PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Reactors - Meltdown, Fukushima got me thinking...

Mark Ducati
03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Suppose, just suppose that we do get am EMP wave from the sun in 2012, or there are major quakes in the US next year due to increased tectonic shifting.

In Fukushima, they're pumping sea water in to constantly cool the fuel rods... they're using diesel powered generators for the pumps.

So, power goes out with an EMP.... generators aren't going to work, and in the midwest, where they gonna get large quantities of water from if not near an ocean or great lake if water lines are broken in a quake?

Meltdowns could happen all over this country... the two nearest nuclear reactors near us in North Georgia is southern NC, Chattanooga and in northeast Alabama (I think Birmingham).... prevailing winds (if stay current) would carry the fallout northeast of us and southwest of us to Atlanta... we'd be relatively safe here in our mountain community.

Have you considered where nuclear reactors are relative to your location and how prevailing winds might carry radioactive fall out?

The KIO3 thread got me thinking about this.... depending on your location, you might not even need it?

FunkyPertwee
03-14-2011, 02:13 PM
If the plants became abandoned, post-Armageddon survivors would have to avoid anywhere that previously held radioactive materials. You could get zapped and not even know it without Geiger counters.

Mark Ducati
03-14-2011, 02:25 PM
A Geiger Counter is next on my to do list... seems like you can get a relatively good affordable one for $350-500 bucks.

00RedZX-6R
03-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I think most reactors are near water sources for there cooling towers.

IF it gets that bad, hopefully I am at the epicenter.

alismith
03-14-2011, 06:58 PM
As far as I know, most of the reactors on the East Coast are located near the ocean, or main waters emptying into the ocean. The Prevailing Westerlies should push most of the radiation out over the ocean. However, large storms can cause the winds to shift and blow from east to west, but these wouldn't last very long. I'm about 80 miles from the neastest reactor near Wilmington, DE, but it's north and east of me, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

A geiger counter or dosimeter badge would be a good thing to have JIC.

The good thing is that most of the eastern US is located in the middle of the North American Plate...about as far away from a plate edge as one can get. Our chance for a major earthquake is minimal. Solar EMP is another matter.

coppertales
03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
is nuked by an EMP and california is pushed into the sea by an earthquake, what is the problem. Sounds like a solution to me......chris3

AKTexas
03-14-2011, 08:44 PM
I think if you use a Geiger counter long enough you are fucked.

Mark Ducati
03-17-2011, 07:30 AM
I think if you use a Geiger counter long enough you are fucked.

You may be right as I'm no physicist, but I wouldn't think so?

Some geiger counters have a "radioactive sample" of urniaum in it for calibrating/testing right on the spot... but you can buy those samples directly from "Edmund's Scientific" on-line.

The other day on the news, Dr. Richard Besser was using a geiger counter explaining how not all radiation is bad... everyday we are exposed to natural background radiation from the sun, then he held the geiger up to bananas and nuts as the pottassium is radioactive he said.

I did learn a new term though, he was referring to "Milli Severs" (mSv's)... 1000 mSv's was the magic # before it became fatal... but it 1000 mSv's all at once, or within a couple hours... 1000 mSv's over weeks/months/a year was not fatal.

sksAL
03-19-2011, 07:35 PM
im thinking the chance is remote needing KIO3, but i have a bottle of pill form, and 50 grams 99% pure powder. $30 is not gonna break me, and look how the scramble is on for it. i got mine for the reactor 60 miles west of me.not japan. if its any indication, almost no radiation seems to have hit the west coast and its quite the event. so far. privately owned geigers and the internet will keep the USA informed.

O.S.O.K.
03-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm thinking that the shielding in a nuke reactor would stop the EMP - and that the crews would be smart enough to shut the reactor down safely.

ltorlo64
03-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I live within 1000 feet of two reactors. I am not concerned.

ubersoldate
03-19-2011, 08:39 PM
No worries, if there is a EMP meltdown, Im sure there will be enough partial Japanese adopted children in our country to pour water on the reactors.

az_paul
03-20-2011, 02:28 AM
We're in Northwestern Arizona and roughly 160 miles from the nearest reactor. Still something to keep in mind, though.

NewbieAKguy
03-20-2011, 02:33 AM
I live within 1000 feet of two reactors. I am not concerned.

Not concerned either.......and I even work at one!

HDR
03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
If you are interested in solar activity:

:Product: Geophysical Alert Message wwv.txt
:Issued: 2011 Mar 21 1810 UTC
# Prepared by the US Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, Space Weather Prediction Center
#
# Geophysical Alert Message
#
Solar-terrestrial indices for 20 March follow.
Solar flux 92 and mid-latitude A-index 5.
The mid-latitude K-index at 1800 UTC on 21 March was 0 (4 nT).

No space weather storms were observed for the past 24 hours.

Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.
Solar radiation storms reaching the S1 level are expected.
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ftpdir/latest/wwv.txt

AKTexas
03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
No worries, if there is a EMP meltdown, Im sure there will be enough partial Japanese adopted children in our country to pour water on the reactors.

LOL!

abpt1
03-21-2011, 05:23 PM
"I will be really fucked if an EMP takes out my digital lock on my safe :thumbsdown:...."

Mark Ducati
03-21-2011, 07:11 PM
abpt1, I had my digital lock swapped for a manual dial one a couple years ago... I think the tumbler lock mechanism was something like $60 bucks, and the local lock smith charged me $75 bucks to install it and set it up.

HDR
03-22-2011, 05:34 PM
That sounds like a wise move.

ndm86
03-22-2011, 05:38 PM
where i live i am really close to a nuclear reactor and even closer to a big govt. armory !! basically i'm a target during war and a target during disaster. worse case i can jump in the river and float down stream. nothing in the water should hurt me. right?

AMUNGURRY
04-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Meltdown may be under way at Fukushima nuclear reactor, official with Japans nuclear safety agency tells CNN