PDA

View Full Version : So Much For The Train Trip

ltorlo64
02-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Some of you may remember how excited I was to be taking a "land cruise" with my wife for our 25th anniversary. I just had to cancel my reservations. I like to think that I don't hide behind the anonimity provided by the internet, but today I am going to use it.

I discussed my plans with my boss, put in for leave and bought my tickets after my leave was approved. Because of the job I have, I am my boss cannot be gone at the same time. About 3 weeks ago I find out, by accident, that my boss is taking leave at the same time as me. When I asked him about it he told me he had already bought non-refundable tickets and that it would be good for us to be gone at the same time to "show the command just what we do". I couldn't believe that was his response. Anyway, I tried to change my reservations but it would cost almost $1000 more that we had already spent, but we found out we could cancel our reservations for a full refund, so that is what we ended up doing. Needless to say we are more than a little disappointed. I understand that needs of the Navy come before my wants and desires, that is no big deal. I have missed numerous birthdays, anniversaries, Christmases and other holidays because of operational commitments. To lose this leave because my boss didn't remember that we had already talked about this is beyond irritating.

Anyway, it is hard to complain about something like this at work and you can bet my wife doesn't want to hear about it, so you all are the lucky recipients.

Altarboy
02-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Damn that sucks. Can you point to a date on a calender when you can make it up to her-and you?

ltorlo64
02-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Damn that sucks. Can you point to a date on a calender when you can make it up to her-and you?

Yeah, we are working on that already. Looks like we will try for our 26th anniversary. We will try to do it earlier, but I my job will just get busier until about this coming December.

FunkyPertwee
02-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks for putting up with this bullshit to help the navy keep us safe and free.

davepool
02-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Sorry to hear that, a train trip across country sounds like it could be an interesting experience, but there's always next year. My father said that to my mom for 40 years, the military has a way of screwing up your social life

My father was career Army and when we were living at the Presido he had promosed my mom a trip to Hawaii,planned to drop me and my sister off in phoenix and take off for three weeks, two days before they were going to leave that pesky little cuban missle crisis came up and all leaves were canceled. It wasn't until almost 30 years after he retired that they finally went.

mriddick
02-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Wow that sucks, congrats on the 25 anyway and I hope the trip is only better for #26...

Penguin
02-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get another shot at it some day it sounds like fun.

JTHunter
02-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your "SNAFU". With luck, you'll get to go in a few weeks when spring is closer and the landscape will be covered with fresh greenery and maybe some flowers to liven things up.
The trip sounds like a GREAT idea!