PDA

View Full Version : Tula ammo

Grayghost
03-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Does anyone know if Tula ammo is any good? I'm shopping on line for cheap ammo that I can rely on. I found 7.62x39 - 122 gr FMJ - Tula Cartridge - 1000 Rounds for $199.00. Also, what is a good round to use in my AK such as how many grains, fmj, hp, sp, for target practice and defense of my family if the shtf.

FunkyPertwee
03-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Tula is fine, but I would only use it 7.62x39.

There is not a big difference in the weight and bullet styles. HP doesn't expand reliably and FMJ doesn't really penetrate any extra or fragment reliably.

One thing I would consider would be storing Yugo ammo for SHTF and practicing with Russian, because the Yugo ammo supposedly fragments a lot more reliably.

At the end of the day though, your AK should eat anything, and even the crummiest 7.62 is deadly.

O.S.O.K.
03-11-2011, 03:27 PM
:welcome: to the board! Tula=Wolf and its fine. But you can get a better deal than that. Take a look at the top sticky at the top of this forum list - there are all kinds of deals listed - check the last/most recent replies for the fresh deals.

You may consider http://www.aimsurplus.com for Yugoslavian 7.6x39 - brass cased and very accurate. Price is much lower than Tula. Only 'caveat' is that it's primed with corrosive primers - but this is easily handled simply by cleaning your guns up with some warm water or water/windex mix after shooting - and then dried before cleaning as usual.

aliceinchains
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Yes get the Yugoslovian and hang on to the stripper clips.

Alexei
03-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Yugo ammo IS some of the best you can get, AND it is more effective because of its' proclivity to tumble ( because of its' flat base according to Kolkalis ), but, much of the stuff is 30 to 40 years already. Yeah, it goes bang now, but do you really want to bet your life on ammo that might be 50 years old when you might really need it ?

aliceinchains
03-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Yugo ammo IS some of the best you can get, AND it is more effective because of its' proclivity to tumble ( because of its' flat base according to Kolkalis ), but, much of the stuff is 30 to 40 years already. Yeah, it goes bang now, but do you really want to bet your life on ammo that might be 50 years old when you might really need it ?

The ammo is sealed in a metal tin. I have turk ammo from the 40's i would bet you a bulls eye and my life on.

deth502
03-11-2011, 06:16 PM

i would say the complete opposite to that.

i dont like it, its corrosive. i dont clean my firearms often, and im paranoid about using corrosive ammo. many ppl arent, if it dosent bother you, by all means, go ahead and get it.

but, again, it is corrosive. as in, it uses mercury in the primers. the reason that many militaries kept the mercuric primers, even long after commercial ammo went non corrosive, is because it is the most reliable form of ignition.

i have my excuses as to why i dont want to buy yugo x39 ammo, but reliability is not one.

Grayghost
03-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Funds are limited and I want to get the right ammo the first time around. I figure bulk is the cheapest way to go. I got some 40 round mags that I use and ammo that I bought at my local gun shop goes fast cause I can't help but rapid fire the weapon. I'm like a little kid in a candy store with my ak.

O.S.O.K.
03-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Most here will tell you that Uly or Vymple are better manufactures of Russian ammo = Brown Bear and Golden Tiger. They are priced similarly to Tula/Wolf.

Wolf isn't that bad though - I have a bunch of it - it does very well in my AK's.

Grayghost
03-17-2011, 10:39 PM
O.K. I went with the Yugo on aimsurplus, $182.00 for 1,120 rounds.

FunkyPertwee
03-17-2011, 11:01 PM
O.K. I went with the Yugo on aimsurplus, $182.00 for 1,120 rounds.

Make sure you learn how to clean corrosive ammo. If you don't immediatley clean it properly it will rust away in no time.

Grayghost
03-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks, I'm taking the advice that you posted earlier, I'm saving the Yugo stuff for shtf. I've read different things about cleaning for corrosive ammo use and they all had one thing in common, ammonia. I figure the ak was fed this type of ammo by different militaries around the globe, so as long as I clean it correctly my rifle will do just fine.

FunkyPertwee
03-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Hoppes #9 cleans corrosive.

I put one of those mil-surp oil bottles filled with Hoppes #9 in each of my magazine pouches, so that If I have to grab it and go I have a way of cleaning corrosive without pissing on my rifle.

Schuetzenman
03-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks, I'm taking the advice that you posted earlier, I'm saving the Yugo stuff for shtf. I've read different things about cleaning for corrosive ammo use and they all had one thing in common, ammonia. I figure the ak was fed this type of ammo by different militaries around the globe, so as long as I clean it correctly my rifle will do just fine.

Actually, good old hot soapy water will clean corrosive ammo just fine. The corrosive material comes from the primers, it's a salt compound, (though not table salt). It's called a percholrate and it will rust a non chrome lined barrel quickly. It draws moisture out of the air and makes for quick rust. Even with an AK that has a chromed bore and chamber the gas block, gas tube, carrier, bolt, firing pin, extractor and insides of the receiver will rust if the finish is scratched or rubbed through, or if it's blued and not covered in a paint or lacquer. In the event of a dread SHTF situation cleaning will be the least of your problems or worries.

O.S.O.K.
03-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Actually, good old hot soapy water will clean corrosive ammo just fine. The corrosive material comes from the primers, it's a salt compound, (though not table salt). It's called a percholrate and it will rust a non chrome lined barrel quickly. It draws moisture out of the air and makes for quick rust. Even with an AK that has a chromed bore and chamber the gas block, gas tube, carrier, bolt, firing pin, extractor and insides of the receiver will rust if the finish is scratched or rubbed through, or if it's blued and not covered in a paint or lacquer. In the event of a dread SHTF situation cleaning will be the least of your problems or worries.

...+1

abpt1
03-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Dude get some goldentiger from luckygunner and forget the rest its IMHO 10x better than tula or wolf !

recon
03-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Oh yeah on the golden tiger ammo! Great stuff! I'm with deth502 on this thing about corrosive ammo! I don't buy it or use. It's just my preference.

http://www.luckygunner.com/ammo-manufacturer/golden-tiger-ammo-review

Schuetzenman
03-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Dude get some goldentiger from luckygunner and forget the rest its IMHO 10x better than tula or wolf !

I second the endorsement of Golden Tiger over Wolf / Tula. Ulyanovsk and Barnual are also good Russian arsenals that put out ammo for export to the US.

O.S.O.K.
03-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Golden Tiger is Vymple I think... regardless, it is very good IMHO too.

(AK)1000shots
06-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Most here will tell you that Uly or Vymple are better manufactures of Russian ammo = Brown Bear and Golden Tiger. They are priced similarly to Tula/Wolf.

Wolf isn't that bad though - I have a bunch of it - it does very well in my AK's.

Uly is also the maker of "Wolf MC." I have Uly, I like it plenty, fires well, no FTE/FTF after about 250 rds. Pretty cheap @ jgsales ($189/1000), and it supposedly has an airspace gap in the nose so that it tumbles after impact. They claim it will being to violently yaw after penetrating ~4.5-6 inches, but I don't know if that's true or not. Regardless, going off of hydrostatic shock theory, I believe that it's still plenty deadly given the force the rounds impart on impact.

recon
07-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Good price on .223!

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6948

Also Golden Tiger 7.62x39
http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?i...dir=18|830|852

Also Golden Tiger 5.45
http://www.ammunitionstore.com/produ...Round-Box.html

Viking350
07-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Good price on .223!

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6948

Also Golden Tiger 7.62x39
http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?i...dir=18|830|852

Also Golden Tiger 5.45
http://www.ammunitionstore.com/produ...Round-Box.html

That is a good price on 223. I usually prefer boxer primed brass cased ammo, but at 2/3 the price, I couldn't pass that one up! I ordered 1k rounds. Thanks for the heads up Recon!

O.S.O.K.
07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
:anim_beer-1:

I would buy a few more cases of 7.62 myself if not for the fact that I am presently looking to have to move all of my ammo very soon. I don't need even more heavier than hell boxes to move...

Good links recon - thanks!!