PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm gearing up to start casting my own bullits.

L1A1Rocker
02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
As many of you know I put together a nice 300 AAC Blackout. The problem is feeding it. The cases are cheap enough being made fro 223 shells but the bullets are expensive as all get out. Well, someone on the cast boolets web site has come out with a boolit specifically designed for the 300 Whisper/fireball/AAC Blackout.

I'm told that with proper sizing and lube "leading" of the gas port will not be a problem. The molds for the boolit will not be done until July but I've been purchasing more molds than just for the BLK. I've jumped in on a group buy for a mold that duplicates the H & G #68 .45 ACP 200 gr SWC and a few others. As long as I'm getting into this game I figured I might as well get molds for the stuff I shoot anyway.

So far I've been able to pick up an RCBS bottom pour furnace/smelter for just over $100.00 and an RCBS lubr a sizer, also for just at $100.00 - still need a heater for it and most likely will have to buy that new. I've also picked up Lymans' casting handbook and been reading on that.

So, any "casters" out there that can offer any advice?

abpt1
03-24-2011, 07:41 AM
As many of you know I put together a nice 300 AAC Blackout. The problem is feeding it. The cases are cheap enough being made fro 223 shells but the bullets are expensive as all get out. Well, someone on the cast boolets web site has come out with a boolit specifically designed for the 300 Whisper/fireball/AAC Blackout.

I'm told that with proper sizing and lube "leading" of the gas port will not be a problem. The molds for the boolit will not be done until July but I've been purchasing more molds than just for the BLK. I've jumped in on a group buy for a mold that duplicates the H & G #68 .45 ACP 200 gr SWC and a few others. As long as I'm getting into this game I figured I might as well get molds for the stuff I shoot anyway.

So far I've been able to pick up an RCBS bottom pour furnace/smelter for just over $100.00 and an RCBS lubr a sizer, also for just at $100.00 - still need a heater for it and most likely will have to buy that new. I've also picked up Lymans' casting handbook and been reading on that.

So, any "casters" out there that can offer any advice?
You need a hard cast to prevent leading on the BHN scale 22bhn and up I use 26BHN on anything with a gas port...Oh and never use any type of lead in a desert eagle ...

Penguin
03-24-2011, 09:33 PM
This is an interisting and some what related topic. I just got done talking to one of my friends. He told me that some one is putting on a shoot around here kind of like cowboy action except it is for miltary type rifles.

It sounds like a good time to me. The problem lies in that he told me they need just plain lead bullets for it. Doesn't that clog the gas port on a semi auto? Where would one get that kind of ammo? In particular 45ACP and 7.62x51 is what I would probably be shooting.

abpt1
03-25-2011, 06:51 AM
This is an interisting and some what related topic. I just got done talking to one of my friends. He told me that some one is putting on a shoot around here kind of like cowboy action except it is for miltary type rifles.

It sounds like a good time to me. The problem lies in that he told me they need just plain lead bullets for it. Doesn't that clog the gas port on a semi auto? Where would one get that kind of ammo? In particular 45ACP and 7.62x51 is what I would probably be shooting.
I dont know of any company that makes a casting that hard due to the cost of it .

O.S.O.K.
03-25-2011, 11:04 AM
I would recommend linotype alloy and a gas check design lubed with lee liquid alox lube for the autoloaders. They will acumulate a bit of lead dust in the gas system but this can be easily flushed out. Stick with heavier boolits going around 2000 fps and you should do well.

For bolt actions I have used wheel weight and Lynan no.2 alloy (very similar) with gc and liq alox going 1900 - 2000fps with very good accuracy and no leading.

For the military actiom shooting I would choose a 1911, m1 carbine and 1897 trench gun. Or for soviet, AK, makarov and... - do they include shotties? A PPSH and tokarev pistol would also be good.

Penguin
03-25-2011, 11:28 AM
For the military actiom shooting I would choose a 1911, m1 carbine and 1897 trench gun. Or for soviet, AK, makarov and... - do they include shotties? A PPSH and tokarev pistol would also be good.

I have a 1911 and that is what I would plan to use for a side arm. Why the M1 carbine? I have one of those as well though it would far from my first choice. I would use an 1897 trench gun if I had one. I wish I could find a decent one that wasn't beat to hell. I don't know if this includes shotguns or not. It is my understanding that this will be the first match and it is just starting up. From what my friend told me and military type gun. There were going to have two classes regular and 22. I was wanting to use my L1A1 and my 1911. I was thinking about the gas port thing though last night and got to thinking my sterling might be a better choice. Or perhaps my thompson.

O.S.O.K.
03-26-2011, 12:20 PM
I was thinking that the targets would be close-in and that the "action" part would be the emphasis - like cowboy action. This would favor the carbines - m1, sterling, PPSH, etc.

Shooting lead boolits in an FAL would work as it's got an adjustable gas system - but won't work with a Garand or similar because you can't generate standard pressures with cast boolits...

The AK would work fine though as you simply use 150 grain boolits at 2000 fps which will generate enough pressure to cycle.

Sounds like fun!!!

abpt1
03-26-2011, 01:51 PM
I was thinking that the targets would be close-in and that the "action" part would be the emphasis - like cowboy action. This would favor the carbines - m1, sterling, PPSH, etc.

Shooting lead boolits in an FAL would work as it's got an adjustable gas system - but won't work with a Garand or similar because you can't generate standard pressures with cast boolits...

The AK would work fine though as you simply use 150 grain boolits at 2000 fps which will generate enough pressure to cycle.

Sounds like fun!!!
My cousin has loaded some 308 @ 24-26bnh no gas check they worked the AR10 fine ....