PDA

View Full Version : very strange call

BlueFletch
03-07-2011, 07:58 PM
This morning, about quarter til eleven AM I get a phone call and caller ID says "Bureau of ATF" so I answer.
"Hello."
"This is the ATF, is this Mr. Blue Fletch?"
"Yes."
"Are you making multiple handgun sales?"
"No."
"Thank you."
CLICK
Tried calling the number back, busy signals.
My wife did some online searches of the number, unlisted but found out it goes to the ATF firearm trace center in Martinsburg, WV.
I've never sold any of my 4 C&R weapons.
I know there's another Blue Fletch in my same county but with different middle initial who has a concealed carry permit (when I renewed mine, the sheriff's office pulled his out by mistake) and wonder if he might have been selling a couple of his handguns.
Has anyone else ever had a call like this?
Was it a fishing expedition?
Yaknow, to see "HOW" I answered.
Talk about snap you fully awake, better than espresso.

BlueFletch
03-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Nothing?
Never heard from ATF in first 3 years, in fact, was surprised when they sent the renewal forms, figured I'd have to go through the whole process all over again but was quick and easy.
I might give El Duce a call and see if he has ever experienced anything like this.
Thanks for the input.

Richard Simmons
03-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Nope, never had a call like that.

El Duce
03-09-2011, 08:33 AM
I appreciate the call. Just wish that I could have been more helpful. Glad that all is well!

BlueFletch
03-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Once things dry out & the weather gets nice, we'll have to toss some hot brass.
I haven't shot my M1A in a couple/few years now.
I should try out that Carcano & see if those fixed sights are anywhere close to being on.
Also want to really fine tune the Bushmaster.
We'll have a "shootfest"!

El Duce
03-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm game! Went to the lewisburg gun show today. Waste of 5 bucks. I pmed you my email addy.

Faulkner
04-02-2011, 05:45 PM
I've renewed my C&R twice and in all the time I've had it have never had any contact from the ATF.

BlueFletch
05-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Finally an answer to that strange call.
Sounds crazy ··· or more like "I can't believe the ATF is this messed up!".
Got another call from them earlier this month ONLY this time the girl left her name and extension number.
I'm guessing that the ATF is asking concerned dealers to let them know IF they make multiple handgun sales, the the message was something like "Are you the BlueFletch who sold 5 handguns to John Wilkes Boothe?" and when I called her back it seems she was calling EVERYONE named BlueFletch in WV who had a FFL (never mind MINE is a C&R) to find out WHO made the sale.
You would think that they would have a dealer ID on the calls in or FAX number or telephone caller ID.
I don't "get it" as to WHY she had to call all the BlueFletch's out there.
And the government wants to run health care next?
Sheesh!

ltorlo64
05-22-2011, 12:29 AM
This sounds like something the Washington State Patrol (WSP) did recently, that was deemed illegal, by the way. They sent a letter to all the FFLs in the western part of the state asking for personal information on any who had bought a AR or and AR lower in the past year or so. Turns out they were looking for the person who stole a WSP AR-15 from one of their cars. Why they were looking amongst the people who bought them legally to find the person who stole their rifle is beyond me. But this sound very similar. A fishing expedition that runs the boundary of legal. Only this time instead of it being a state police force, it is the federal government.

RTBArms1603
05-22-2011, 07:23 AM
I've experienced something remotely similar.
I buy most of my guns thru a friend who has an FFL.
About 2 months ago, I get an email from him telling me that the BATF called him to trace a Ruger SP101
he had sold me 8 years ago. I reminded him that this gun had been stolen from me. At the time of the theft,
I had a Local LEO at my house who completed a stolen gun report. My friend told me that I am still the legal
owner of the gun. So I went down to the local PD and got a copy of the original stolen gun report.
No one there new anything about it. No Detective on record as having investigated the theft.
So I contacted the local BATF and was told that any local PD could have started the trace... and that the
investigation was probably in it's infancy. I may not be contacted for a while.
I'm still waiting for someone to contact me (or my friend).
I really liked that gun, solid and was very accurate.