PDA

View Full Version : IO Sporter?

Clyde from Carolina
03-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Hi all,

Looking to get back into AKs after a long hiatus, and started shopping around. I saw that IO had American made guns with an accuracy guarantee, and that sounded promising.

Then I noticed their barrels are American made, too, so I called them and sure enough, they're not chrome lined. That's kinda weird for an AK...

Just wondering if anybody has tried one of these. I understand you can get non-corrosive 7.62x39 these days, so not sure I should be hung up on the chrome lined barrel.

I also read some horror stories online about IO's customer service and quality, along with a lot of good stuff, too.

Any experiences here?

I want a 7.62 gun that shoots straight, and preferably with a rail since I have an old Kobra sight that works fine. I was hoping to spend less than the cost of an Arsenal AK, but if I have to spend I will.

Thanks for any input.

btcave
03-02-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm surprised no one got back to you already. I hate seeing threads go unanswered.

I bought from them twice. An SKS and a PSL. It was 7 years ago, and I had no problem and was satisfied with the product and service. They had some legal problems a while back, but they're still in business. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck.

robert
03-03-2011, 08:24 AM
the yugos had no chrome lining and they used them with corrosive ammo in a long war so just clean regularly/ worse case they now have american made chrome lined barrels get it for an extra. by the way the chromed barrels werent just for corrosive ammo it was also because they fired on full auto a lot and lots of heat along withlots of friction equals barrel erosion but were talking 20000 rounds which I can barely afford that much ammo.

Clyde from Carolina
03-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

raxar
03-06-2011, 02:16 PM
I've only ever handled an IO AK at a shop, I wasn't impressed with it. It just seemed chinsy. I probably would not get one, but I already have AK's so I can be picky.

El Laton Caliente
03-06-2011, 03:26 PM
You might check out Atlantic also, they have some really nice offerings... JG and Centerfire also... of those Atlantic is likely the best to deal with for customer service, but I've never had complaints about Centerfire either.

AMVET47
08-13-2011, 07:17 PM
I know this reply is way late, but if you haven't bought the I.O., don't. I made the mistake of buying one several years ago. 1st time to the range on the 1st 30 rds, the gun jammed with a failure to eject. It had the wrong dust cover on it which I.O. promptly replaced with the correct one. Great! Next time out, with less than 60 rounds thru it, the piston guide lock lever popped loose and that jammed it pretty good. I bent the lever in enough to hopefully prevent this. It just seemed like it was too easy to bend that lever in. I.O.s are junk IMHO. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for buying it. A non chromed barrel will actually result in better accuracy.