PDA

View Full Version : Crap... one more item to add to the list!

Mark Ducati
03-08-2011, 05:50 PM
A friend of mine posted this pic on his FaceBook page...

Now I have to add barbed wire to my list of items for SHTF!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189808_202998479725737_145317732160479_771671_1300 195_s.jpg

Integratedj
03-08-2011, 08:45 PM
A friend of mine posted this pic on his FaceBook page...

Now I have to add barbed wire to my list of items for SHTF!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189808_202998479725737_145317732160479_771671_1300 195_s.jpg

What, you need a nice 1911 or you need a role of Barbed wire?

O.S.O.K.
03-08-2011, 09:30 PM
You know, I need a couple of those myself.

Read up on those who've been through SHTF and you learn that barbed wire is very useful for creating a barrier and to slow down would-be theives to the point that you can pop them before they get inside of your perimeter.

Thanks for reminding me.

And I gotta get some fencing materials too so I can extend around the front of the house....

ubersoldate
03-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Ive got a ton of it.
Left a grip with my dad in Texas, then got another 250ft at my local lowes on employee discount day...Coudnt resist...

Mark Ducati
03-09-2011, 08:11 PM
You know, I need a couple of those myself.

Read up on those who've been through SHTF and you learn that barbed wire is very useful for creating a barrier and to slow down would-be theives to the point that you can pop them before they get inside of your perimeter.

Thanks for reminding me.

And I gotta get some fencing materials too so I can extend around the front of the house....

This was exactly my thinking... slow them down enough to take a shot... I don't need posts though, we've got plenty of trees to string this to. I'm thinking those "U" shaped staples that about as thick as penny nails should be enough to staple to trees... and when stapling, I'm thinking to zig-zag it instead of making all the attachments on the same sides of the trees, this way it might not be as easy to tear down by yanking with gloved hands in one direction.

O.S.O.K.
03-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Oh Lord.

Let's hope it doesn't come down to this = but you are right.

Don't forget the wireless cameras and monitors for the perimeter....

ubersoldate
03-10-2011, 02:55 AM
You dont want to string it to trees, its better to let it unravel, then use tent stakes or other ways to secure it to the ground in bundles.

Running it in trees just makes it easier to cut, go around or under, and making it less noisey..

Big piles, with some cans with stones in them will make it so its harder to remove or touch for that matter.
I know, I undid some in AZ, and it took two guys 30 min to get it wrapped back up, and we both got cuts, WITH gloves on.

Integratedj
03-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Oh Lord.

Let's hope it doesn't come down to this = but you are right.

Don't forget the wireless cameras and monitors for the perimeter....

No, Forget the wireless cameras. They are a waste of money and will only work to piss you off with them dropping and failing at every chance they get. There is no Wifi or other form of wireless camera on the market that is worth a damn. I've searched for years for some that are reliable, and all fail way to easily.

That's not to say that my house isn't covered in cameras now, just that the Wireless ones suck. If you can hardwire them, go to town. It's great being able to see my whole yard on screen whenever there is a knock at the door or I hear something out back that sets the dogs off.

O.S.O.K.
03-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Good to know. I guess just move em in closer then.

I have seen some military seismic sensor kits - those are cool - basically alerts you if somebody is walking around - though in an area where there's deer and hogs, it would probably drive you crazy. I notice that they are wired too... hmmm

Mark Ducati
03-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I didn't know barbed wire was so "inexpensive"...

Amazon.com

1320 ft for $90 bucks... that about 6.something cents per foot!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515lv14nZFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Integratedj
03-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Good to know. I guess just move em in closer then.

Moving them in closer doesn't really help either. WiFi cameras just suck in general no matter where they are. Half of my job is resetting those stupid things for people. Just get decent cameras with a good amount of IR's on the front so you get decent range at night. You can also add large IR illuminators to make your yard look like daytime for your cameras.

O.S.O.K.
03-11-2011, 10:06 AM
No, I meant, move them in closer as they are wired. Didn't make that very clear though.

coppertales
03-11-2011, 04:59 PM
that shoot the 12 gauge flares. Load them with bird bombs instead. They really work neat.......chris3

romak10/63UF
03-12-2011, 01:10 AM
awww welll barb wire is good... but come on now.. you need somthing to make them hurt an think twice before coming back on your property.. my mom always told me " SON when you go to catch a bear use a " BEAR TRAP " i never could understand what my mom meant... UNTIL NOW... hehehe:clap:

az_paul
03-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Thanks to Mark about the reminder for barbed wire and Chris for the reminder about the trip flares!!

Does anyone know where to get the trip flare set-ups?