PDA

View Full Version : Cutting an AK bbl down?

AK again
03-08-2011, 11:08 PM
So I have the dough together to get my CLEO to sign off on my SBR paperwork and turn it in to the Feds. I'm about to fill it out, get fingerprinted, signed off, and send it off.

My question is:
Once the stamp gets here, how do I cut down the barrel on my SLR-106UR? Do I need to press it out of the trunnion and turn it on a lathe? Is there a reliable means to take the barrel down without taking the rifle apart? I don't want to hose up the barrel ... thoughts?

slamfire51
03-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Removing the barrel and having it turned on a lathe is the only practical way to do it correctly.
Don't try to find short cuts, you'll only regret it.

AK again
03-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Does bbl removal mean removing the trunnion/disassembling the receiver?

slamfire51
03-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Does bbl removal mean removing the trunnion/disassembling the receiver?

You'll need to remove the FCG and barrel pin to press the barrel off. There is no need to remove the trunnion from the receiver.
There is a tool for supporting the receiver/trunnion when the barrel is pressed in. If you are mechanically inclined, you can make the tool. I made mine but these are available from vendors.
Here's what it looks like.

ETA: The barrel will also have to be stripped of all it's components, rear sight block, gas block, front sight base, muzzle device.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/AKF3.jpg

AK again
03-14-2011, 10:56 PM
TYVM ... paperwork'll be wrapped up tomorrow, then off to the CLEO next Tuesday ... SBR, here I come!