PDA

View Full Version : Walmart/Target push government to get Amazon to collect taxes from online sales

mriddick
03-17-2011, 05:29 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704396504576204791377862836.html

Walmart and Target are wanting the government to force Amazon to start collecting taxes on internet sales to help make their own businesses more competitive.

If you can't beat them, use your power in the government...I guess.

Penguin
03-17-2011, 06:43 AM
If you can't beat them, use your power in the government...I guess.

That is what crossed my mind when I read the title of the thread.

Ruskiegunlover
03-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Wait, don't we already pay a sales tax in online orders? I just picture Ayn Rand smiling at this news......We cannot have these companies making or selling too much now can we? Have to level the playing field......

Mark Ducati
03-17-2011, 07:44 AM
I bet they wont stop with just amazon.com, but all on-line retailers.... and then even into the private off-line sectors too.

A couple weeks ago in NY, my wife bought some antique end tables... we had to pay shipping to GA, but no sales tax. Those type sales would likely come to an end too.

btcave
03-17-2011, 08:29 AM
No sales tax in Oregon, so everything I order online is tax free. Sales tax has been shot down at least nine times here.

Damn it, I shop using all tree of those retailers.

That stinks that they are using government to hobble a competitor.

slamfire51
03-17-2011, 08:56 AM
I was under the impression that if there is a store located in you state, then paying online sales taxes are a given.

It's not like the Walton's are hurting. I can't imagine the amount of money Sam's heirs are worth, and they're wanting this. I guess the saying is true, "The more money you have, the more you want".

I used to buy groceries @ WM, but as of late, the smaller family grocery stores have WM beat on prices. The only thing I now buy at Wal-Mart is Dremel accessories, DVDs, and spray paint.