PDA

View Full Version : Got a favorite instant coffee?

Altarboy
03-06-2011, 03:16 PM
When I go on hikes, I like to whip out the ole' msr stove and make coffee. I've been taking Starbucks Via, but as my son says, it tastes like it was filtered through a mummy. Really, it's bad and it's not cheap either. Since the guys on this board are men of higher tastes, I figure somebody here can recommend a good coffee for the trail.

63DH8
03-06-2011, 04:18 PM
When I went out on field exercises, I used to take a peculator and coffee grounds. If I couldn't get grounds or if I had to move light, it was Folgers instant. Throw several saltine crackers in the jar to keep the humidity from ruining the instant stuff.

old Grump
03-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Don't have a favorite but I have uses for it that most of you don't. I can't stand to drink any of it but a tsp of decaff coffee in any brownie mix makes the chocolate taste more chocolaty and a couple of heaping tsp full added to any chili recipe adds a little heartiness I like. I don't do it often because I don't usually have any instant in the house but when I do I use it.

Dang it, now I have a hankering for brownies.

mriddick
03-06-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't drink coffee but my wife has to have international brands french vanilla.

Krupski
03-06-2011, 05:27 PM
When I go on hikes, I like to whip out the ole' msr stove and make coffee. I've been taking Starbucks Via, but as my son says, it tastes like it was filtered through a mummy. Really, it's bad and it's not cheap either. Since the guys on this board are men of higher tastes, I figure somebody here can recommend a good coffee for the trail.

I do not drink instant coffee. Ugh.

vit
03-06-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't drink coffee but my wife has to have international brands french vanilla.

Sounds like neither of you are coffee drinkers...

AKTexas
03-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Instant is not ever an option.I have never been that hard up to even consider instant.

mriddick
03-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Sounds like neither of you are coffee drinkers...

It's even worse, she pays $7 a small can for the stuff....

HDR
03-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I do not drink instant coffee. Ugh.

Ditto, it doesn't taste good. :D

Instant is not ever an option.I have never been that hard up to even consider instant.

I bought some for power outages and ended up buying a percolator coffee pot. :D

AKTexas
03-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Ditto, it doesn't taste good. :D

I bought some for power outages and ended up buying a percolator coffee pot. :D

I have one of the old ones from the 50's and it works fine for my coffee needs,I have instant Folgers instant once and gagged.

LAGC
03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
When I was in prison I had the chance to sample various instant coffees off the commissary. I didn't much care for Folgers instant... Taster's Choice was alright, but I liked Maxwell House instant the best, and it was only $8 a jar at the time too and it lasted a whole month, which is good, because we only got paid $30/month for our grueling prison slave-labor. (Free room and board though, so I can't complain too much.) For some reason it tasted a lot better than even the regular brew Maxwell House on the outs, so even if you don't particularly like regular Maxwell House give the instant a try. When all you have is a hot pot to boil water, beggars can't be choosers.

El Duce
03-06-2011, 08:21 PM
In a pinch, I'll use those coffee "tea bags". Not really instant. But, the taste is not too bad, and it works.

TEN-32
03-06-2011, 08:58 PM
When I was in prison I had the chance to sample various instant coffees off the commissary. I didn't much care for Folgers instant... Taster's Choice was alright, but I liked Maxwell House instant the best, and it was only $8 a jar at the time too and it lasted a whole month, which is good, because we only got paid $30/month for our grueling prison slave-labor. (Free room and board though, so I can't complain too much.) For some reason it tasted a lot better than even the regular brew Maxwell House on the outs, so even if you don't particularly like regular Maxwell House give the instant a try. When all you have is a hot pot to boil water, beggars can't be choosers.

No shit lefty. How was the chow? You get lots of dates?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=077UtUWGQOA

Dr. Gonzo GED
03-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I find myself appalled to see that LAGC and I finally have a common ground.

If you mus go freeze dried, go Maxwell house.

(avoid anything with "flavor crystals", you ever seen "crystals" in your coffee grind?!?!!?o.0)

mriddick
03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
In a pinch, I'll use those coffee "tea bags". Not really instant. But, the taste is not too bad, and it works.

You know your thread coming after LAGC's prison post, the whole Tea bag reference works... :)

Altarboy
03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Sweet Lord that video is the scrariest thing I have ever seen. I will never again break a law of any kind.

63DH8
03-07-2011, 12:29 AM

I almost forgot about Maxwell house instant coffee. It's good if you don't have beans.

stevelyn
03-07-2011, 06:48 AM
I usually make cowboy coffee if I'm in a camp. If we're on the move it's Tasters Choice.

Helen Keller
03-07-2011, 09:45 AM
my son says, it tastes like it was filtered through a mummy.

:rotflmbao:

I had some Folgers instant the other day..
I'd rather have my cat piss in a cup and drink that.

I'm ok with Maxwell House instant.

I think it all tastes horrible.

I usually make cowboy coffee

I'd prefer that any day.

Mark Ducati
03-07-2011, 01:24 PM
I use the JetBoil "backpack" cooking unit... it cooks dehydrated food, soups, coffee, tea, hot chocolate...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410hfrWe4yL._SS500_.jpg

The JetBoil main unit is about $85 bucks, then for another $15-20 you get the "coffee press" which is nothing more than a screen, toss the coffee grounds into the hot water, press the screen down and you just filtered coffee in about 10 seconds.

Works great.... I highly recommend them for your back pack... this unit is so effective, you can literally boil water in about 90 seconds.

Mark Ducati
03-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I've also used these "stove top" espresso makers.... they're literally about the size of a baseball.... fill with water/grounds and the built in screen filters the espresso...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WWYfGYoTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've boiled over coals in the campfire, open flame, stove top... best results other than my gas stove I've found is to shuffle come red coal embers to the side of your camp fire evenly and just let this sit directly on top of them. Then the trick is to catch the coffee as soon as it starts to come through... only takes 30 seconds, you'll need a small espresso cup or what I use in the field is just a stainless steel 1/2 cup measuring cup.

If you can somehow, its best to get some of those red ember/coals outside of the fire if the fire is still going pretty good... that tall black piece of plastic between the aluminum housing and the brass tube can melt! If boiling directly in the firering, albeit on the periphery, I've also used a large piece of flagstone that I sat on the side to act as a heat barrier between it and the rest of the fire... just some ideas on cooking with a camp fire... it can be done, but needs a little finessce