02:13 PM
It's around 70 degrees today and overcast - was spitting lightly on me as I was tilling earlier.

If we don't get this planted now, it'll be too hot when everything fruits.

Tomatoes are in. Wife informs me that a mantis tiller (little weeder) would be nice.

That's nice.

My Troy Bilt is a 5 hp with electric start. A gift from my falther in law when they moved into town from the country about 5 years back.

The riding mower is a bit more than we need on our 1/2 acre now but its a good one - Husq 24 HP 48" deck hydro drive. The wife mows the lawn and likes this mower :) I'm pretty happy with that too! ;)

El Laton Caliente
02-27-2011, 02:19 PM
I told the wife to use the backhoe to turn over the back house bed so we could put in at least some tomatoes, peppers and get the herb garden started. Don't forget the herbs, they make everything better and most are perannials.

Helpful Hint: Merrygolds and Garlic planted in with the veggies will keep the bugs down...