PDA

View Full Version : Went on a scout campout this weekend - survival merit badge

O.S.O.K.
03-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Both of my sons are Eagle Scouts and I spent 8 years in scouts as a Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster. After my youngest son earned his Eagle, I kinda backed off, needing a break.

Well, I decided that I could start helping with the adult leadership again - especially on campouts and such as this is sadly one of the hardest things to get enough of....

So Saturday and this morning, I served as the #2 adult on a camp out on a local ranch that the owner has kindly allowed our troop to use for several campouts (we are very conciencious and show it by the way we act, the service projects we do there and the way we leave our sites).

Anyhoo, the merit badge that was on-tap for this campout was the wilderness survival badge which requires the scouts to build a survival shelter and sleep in it overnight. They also earned the "polar bear" badge as it got down below freezing last night.

My son decided to participate even though he already earned the badge some time ago... he helped one of the new boys, a standard practice with the scouts - another good thing.

They made pretty good shelters. They were easily as good as survivorman or Beahr Grril. :lool:

And to top off the trip, the owner of the ranch invited the Scoutmaster and myself to bring anybody we wanted to and hunt the bothersome hogs on his ranch :) :) :)

So, I'm going to take him up on this offer - and bring my son to do just that. The owner will be getting some sausage and salami in the bargain.

Just shows what proper behavior will do for you. Several other troops were invited to camp on his ranch but not invited back....

Boyscouts is such a great organization and the survival training and preparedness is just one of the many great things that make it so.

ETA: Here's a pic of the lean-to - my son on the right (with the new boy that he was paired with):

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5016/5504527358_bfd11509fb_b.jpg

ubersoldate
03-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Good to hear!!

I was in the German version of boy scouts for years, My brother was in the American..Been around it for years.
Cant wait to get my sons involved.

Both of my sons are Eagle Scouts and I spent 8 years in scouts as a Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster. After my youngest son earned his Eagle, I kinda backed off, needing a break.

Well, I decided that I could start helping with the adult leadership again - especially on campouts and such as this is sadly one of the hardest things to get enough of....

So Saturday and this morning, I served as the #2 adult on a camp out on a local ranch that the owner has kindly allowed our troop to use for several campouts (we are very conciencious and show it by the way we act, the service projects we do there and the way we leave our sites).

Anyhoo, the merit badge that was on-tap for this campout was the wilderness survival badge which requires the scouts to build a survival shelter and sleep in it overnight.

My son decided to participate even though he already earned the badge some time ago...

They made pretty good shelters. They were easily as good as survivorman or Beahr Grril. :lool:

And to top off the trip, the owner of the ranch invited the Scoutmaster and myself to bring anybody we wanted to and hunt the bothersome hogs on his ranch :) :) :)

So, I'm going to take him up on this offer - and bring my son to do just that. The owner will be getting some sausage and salami in the bargain.

Just shows what proper behavior will do for you. Several other troops were invited to camp on his ranch but not invited back....

Boyscouts is such a great organization and the survival training and preparedness is just one of the many great things that make it so.

Full Otto
03-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Brings back my Klondike Derby days.
I have a sidewall tent that was from one of the original troops in NW Indiana still fully usable.

Sounds like a good weekend

HDR
03-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Good read, thanks!

awp101
03-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Not impressive unless you get the Zombie Defense tab to go along with it.

:jump:

coppertales
03-06-2011, 09:07 PM
seen AWP101? That experience is scary enough for it's own merit badge........chris3:p

awp101
03-06-2011, 09:18 PM
:bigsmilebounce:

O.S.O.K.
03-07-2011, 10:28 AM
He he - I can assure you that these boys would love to have a zombie defense set-up. Some hogs would have been sacrificed in practicing. :)

The whole hillside below where the boys set-up their shelters was covered in hog scat.

I can't wait to get back there with my son ( or son's ) and pop a few of them :)

O.S.O.K.
03-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Good to hear!!

I was in the German version of boy scouts for years, My brother was in the American..Been around it for years.
Cant wait to get my sons involved.

Just wanted to say that you are in for a real treat - its awsome to watch your boys grow and develop and master skills and learn leadership that very few of their "peers" (using the term loosely) will ever have. And the troop that you join will really appreciate having somebody like you involved and helping out. Not to mention that its an incredible opportunity for you to be an example for your boys and strengthen your relationship with them. And it's still a man's gig. Yes, women do get involved but for the most part, the men are doing the camping, etc. - boys need as much male exposure as possible in today's world...

I can just see/hear you now with an accoustic guitar sitting by the fire - that really adds to a campout. :D

Mark Ducati
03-08-2011, 06:04 PM
That is Awesome!

My son just started scouting (Tiger's) this last fall when he got into first grade... remember way back when your son started?

We've got our first PineWood Derby on the 26th this month.... I roughed the car out on a table top sander, he hand smoothed it out and spray painted it himself... a couple rub on decals and we're good to go.

We also built a boat for the Rain Gutter Regatta... the boat was a lot easier to build than the car.

My son is kind of ADHD (Imagine that)... we've been talking about win/lose/show/whatever the act of participating and being part of something as more important.. we're having a great time with scouting and as long as he'll stay with it, I'll be there too... I've been to every meeting he's been to.

On a side note, I've had 4 Eagle Scouts as patients of mine in the last 8 years... ALL of them self-disciplined, polite, respectful, self-motivated... I'd be proud as heck if my son turned out like any of them.

Good for you one your son's accomplishment and your guidance.... Good Job!

O.S.O.K.
03-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks Mark and good on you man. Keep it up. We started in cub scouts and then backed off until scouts. The boys didn't really like the cubs... but they both took to scouts, so it's all good.