PDA

View Full Version : Tula Ammo Quality?

alismith
03-10-2011, 10:12 PM
I just picked up a box of Tula .45 Auto from Wally World and was wondering how good the quality was compared to American name brand ammo.

It's steel cased, boxer primed, non-corrosive. Being steel cased, will this have any damaging effect on my 1911 if I start using it as it's a lot cheaper than other brands?

Thanks.

btcave
03-10-2011, 10:22 PM
You'll be fine. The steel cased ammo won't give any problems or damage your weapon. It's just urban legend IMO. I've never seen pictures where someone showed off a damaged weapon from steel cases. Your extractor may get more wear, but that would require a shit load of rounds. Again, my opinion.

Schuetzenman
03-10-2011, 10:36 PM
I hope they worked out the kinks in it. Tula is the main Wolf ammo arsenal. Wolf .45 Auto was dog squeeze in 2003 to 2005. Haven't tried it since then.

FunkyPertwee
03-10-2011, 11:04 PM
I had bad luck with Wolf aka Tula 9mm. I always stick to Russian calibers for Russian ammo makers.

deth502
03-11-2011, 06:47 AM
ive never had problems with thousands and thousands of rounds of wolf. shot very little of it, but never had a problem with teh black box tula (which is what i think you got at walmart) but the white box tula i have had nothing but problems in 223. teh x39 seemed to work well.

Cap45
03-23-2011, 11:43 PM
I bought a few boxes on a whim at wally world about a month ago, shot it out of my TRP, no hiccups which was a surprise. Specifically as my TRP has been notorious for being picky with Ammo. I was a little worried it would be dirtier than wolf, but it turned out to be just fine. for the price, you can't do wrong by shooting it.

Krupski
04-05-2011, 10:19 PM
You'll be fine. The steel cased ammo won't give any problems or damage your weapon. It's just urban legend IMO. I've never seen pictures where someone showed off a damaged weapon from steel cases. Your extractor may get more wear, but that would require a shit load of rounds. Again, my opinion.

I don't mean to argue, but steel case ammo CAN damage your weapon. Several years ago I bought a case of Wolf .45 ACP and after about 200 rounds the firing pin hole in my 1920 Colt M1911 was peened closed so it wouldn't fire. There was a round "imprint" of the rear of the shell casing smashed into the breechface.

Thank goodness my gunsmith was able to mill it and adjust the headspace and fix her up.

And, here's a pic: http://three-dog.homelinux.com/images/1911-breech.jpg

See the firing pin hole? It's still dinged... but at least the gun works now.

FunkyPertwee
04-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Holy Shit Krupski.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't ever put Wolf through ANY valuble or collectible firearm. Sorry your baby got scarred.

NewbieAKguy
04-05-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't mean to argue, but steel case ammo CAN damage your weapon. Several years ago I bought a case of Wolf .45 ACP and after about 200 rounds the firing pin hole in my 1920 Colt M1911 was peened closed so it wouldn't fire. There was a round "imprint" of the rear of the shell casing smashed into the breechface.

Thank goodness my gunsmith was able to mill it and adjust the headspace and fix her up.

And, here's a pic: http://three-dog.homelinux.com/images/1911-breech.jpg

See the firing pin hole? It's still dinged... but at least the gun works now.

Interesting. Now my question is will today's modern machining/heat treatment processes, etc. hold up better than 1920's era metallurgy? I would have to say yes. I've run a couple hundred rounds of wolf through my Taurus 1911 and no signs of damage at all. Anyone volunteer their "modern" 1911 to a torture test? :D

Steve75
05-02-2011, 05:33 AM
I'd rather save up some more money and buy PMC.

deth502
05-02-2011, 06:15 AM
1911 fp hole bushing is a common gunsmith practice. the wolf was prob just a little hotter than what your used to running. id bet any hot ammo would do the same. id put my money on it having more to do higher pressure than steel cases.

abpt1
05-02-2011, 06:39 AM
1911 fp hole bushing is a common gunsmith practice. the wolf was prob just a little hotter than what your used to running. id bet any hot ammo would do the same. id put my money on it having more to do higher pressure than steel cases.
Yeah i bet the ammo from the era of that 1911 is from was much less potent than todays ammo and I have found that cheap factory ammo tends to get hot now and then out of the blue ....

Flinter
05-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I fired 3 boxes of their 223 through my AR a couple of weeks ago.

No problems...and a lot cleaner than I was expecting.