PDA

View Full Version : Need some help, am I looking to get the best bang for my buck?

Medic3247
03-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Hey guys, I am looking for something reliable, and I can customize to my liking. This is what I have come across, and I would like some feed back to know if anyone knows anything about this firearm, and if it would make a worthwhile purchase.
I look forward to your answers and being a member here!

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct439.aspx

Schuetzenman
03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Welcome to Gunsnet. That said, "Customize"!? That AK already has all the pimptastic gear on it. What's left to put on?

imanaknut
03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Sorry for being a purist, but the idea of making your AK variant look like a mutant AR-15 or worse, the result of an AK being raped by an AR, is not my idea of something I would own.

Of course, the beauty of the AK variants is just that, the ability to modify them into what ever you like, so if that is your cup of tea, ENJOY!!!!

I believe the rifle being sold by Atlantic is the result of a WASR-10 getting too close to an AR-15, with the result as you see in the photo. :D

By the way, Atlantic is a great company to do business with! :thumbsup:

l921428x
03-15-2011, 01:55 AM
Welcome to the forum! I agree with nut. Enjoy.

(AK)1000shots
06-01-2011, 02:09 PM
If you're looking for the most "bang" for your "buck," you really can't go wrong with an AK. I just picked up a WASR 10/63, very reasonably priced. You can accessories all you want, but if you're looking to go crazy, you might as well go for the AR platform.

The AK has some customizability, such as a scope set I picked up (mainly for the weaver rail + cheap scope) seen here:

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/optics%2C-sights%2C-rings-bases/scope-mount-sets/p/ak-scope-mount-combo-/cPath/203_212/products_id/422

It's reasonably priced, but what really brought me to that site was this:

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-rifles/7-62x39mm/p/7-62x39-ucw-ulyanovsk-cartridge-works-122gr-fmj-1000rds-/cPath/12_41/products_id/3721

Not gonna lie, when I saw that ammo price, I got a little chub going. Not surplus, not corrosive, and since it's lead core, my range will let me shoot it. (Despite the bi-metal jacketing.)

You can have all sorts of fun with AKs, but all you really need are the iron sights. You can change out the furniture, mine is synthetic, side folder, foregrip, but some like the wood. I just didn't wanna be bothered fixing up the furniture, as I got a CAI WASR, and they're not exactly known for their looks. All together, mine was ~$550 with the accessories, but really, you don't need 'em.

Anything more powerful than 4x on an AK is a waste. You're not going to be too accurate beyond 150-200m. But you will have the ability to reliably put rounds downrange every time you pull the trigger. Even if you forgot to clean it since... forever. Not that I recommend that.

If you want modular, customizable, chock-full-of-accessories, I recommend going all the way up, and getting a SCAR. But if you want to keep the price down, go for the AK platform.