PDA

View Full Version : Gas Siphon?

Mark Ducati
03-04-2011, 08:37 AM
When I was at Home Depot the other day, I was going down the plumbing isle and I spied some tubing... I initially picked out a "pre-coiled" length of 25 ft long x 5/8" Tygon Tubing... this is the stuff that's clear, flexible to a fault where it can kink, same tubing they use on Fish Tank aquariums...

Anyway, I put it back and picked up a 25ft length x 5/8" nylon tubing... its kind of an opaque white color, but won't kink...

What I was thinking of was to use it to siphon gas from abandoned cars or whatever... this 5/8" tubing is stiff enough so as not to kink, yet flexible enough that I can stick and maneuver it down a gas cap hole on the side of a car... cut to length, suck and drain/siphon if needed.

25 ft should be long enough if you had to get gas out of a gas station holding tank in the ground... but gravity siphoning wont help when the tank is below ground.

I couldn't find a siphon hand pump at Home Depot... I haven't checked the auto parts stores yet...

But other than tubing, any of you have a true Siphon whether its one of those according hand held pumps that you squeeze... or better yet, one of those "crank" designs" (but I think those require a larger a hose diameter"?

For $5 bucks, I thought this 25 ft. length of flexible plastic/nylon tubing was a good thing to have on a shelf in my basement.

00RedZX-6R
03-04-2011, 09:54 AM
We use tubing at work that the inside is not circular so it can't get stopped when it is kinked. I think it is mediacla grade stuff for use with oxygen lines for patients.

I think alot of cars nowadays have a block in them to prevent siphoning. That is what I head anyways.

I just use the old mouth method to siphon gas when I need too.