PDA

View Full Version : Good price on a FEG SA85M?

jawn
03-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Found a KBI labeled FEG SA85M for sale at a local shop, without the original furniture (now it has a polymer hand guard and an AR-style side-folding stock). What would you guys consider a good price on it? The shop is asking around 1000 for it. Bear in mind I live in a state where AKs are a regulated firearm and in an area where gun prices are usually above what most would consider national average.

I want to get an AK, and while Arsenals seem to be a safe choice, what I've read about FEGs intrigues me.

aliceinchains
03-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Welcome to the board. I am no AK expert but i don't think the price is bad. For what it is worth here is an old thread from another board. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=93512

imanaknut
03-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

These days the prices of the post-Bush-ban AKs have been going up, and add to that what you say about where you live makes $1000 a reasonable price. You could always sell that silly AR stuff and get a good AKM stock set for it. :D

The SA-85Ms were really nice rifles, in both pre and post ban versions. Above average fit and finish, and great shooters.

abpt1
03-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

These days the prices of the post-Bush-ban AKs have been going up, and add to that what you say about where you live makes $1000 a reasonable price.

The SA-85Ms were really nice rifles, in both pre and post ban versions. Above average fit and finish, and great shooters.

Agreed.

I wouldn't sell mine for 1000.

jawn
03-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Yeah, I think I should be able to negotiate the price down a little, so I think I'm just going to make my first foray into AKs with that FEG SA85M.

@abpt1: Anything I should know about SA85Ms? I'm not buying it because I'm necessarily into collecting, I do plan on shooting it quite a bit.

Schuetzenman
03-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Yeah, I think I should be able to negotiate the price down a little, so I think I'm just going to make my first foray into AKs with that FEG SA85M.

@abpt1: Anything I should know about SA85Ms? I'm not buying it because I'm necessarily into collecting, I do plan on shooting it quite a bit.
Welcome and I'm hoping you get them down to $600. FEG is an Imported Hungarian AKM, I had one for a little over 10 years. They are fine weapons, the barrels are thin but then they are light becuase of it. I got mine cryo treated and it ended up being my most accurate 7.62x39 AK type in my former AK collection. Aside from it's Hungarian origins that's about it on what's notable.

jawn
03-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I was struck by how light it is when I handled it in store (that and the superb fit and finish). Most retailers in my area only stock WASRs (one shop was asking 600 for WASR10s) and the oddball IO.

Wild Bill
03-27-2011, 08:32 PM
FEG's are definitly one of the better AKM's available.