PDA

View Full Version : Dreams (Not their Meanings)

slamfire51
03-04-2011, 09:00 PM
OK, before you read this, it DOES NOT belong in the K-Forum.

I've read books that attempt to analyze the meanings of dreams.
I'm not wanting to know their meanings, but why you dream what you dream.
Namely, how the mind conjures the people and the locations I've never seen or heard of.
A few examples:
-I have dreamed of being in Thailand walking on river homes moored to the river bank. I was involved in arms trading.
-Walking on a sidewalk in front of a school (no idea where) with a wrought iron fence, the going in to use the bathroom in the basement. (this one several times)
-I've been in mansions and experienced the lives of Kings.
-In an abandoned rock house watching a tornado passing within a half mile.
-Chased many times by a triceratops.
-Driving down a road and coming upon a well known highway, but never drive onto it. (several identical dreams of this)
-Driving up a road lined with businesses in real life, but in the dream, the street to the right led to a beach and the ocean. (In TN????)
-Fishing on a fresh water inland lake with my daughter. I saw a gator and told her to paddle back to shore. We both got there at the same time, and the gator was beside her boat. I told her to get on the dock. After I got onto the dock, I looked for her but she was gone. Jumped on her boat just in time to see her in the mouth of the gator as it submerged. (No gators in TN that I know of)
-People I've worked with in the weirdest places. Places we'd never be.

Anyone else have these type dreams?

L1A1Rocker
03-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I've had a couple. One was very vivid. I had an encounter with a stranger that attempted to teach me to fly. First by diving off into a very big storm ditch and then up to buildings. I remeber the feeling of weightlesness and the tickle in my belly when swooping and flying. He then asked if I was ready? Now we are flying toward a city out in the distance acrows and ocean.

I wake up before we get there. I had a couple more flying dreams but was by myself trying to get to that city but always woke up before getting there. This was back when I was in collage and it felt so real that I wrote the whole thin down somewhere.

Full Otto
03-04-2011, 09:10 PM
I get ones with tornado's but from my house usually several rather than one.
Also get the street but in a large city no beach just caverns of skyscrapers

Oswald Bastable
03-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Chased many times by a triceratops.

Why would a triceratops chase a mammal? Triceratops was a vegetarian...

I used to have a haunted house dream where the deeper I'd get into the house, the stranger and more terrifying the dream became. Until I finally said "fuck it" one time and delved right to the center of the creepy/terrifying shit...the heart of the house where it all originated. I've never had that dream since.

Dreams are a way of confronting issues we refuse to confront in life, though they're in symbolic form.

Warthogg
03-04-2011, 10:13 PM
To the best of my knowledge, I have only had ONE dream in color.

Wart

slamfire51
03-04-2011, 10:14 PM

Don't know, could have been because I was wearing leaves for clothes. It was
the pre-caveman era.

See, dreams make no sense.

Full Otto
03-04-2011, 10:25 PM
I used to have a haunted house dream where the deeper I'd get into the house, the stranger and more terrifying the dream became. Until I finally said "fuck it" one time and delved right to the center of the creepy/terrifying shit...the heart of the house where it all originated. I've never had that dream since.

Wow that sounds familiar. Did you ever look into what was going on with that? just curious

Oswald Bastable
03-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Wow that sounds familiar. Did you ever look into what was going on with that? just curious

It was long ago when I finally nutted up to find what lay at the heart of the horror. As I recall, once I got there, there was a huge relief that it was nothing, or next to nothing to be afraid of...a fear of fear itself sort of revelation. No idea what it related to in my life, and frankly, I don't recall whether or not my life situation improved significantly afterward (it was that long ago...probably at least 20 years) but I do know that whatever that dream represented was deprived of its control over my nocturnal life once confronted. I strongly suspect it was me working out fears of both the unknown, but also of confronting change.

Ever have that realization while dreaming that you're dreaming? When that happens, try to remain in the dream, but try to force yourself to look at your hands. You'll be surprised by how hard it is to do, and how quickly you wake up when you do so. When you can both remain within the dream and force yourself to look at your hands...actually concentrate on them, you'll have begun to have lucid dreams. You can then begin to control your dreams and remain in command of them while still experiencing them dispassionately. It's a trip. :D

Full Otto
03-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Mine were a long time ago too. To be honest I don't want to remember to much about it I'd hate to start them up again I'm good with it.
Don't know if I could do that lucid dream thing but that does sound pretty heavy

mriddick
03-04-2011, 11:20 PM
I remember maybe 2 dreams a year, I guess I have dreams but for some reason I can't remember them.

O.S.O.K.
03-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Think of all the material available to your brain. All of the movies, books and personal experiences that it can draw on.

I have strange dreams too.

I think it's a sign of high intelligence :martinismiley:

;)

Solidus-snake
03-04-2011, 11:31 PM
I've had a couple. One was very vivid. I had an encounter with a stranger that attempted to teach me to fly. First by diving off into a very big storm ditch and then up to buildings. I remeber the feeling of weightlesness and the tickle in my belly when swooping and flying. He then asked if I was ready? Now we are flying toward a city out in the distance acrows and ocean.

I wake up before we get there. I had a couple more flying dreams but was by myself trying to get to that city but always woke up before getting there. This was back when I was in collage and it felt so real that I wrote the whole thin down somewhere.

I've had flying dreams too. Mist all if them I could only achieve short periods of flight, and the feeling was SO real. My physical body actually felt weightless. Weird part is that it seems that in the dream I know exactly.how to do it but.when I wake up its like that there's some small detail I can't remember.

Oswald Bastable
03-04-2011, 11:35 PM
I remember maybe 2 dreams a year, I guess I have dreams but for some reason I can't remember them.

Yeah, everybody dreams (for the most part, unless there's a psychological/medical/environmental condition that prevents it...combat comes to mind as an environmental one...hard to sleep at all in a water/mud filled trench/foxhole with shells falling all about) though many people just don't remember them. But dream deprivation experiments (monitored sleep, wake the subject the moment they enter REM sleep) have pretty much proven that without them, we'd all be psychotic within a few weeks.

FunkyPertwee
03-04-2011, 11:36 PM
I think that we invent our dreams as they go to fit the emotions we feel at the time. It can be based on what we did that day, or random firing of synapses.

Many of my dreams take place in a decayed apocalyptic version of the city I grew up in.

cevulirn
03-04-2011, 11:37 PM
I've had flying dreams too. Mist all if them I could only achieve short periods of flight, and the feeling was SO real. My physical body actually felt weightless. Weird part is that it seems that in the dream I know exactly.how to do it but.when I wake up its like that there's some small detail I can't remember.

About the only reocurring theme I've had in dreams is similar. Sometimes I'll dream that if I 'push down' hard enough with my arms, I can lift myself into the air and levitate, or float around.

Krupski
03-05-2011, 01:54 AM

If you were near a Triceratops nest with eggs, I'll bet the female would charge you. And those big horns would make quite the mess...

Oswald Bastable
03-05-2011, 01:59 AM
If you were near a Triceratops nest with eggs, I'll bet the female would charge you. And those big horns would make quite the mess...

Agreed, but that's a bit different from being on the lower end of the food chain and having a meat eater pursue you.

But hey, who knows...perhaps in a previous life slamfire was an egg sucker who pissed off a mama Tri. :D

slamfire51
03-05-2011, 07:47 AM
About the only reocurring theme I've had in dreams is similar. Sometimes I'll dream that if I 'push down' hard enough with my arms, I can lift myself into the air and levitate, or float around.

Wouldn't that be considered an "out of body experience"?

Agreed, but that's a bit different from being on the lower end of the food chain and having a meat eater pursue you.

But hey, who knows...perhaps in a previous life slamfire was an egg sucker who pissed off a mama Tri. :D

Who you calling an egg sucker?
j/k

nfa1934
03-05-2011, 08:55 AM
I have two that seem to come back from time to time. It's not unusual for me to dream that I'm in an amalgamation of several places from different times in my life that seems seamless and normal while I'm dreaming (for instance, I walk from the kitchen of my early childhood home into the living room of my home as a toddler then outside into the yard of my home as a teenager). Towns and regions are similarly jumbled, I've seen Nashville seamlessly turn into Doha, Qatar. People I've known are mixed into the wrong places too.

In the other dream, I'm loading magazines with something coming. I'm usually loading the magazines with something other than ammunition (typically pieces of twigs that I'm breaking off to the length of the magazine, then loading as if they were bullets). When I was a kid, my friends and I used to have wars with pellet guns where we would stick a twig in the end of the barrel instead of using pellets or BBs. These twig muzzleloaders would sting at short range. I'm guessing this is why my mind is associating twigs with ammo.

Full Otto
03-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I've had a few that seemed to have been premonition's.
I'll spare the details but can remember it dawning on me that I had a dream about something after it occurred later.

mrkalashnikov
03-05-2011, 09:56 AM
One dream that particularly stands out in memory I had about 20 years ago. I was walking in a ruined suburb of a city, sort of a post-apocalypse scenario. The buildings were ruined, a lot of debris was in the streets, along with rusted or burnt-out cars. I came to a commuter train station that had a two-story concrete building by it. There were people walking around a short distance from the building in a state of terror, I could feel their dread. Several of them came up to me & said, "Don't go in there, there's a monster loose & it's killing people".

For some reason I decided to go in and investigate. I walked into the building. The place was dark, and had a bad smell. The walls and floor were concrete, the ceiling plaster. There was a set of stairs on the far side of the room going to the 2nd floor. What I first thought was water dripping from the ceiling was actually blood, a lot of it, & running down the walls as well. I felt compelled to go towards the stairs and see what was there. I was in a state of terror at this point and began screaming to let whatever was upstairs know I was coming to kill it. I started to walk up the staircase...and then I woke up. I was sweating and my heart was racing. A classic nightmare I guess you could call it.

I've had variations of this dream since, usually involving abandonded, decrepit factory buildings, sometimes houses. There's always a feeling of dread and fear, that I'm advancing on some unseen monstrosity, & yelling to bolster my courage. I never actually see what is causing the terror, though.

slamfire51
03-05-2011, 10:09 AM
I also have dreams of my mom and dad. Both have passed, and the dreams are of me interacting with them as if they are still alive. Watching mom cook my favorite meals and helping dad around his place cutting trees and building a garage. All these things actually happened while they were alive.
These would be explainable since it actually happened. But the other dreams of places I have never dreamed of or imagined and people I've never met are beyond my comprehension.

FunkyPertwee
03-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Whenever my dreams involve survival my guns always jam, my knife breaks, and my boots go missing.

I swaer, one dream me and my father had to duck into this old house to get off the dangerous downtown streets, and when the zombies finally broke in I looked down and my boots and pistol were suddenly gone.

slamfire51
03-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Whenever my dreams involve survival my guns always jam, my knife breaks, and my boots go missing.

I swaer, one dream me and my father had to duck into this old house to get off the dangerous downtown streets, and when the zombies finally broke in I looked down and my boots and pistol were suddenly gone.

LMFAO!!!!

FunkyPertwee
03-05-2011, 12:06 PM
LMFAO!!!!

I figure my brain needed a nightmare and it wouldn't have been scary if I was ready to rock and roll.

The rest of the dream became sneaking through the shadows to recover my equipment. Hiding in the shadows, evading detection while finding an opportunity to strike my enemy is common in my dreams.

Many of my dreams have involved me on the run from a nefarious organization and me with only minimal equipment having to work my way through a large complex to find and rescue my loved ones while avoiding detection. One setting I recall was a beached battleship, rolled on its side at like a .45 degree angle. Large boardwalks and dock settings are common too, so that there is danger in falling off as well.

Cypher
03-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Think of all the images, pictures sights and sounds that you have experienced but can't consciously recall. I think the subconscious can recall a lot of things we can remember and also create images from things we have experienced.

btcave
03-05-2011, 04:25 PM
The strangest I've had has happened 3 times. I looked it up and it's called a sleep paralysis. Your consciousness becomes aware before the REM cycle ends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I wake up, I am fully aware that I'm laying in bed. I can hear my wife breathing next to me, but I can't open my eyes and I'm in full paralysis.

The last time it happened was about 13 years ago. I tried to move like I had when it happened before. Then I took control and tried to force myself to move. The experience I felt was that I moved my arm out of my body, like a spiritual arm, and move that arm through my wife lying next to me. Shit you not I was aware of her tossing over after I did it. Then the weirdest part was I then forced myself out of my body and moved (not walked) about the room. The whole room was a glow in blue and dark as well. I looked back and saw us in our bed. Again, it wasn't like looking through my own eyes. Everything was there, but "looked" unreal. Then I lost control and snapped back into my body and became fully awake.

I think this fits the definition of an out of body experience. Did I leave my body? I doubt it, but it felt so real that for the rest of the next day I had this weird sense of peace. It had a definite spiritual affect immediately afterward, that diminished in a short time. I wish I could do it again, but it hasn't happened since.

slamfire51
03-05-2011, 05:46 PM
The strangest I've had has happened 3 times. I looked it up and it's called a sleep paralysis. Your consciousness becomes aware before the REM cycle ends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I wake up, I am fully aware that I'm laying in bed. I can hear my wife breathing next to me, but I can't open my eyes and I'm in full paralysis.

The last time it happened was about 13 years ago. I tried to move like I had when it happened before. Then I took control and tried to force myself to move. The experience I felt was that I moved my arm out of my body, like a spiritual arm, and move that arm through my wife lying next to me. Shit you not I was aware of her tossing over after I did it. Then the weirdest part was I then forced myself out of my body and moved (not walked) about the room. The whole room was a glow in blue and dark as well. I looked back and saw us in our bed. Again, it wasn't like looking through my own eyes. Everything was there, but "looked" unreal. Then I lost control and snapped back into my body and became fully awake.

I think this fits the definition of an out of body experience. Did I leave my body? I doubt it, but it felt so real that for the rest of the next day I had this weird sense of peace. It had a definite spiritual affect immediately afterward, that diminished in a short time. I wish I could do it again, but it hasn't happened since.

That does sound like an OBE.
There was a special on this on the Science Channel a while back.
It's kinda like you spirit leaving your body. You are aware of your surroundings and the strange thing about them is you can go anywhere, not just the bedroom.
That would be an exceptional experience, IMO.