PDA

View Full Version : What do I have? (pics)

George
03-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi all, I am new to the forum and am trying o find some info about some new guns I just got. I did some trading with a guy and this was one of the guns I got in the trade, he said it was a SKS but I think it looks like an Egyptian RML AKM. What do you guys know about it? What is something like this worth? Thanks for your help.
~George
http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/127/456a0e1a16ad440ab1a6d91d54316ed0/l.jpg
http://a1.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/144/1b3304e3ef9d450e9551e9e821c58532/l.jpg
http://a3.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/115/4639ea1ec9094fa08bbe5453214b3362/l.jpg
http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/113/bd02dce724214fab9b968073e1d65dd5/l.jpg

Full Otto
03-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Not an sks for sure. This has a simple explanation
http://www.ak-47.us/Article_Detail.php?g=content1146684385

Looks like he was trying to bring it back to original. That wood doesn't look Egyptian at least the stock.
Price wise couldn't say plus minus $600 maybe it's been messed with a little

Sorry I didn't notice 1st post

Welcome

imanaknut
03-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the group, George !!! :welcome:

You are right, you have an Egyptian AKM, a Maadi RML as stamped on the receiver. Those were and still are really nice AK variants.

If you like the plastic stock set, enjoy. If not, install the wood stock and find your favorite pistol grip. It is hard to tell from the picture where they came from, but the stock and lower handguard do not appear to be Egyptian, most likely Romanian.

The two mags are Chinese, which I personally prefer because they don't have that spine that can make mag changes painful. ;)

It appears you have a replacement gas block with the bayo lug intact, which is nice if you care to go through the hassle of making the change.

In all, these days an RML is going for around $600 and add in a few dollars for what appears to be a Chinese bayo, the plastic ATI stock set, and the replacement gas block and you wind up with a nice package that definitely is not an SKS! :D

skatedcshoes
03-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Welcome George and very nice trade.

George
03-07-2011, 01:32 PM
This was thrown into the deal with a few other guns to sweeten the pot on a trade for a old gun I had had for years. I had no idea this "SKS" was worth more than a couple hundred dollars. I was very happy to learn what it really is. I guess I will pick up a pistol grip for it an put the wooden stock back on.

Solidus-snake
03-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the Forum, hope to see more posts from you.

Looks like a nice gun to me, I kinda like the stock myself. Always been a fan of the vented upper handguards, I had one on my Norinco SKS.

Speaking of SKS's, hahah your post reminded me so much of all the ol farts round here in my area who cant tell the difference between a SKS and AK variant, despite the OBVIOUS features.
I can have my Arsenal AK-74 at the range shooting it, with ALL black synthetic furniture mind you, and some good ol boy will ask me about my SKS. Im not an asshole though, ill kindly explain what it is and the differences between the two.

Anyways, again welcome to the forum.

George
03-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the info guys. I am going to go to a gun show this weekend to try to find some ammo for it, an maybe some bigger mags and a pistol grip. Is there any old military ammo that you guys recommend? I have heard that certain ammo will ruin the gun due to its corrosive properties. Is Russian better than Chinese or Egyptian for entrance?

btcave
03-07-2011, 11:24 PM
You did very well.

Solidus-snake
03-08-2011, 02:24 AM
You can't go wrong with Wolf or Brown Bear ammunition. Your likely to see some Yugo surplus, which is brass cased and comes commonly in brown boxes with foreign lettering, this stuff is good but corrosive.

Corrosive ammo is fine to use as long as you clean your gun within a short time like at least a day, using hot soapy wat3r. This washes away and dissolves the corrosive salts placed in your gun by the corrosive ammo. Be sure to thoroughly dry the gun and then clean and lube it like you normally would.

I hope this helps.

George
03-12-2011, 10:51 PM
I got a few things at the gun show. I did not however find a original pistol grip, but a dealer did tell me he would bring a few for me to look at during the a show next weekend. What original color pistol grips did they come out with in what country? What would fit my gun best if I put that wooden stock on?
I did buy some ammo, some silver bear and brown bear. They were the same price I got a few HP and some FMJ to see which I like best. I also found a guy that had brass casings with Remington powder, is that the way to go? He was charging a little more than the brown bear but he told me to save my shells and he will give me a discount on the next ones.

romak10/63UF
03-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Nice Ak-47 ! egyptian akm an the date 1957 thats a preban ! Good trade !

imanaknut
03-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Nice Ak-47 ! egyptian akm an the date 1957 thats a preban ! Good trade !

I don't know where you get the date of that rifle being 1957, which would put it a few years before the Egyptians started making them. The RML is a post-Bush-ban rifle. Oh, anD they are AKMs. :eyebrows:

imanaknut
03-12-2011, 11:17 PM
George, check here for pistol grips for a Maadi. They did come in dark brown and black as offered on this site: https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/21_87

George
03-13-2011, 10:07 AM
thanks, looks like a good site. I ordered the black grip.

George
03-17-2011, 12:11 AM
I got the pistol grip on, looks great. Now I have a question about the muzzle brake its held on by a set screw so I took it off to look to see if the tip of the barrel was threaded, its not. Can I just thread the barrel tip or did they grind off the threads leaving the barrel too small to screw on different muzzle brakes? Does any one know a good place to find an Egyptian sling and the cleaning kit parts that would be inside the butt?