PDA

View Full Version : Took My Wife To The Beach

ltorlo64
03-06-2011, 07:45 PM
I spent all day in bed because I was amazingly tired and I somehow kinked my neck. My wife spent most of the day working on puzzles and reading her new Kindle while I slept. We did take a nice walk. We also did not turn on the TV, so when I was awake we had very good discussions.

On the trip there we saw a heard of elk that was about 100 strong. On the way home we saw a doe and on our walk there was a bald eagle in a tree that a bunch of crows were messing with. All in all, it was a great weekend.

Now my wife is going to make vegetarian chili. It is a great way to end the weekend.

mriddick
03-06-2011, 08:36 PM
The beach in Washington state in early March doesn't sound warm but it's always nice to be around family and those you love. BTW what exactly is in vegetarian chili?

ltorlo64
03-06-2011, 08:41 PM
The beach in Washington state in early March doesn't sound warm but it's always nice to be around family and those you love. BTW what exactly is in vegetarian chili?

We seldom go to the beach in the summer here. We love to watch the storms come in off the ocean. The place we stay is up on a cliff about a 100' over the beach, so we can see out for miles.

As for the chilli, well there is vegatables, beans and spices. Actually, she uses the Schilling chilli mix and instead of meat she uses Grillers Crumbles. We are not vegetarian, though we don't eat alot of meat, especially beef, but we really like the way the Grillers tastes in the chilli.

mriddick
03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks, I might try some of that.

ltorlo64
03-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks, I might try some of that.

Forgot to say we are having the vegetarian chilli over chicken hotdogs. It that ironic or what?

swampdragon
03-07-2011, 01:09 AM
I spent all day in bed because I was amazingly tired and I somehow kinked my neck. My wife spent most of the day working on puzzles and reading her new Kindle while I slept. We did take a nice walk. We also did not turn on the TV, so when I was awake we had very good discussions.

On the trip there we saw a heard of elk that was about 100 strong. On the way home we saw a doe and on our walk there was a bald eagle in a tree that a bunch of crows were messing with. All in all, it was a great weekend.

Now my wife is going to make vegetarian chili. It is a great way to end the weekend.

I have a piece of driftwood and a stone full of holes I picked up off the Beach in Washington as a souvenir.
I went hiking all over there too.
Absolutely beautiful country. Amazing even.
I was at "Olympic?" "Olympia?" up North.
I'd love to go back again one day.
Not only was the beach really cool, but the forest was unreal.
Like being in a dream or something...
Washington is Awesome.

ltorlo64
03-07-2011, 09:10 AM
I have a piece of driftwood and a stone full of holes I picked up off the Beach in Washington as a souvenir.
I went hiking all over there too.
Absolutely beautiful country. Amazing even.
I was at "Olympic?" "Olympia?" up North.
I'd love to go back again one day.
Not only was the beach really cool, but the forest was unreal.
Like being in a dream or something...
Washington is Awesome.

Sounds like you were near where we stayed. We were at Pacific Beach, which is a military retreat right on the coast. Used to be a Navy Radio station. Right next to the Olympic Rain Forest. Not alot of people and because of that there is great scenery and nature stuff to do. There is a place about 20 miles away called Ocean Shores where alot of people go to vacation. This is just as good and not nearly as expensive.

swampdragon
03-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Sounds like you were near where we stayed. We were at Pacific Beach, which is a military retreat right on the coast. Used to be a Navy Radio station. Right next to the Olympic Rain Forest. Not alot of people and because of that there is great scenery and nature stuff to do. There is a place about 20 miles away called Ocean Shores where alot of people go to vacation. This is just as good and not nearly as expensive.

Olympic Rain Forest. Yep. That's it.
:thumbsup:

We drove up there from Ft Lewis and spent a few days.
You're right, there was not many people there. I was surprised by how peaceful and non-crowded it all was.

davepool
03-07-2011, 09:49 PM
What's the best time of year to visit the area? I was born at Ft Lewis army hospital in 1952 and have wanted to go see the place all my life.

ltorlo64
03-07-2011, 10:10 PM
What's the best time of year to visit the area? I was born at Ft Lewis army hospital in 1952 and have wanted to go see the place all my life.

Depends on what you want to do. My wife and I enjoy watching the storms so going in the winter is best. If you like to hike, the spring and summer is best. If you want to fish, summer and if you want to hunt, the fall is best. If you would like to watch a salmon run, again it is the fall. If you would like fewer people, go in the fall or winter. This equates to lower prices, but it also means that some things are not open or are not being done. For instance, at Pacific Beach Resort, the military resort, during the spring and summer they have all you can eat barbaque beef ribs on Friday nights. Actually, each night there is a different buffet style dinner. The BBQ beef ribs are my favorite, so if we go during that time I make sure we are there in time for dinner. Anyway, each season has its good points (and its bad points).

swampdragon
03-07-2011, 10:11 PM

It rains there off and on, all year 'round really.
But I'd think the summer months would be better for the beach and forest hiking....unless you are a fan of cold, wet and snow.

btcave
03-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Summer at Sequim, WA New Dungeness lighthouse at the end of a 5 mile spit of land. My wife was a light keeper here for a year, about 20 years ago. We went last year so she could show her children. It was a beautiful summer day.

The light.
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/4633/dsc00299n.jpg

The spit.
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1872/dsc00297y.jpg

The spit at the beginning.
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6580/dsc00291i.jpg

ltorlo64
03-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Summer at Sequim, WA New Dungeness lighthouse at the end of a 5 mile spit of land. My wife was a light keeper here for a year, about 20 years ago. We went last year so she could show her children. It was a beautiful summer day.

The light.
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/4633/dsc00299n.jpg

The spit.
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1872/dsc00297y.jpg

The spit at the beginning.
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6580/dsc00291i.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Washington is a beautiful state. Too bad it Seattle and Tacoma have so many liberals that they drive the rest of the state. It is the only thing I don't like about living here.

btcave
03-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Not much better down here in Oregon.

swampdragon
03-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Here's a couple pics of the Rain Forest too, just for people who have never seen it.
Your state is beautiful...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/42ef3a43.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/a8e8b4d9.jpg

63DH8
03-08-2011, 04:44 AM
Sounds like we need a Pac-Northwest BBQ!

While you guys are in the North West, please check out the east side of Washington State. The contrast is very different! You would think you're in Germany, Texas, Kansas/Nebraska, and the Grand Canyon area all with-in a few hours. As you cross the Columbia River where I-90 crosses, you are in an area where you can pick up petrified wood. There is an ancient petrified Ginko forest on the west side of the bridge, on the north side of the interstate. You can either buy gemstones at the shop, or go rock hounding on your own.

ltorlo64
03-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Sounds like we need a Pac-Northwest BBQ!

While you guys are in the North West, please check out the east side of Washington State. The contrast is very different! You would think you're in Germany, Texas, Kansas/Nebraska, and the Grand Canyon area all with-in a few hours. As you cross the Columbia River where I-90 crosses, you are in an area where you can pick up petrified wood. There is an ancient petrified Ginko forest on the west side of the bridge, on the north side of the interstate. You can either buy gemstones at the shop, or go rock hounding on your own.

My wife is from Walla Walla and my daughter is going to college over there. I don't get to spend nearly enought time on that side of the state. That is actually where I do most of my hunting. I enjoy upland birds (pheasant, quail etc) and there is not alot of that on this side.