PDA

View Full Version : It's time! Garden pics - post em up!

O.S.O.K.
03-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Here's ours - I doubled the size from last year and this time, I followed the wife's advice and went and got a couple yards of horse manuer compost and tilled it into the garden. Looks good! I placed a trelis and the tomato cages that I had on-hand yesterday... need to make some more for the rest of the tomatoes - we have 12 plants - 4 different types. Have bush beans in the second row and peppers in the middle of third with zucs on either end. The trelis is for cucs if we decide to try that again this year (bombed last year). And on the ends of the trelis row, some more bush beans probably.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5291/5505838665_502c043859_b.jpg

You can see my helper there - 13 years old and still going strong :)

Here's the tomato cages closer:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5257/5506436130_d1cb47b37a_b.jpg

As you can see - t-posts with weld-wire made into rounds and stacked - I had to cut "windows" to allow harvesting. We also have milk jugs placed (need more) into the soil between the plants to allow for deep watering. The plastic pots were used to cover the plants last night as it got a bit cold. Probably won't have to do that much any more!

I was reading the other garden post and specifically - recon's potato tower information - I may have to add some of those off to one side - we like potatoes!!! I wonder if it's too hot here though... have to check into that.

shorthair
03-07-2011, 12:11 PM
I do the same thing with my tomato cages and poke myself reaching in.lol I like the idea of the in ground water jugs too. I'm looking into the potato cages cause of the rocky soil.

I have many volunteer potatoes. I just go over and transplant them into the prepared beds. I use a post hole digger to make a hole in the bed.

I have about foot of annual rye to turn under. How long should I wait to plant after I turn the rye under?

aliceinchains
03-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Nice looking garden. I see the pooch like it to. I still have some snow in mine but will be starting seed inside shortly.

00RedZX-6R
03-07-2011, 04:00 PM
My garden is still under about a foot of snow. I am dubbling the size this year. Al lmy plants are on order, and the seeds are in the house. I will notbe planting anything in the greenhouse for at least another month.

Solidus-snake
03-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Im definitely going to be visiting this thread often. I am so far behind, havent even started tilling my area yet. This will be me and my wifes first year gardening at our new house so wish us luck!

Still got alot of landscaping to do so when it warms a little im going to be super busy.

OSOK, thats a REALLY neat idea there with the milk jugs. I just might try it, thats a really cheap irrigation method.

hawk1911
03-12-2011, 11:07 PM
This is my first year to try my hand at gardening. I will post some pics soon. So far pretty busy with it and not much to show. Cut the sod off of a 4 by 20 patch in the back yard. Started a compost pile, and started some seedlings. While waiting for the seed to come up in the trays I still have to till in some store bought soil since I dont have any compost ready to go yet. If this thing works out for me then by fall I dont think that I will have to buy much soil from then on. So far everything is by hand since Im cheap so the tilling is alot of work!

O.S.O.K.
03-17-2011, 06:34 PM
So far, so good. Gotta get a move on making those extra tomato cages - this weekend...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5295/5536102382_d4426e3319_b.jpg

recon
03-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Still have about 1 month and a half yet to plant things.

coppertales
03-17-2011, 10:37 PM
two feet high and some have tomatos about the size of marbles so far. Mine are in pots as I have the worst dirt in the state in my yard. chris3

btcave
03-17-2011, 11:24 PM
You'll see mine in a couple of months yet. Zone 8 here in Oregon, with the last frost around Mothers Day. Your garden is inspiring OSOK. Thanks for sharing.

Goodman
03-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Still have about 1 month and a half yet to plant things.
Where are you? Are you talking about planting seeds or starts?
I'm headed to NEPA in a couple weeks and am trying to get a handle on how tight the timing is going to be for putting in a garden. Thanks

O.S.O.K.
03-18-2011, 07:18 PM
You'll see mine in a couple of months yet. Zone 8 here in Oregon, with the last frost around Mothers Day. Your garden is inspiring OSOK. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. You might think about a simple "hoop" greenhouse to allow you to plant a month earlier.... this is just a simple hoop type tunnel with plastic over it.

O.S.O.K.
03-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Update - things are lookin good. :)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5028/5561453295_ab4fa2f863_b.jpg

btcave
03-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Update - things are lookin good. :)

Very nice!

This was mine being planted last year. Note the deer fence. I have to repair it before we start. Were going to expand it some this year.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9213/dsc00194xz.jpg

O.S.O.K.
03-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Very nice! And is that your "dear" in the pic? Mine works on the garden with me too.

I just got through laying down some landscaping barrier and planting two kinds of watermellon and some Romanian yard long cucumber. I layed the barrier down and cut holes for the planintings - this will give them something to grow over and keep the weeds out... hopefully.

In Mississippi, the garderners have to put electric fences (one strand does it apparently) around the gardens to keep the deer out. I don't know about the other critters....

I still like the idea of a hot house that you can secure and that allows year-round growing.

btcave
03-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Very nice! And is that your "dear" in the pic? Mine works on the garden with me too..

Yup, that's her. The boss. She sure is a pretty lady. Don't know why she hangs around with me. We need bug and slug control more than weed control. We had some pest's make a meal of some things last year. I used Sevin dust. Seemed to work rather well. I wish we had a well for water. We're using water from the co-op. About $50 a month during mid summer. Of course Oregon don't get as hot as Texas very often. Sunny and in the 70's, 80's and 90's in July through mid-October. Before and after is rain, rain and more rain.

O.S.O.K.
03-26-2011, 05:14 PM
The sevin is good but make some slug traps for those. You just use little containers (like spray can tops) and set them down even with the ground - and fill 3/4 of the way with beer. Yep, slugs is beeraholics and will climb right in for a drink and drown themselves. Works like a charm :)

slamfire51
03-26-2011, 06:40 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6-20-05014.jpg

Here's mine. Things are really jumping for March.

Just kidding.
This is my garden 3 yrs ago. This year I plan to make it even larger. More corn and tomatoes (had 16 plants in pic) and I'm going to can a lot of the veggies. With the cost or everything sky rocketing, canning will help with the food budget.

O.S.O.K.
03-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Nice! No varmint problems huh?

slamfire51
03-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Nice! No varmint problems huh?

No varmints until Sept. after the turnip greens are off to a good start.
The groundhogs always got more than their fair share.
My dog took care of them.
I've never had any rabbits bother anything.
I have well mannered critters around, I guess.