PDA

View Full Version : Tritium on front sight only?

ready
07-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Anyone have their weapon set up like this? With all the focus on the front sight during a gunfight, I think it makes sense. Opinions?

RJ Shooter
07-29-2010, 03:57 PM
My M&P 9mm has a fiber-optic front sight, and I have my Novak rear sight blacked out. I find that I can get on target much, much faster with just the front sight standing out...

I still use a proper sight picture, but the focus is on the front sight only.

old Grump
07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Not tritium but I put a fiber optic bead on the front of my 1920's era J Stevens 12 gauge pump. Not for gun fighting but quick acquisition for old eyes in the field and its made a ton of difference for old eyes to get hold of. Maybe its just me but anything that puts your eyes on the front sight has to be a good thing no matter what you are using it for.

07-29-2010, 04:12 PM
3 tritium dots can be a bit confusing to line up horizontally in the dark in my opinion and experience.

ready
07-29-2010, 04:12 PM
That's my train of thought, too. Most of my handguns that I put night sights on have orange rear and green front for that reason but I'm thinking about trying out front sight only and see how it works.

07-29-2010, 04:21 PM
I got some cool ghost ring sights from entreprise.com? (the fal place) for my USP. The ghost ring helps focus towards the front post, but I think if I did it over I'd go for the non-tritium ghost ring on the rear sights. The tritium post on the front of an AR is nice though.

justinsaneok
07-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Anyone have their weapon set up like this? With all the focus on the front sight during a gunfight, I think it makes sense. Opinions?

No All green But like the idea off different rear sight yellow or orange.

swampdragon
07-29-2010, 05:10 PM
I got some cool ghost ring sights from entreprise.com? (the fal place) for my USP. The ghost ring helps focus towards the front post, but I think if I did it over I'd go for the non-tritium ghost ring on the rear sights. The tritium post on the front of an AR is nice though.

I had that same ghost ring a few years back. It came in a set with front sight too.
Don't know if it still does.
Never could get used to it.
Went back to standard fixed rear, but kept the tritium front sight.

Mark Ducati
07-29-2010, 05:12 PM
I have a tritium front sight only on my go-to AR.... that's only because I couldn't find a rear tritium that would fit my ARMS rear flip up BUIS.

At least in low light as the sun sets, I can get a bead on target... MOA suffers, but hey, I can still hit a man sized target somewhere at 100 yards.

TEN-32
07-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Yea, absolutely! I have a Mossy 500 and a Ruger LCR both with an XS dot on the front and no real rear sight to speak of.
http://a.imageshack.us/img195/5867/img00194201522.jpg

ready
07-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I wanna get that XS big dot for my S&W 340PD, too.

shadow65
07-29-2010, 06:05 PM
I have an AR set up with tritium front and rear. The rear is distracting. I don't really see the value of a tritium sight on an AR outside of a war zone.
I want to be able to ID my target. I use a light on my set ups.
I do use night sights on my hand guns. I can't really explain what is different except the distance from my eyes to the rear sight. It's easier for me to pick up than the AR.
But I use a light on the hand gun also.

RJ Shooter
07-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Took a pic of my HiViz fiber optic front sight, with rear dots blacked out. You can see how much more visible the front sight is, when the rear is darkened. This is wonderful when engaging multiple targets in IDPA, and I would assume, in "Real-World" situations...

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/506/medium/FrontSight.jpg

ready
07-31-2010, 06:05 PM
I like that. I just bumped out the tritiums rears on my USP and put the factory black irons back in. KISS, put green dot on center of mass, pull trigger, repeat as necessary.

HDR
08-01-2010, 06:20 AM
It doesn't work well without practice. Another one is removing sights to prevent snags.

abpt1
08-01-2010, 09:07 AM
3 tritium dots can be a bit confusing to line up horizontally in the dark in my opinion and experience.
I dont think so .