PDA

View Full Version : AMD stock replacements?

Sergi762
03-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Hello and thanks for having me here. I have been looking around for my own AK. saw a poly tech with a spike bayonet on Gunbroker some time ago that was superb but I haven't found another example since. I stumbled across the AMD variant but I myself cannot stand wire stocks..My question is this: is it feasible to remove the wire stock and put on a wooden one?or would I have to mess with the receiver and incur the wrath of the BATFE?

imanaknut
03-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

It is possible to install a standard AKM stock on the AMD-65 and since you are replacing an imported part with potentially another imported part, it is no problem.

The problem is that you have to cut the rivets and remove the rear trunion and folder assembly. You would then have to rivet or as a short cut, use screws to install a trunion for the fixed stock. At that point, installing the fixed stock is simply a couple of screws.

robert
03-17-2011, 08:07 AM
there was a guy on on another site that cut the wire close to the gun and welded a plate there so he could put on an ace.

ChirpinSquirrel
04-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Might be a tad bit late but Krebs makes an adapter that fits in the rear trunnion hole and uses the pin to secure. Allows the use of any ACE stock or anything with that kind of adapter piece. Wee bit spendy but apparently very good.

imanaknut
04-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Might be a tad bit late but Krebs makes an adapter that fits in the rear trunnion hole and uses the pin to secure. Allows the use of any ACE stock or anything with that kind of adapter piece. Wee bit spendy but apparently very good.

Good suggestion but unfortunately the AMD-65 has a non-removable side folding stock that in order to put anything else in it's place would require the removal of the rear trunion rivets, removal of the stock/trunion assembly and intallation of a standard rear trunion before you can do anything else.

ChirpinSquirrel
04-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Actually I'm pretty sure that it just fits in the big hole of the trunnion. No removing of the rivets. I just dissembled my stock to see. You drive out the stock retainer pin from the top to bottom, then unscrew the push button/screw and the whole stock comes out. Then I believe the Krebs adapter just fits in the gap and you drive in the retainer pin from the bottom then screw the push button in and it holds it secure. My bad if I'm wrong though.

imanaknut
04-24-2011, 08:08 PM
There must be two different types of receivers because mine does not have a hole in the bottom to drive out the folder retainer pin. Very interesting!

It does look like mine has an Alan head bolt being used as a pivot pin, but of the zillion Alan wrenches I have none fit and I have some oddball metric. Again, interesting.

ChirpinSquirrel
04-24-2011, 11:51 PM
Hmm.. thats odd, I'm holding mine right now. With the barrel facing away looking at the bottom, on the left is the retainer pin hole and the right is a flathead screw for the push button. Very interesting indeed. Mine was built on a SA 2000M receiver milled out to high cap though. They cut out the space where the hinge protrudes. No signs of an allen screw here though.

Gosh dang I like this forum

Sergi762
05-05-2011, 01:51 PM
no chirp ,not at all late ;merely weighing 7.62 or 5.45 caliber rifles at the moment. the AMD looked a lot better than the WASRs that are all to common.I have heard that the Hungarians are a far better AK so that's what I was hunting. My dream AK is either a genuine Russian made one or a Chinese copy with the folding spike bayo and the Blonde wood furniture...... a man can dream can't he?

AKTexas
05-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Sergi, have you looked at the 399.99 AMD's from Centerfire Systems?

imanaknut
05-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Sergi762, I too dream of owning a true Russian Automatic Kalashnikov, not an ATF approved semi-auto copy, but unfortunately we have no rights to keep and bear arms that haven't been infringed upon.

Funny, they talk about it being ok for states to regulate the second amendment. If that is ok, then why can't a state regulate the first? Sorry for getting off topic!

Sergi762
05-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Sergi762, I too dream of owning a true Russian Automatic Kalashnikov, not an ATF approved semi-auto copy, but unfortunately we have no rights to keep and bear arms that haven't been infringed upon.

Funny, they talk about it being ok for states to regulate the second amendment. If that is ok, then why can't a state regulate the first? Sorry for getting off topic!
ahhh alas not now but if one is determined stanger things have happened.. I must say this though the Arsenal made SGL21 does look good and from what I gather is a solid well built AK. sure as hell better than a WASR...

Sergi762
05-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Sergi, have you looked at the 399.99 AMD's from Centerfire Systems? as a matter of act I that is the very rifle I was about to buy.still looking for a gunshop that will do the transfer and advice for first time transfer buyers but I am getting there.

imanaknut
05-05-2011, 03:27 PM
ahhh alas not now but if one is determined stanger things have happened.. I must say this though the Arsenal made SGL21 does look good and from what I gather is a solid well built AK. sure as hell better than a WASR...

Amen to the SGL21 being better than a WASR!!!! :thumbsup: