PDA

View Full Version : Glaser saftey slugs: new versus old( read first run)

Sergi762
03-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Hello one and all. I have a bit of an odd question for the ammo aficionados here; Has the construction of the Glaser safety slug really changed all that much since it first hit the market? the site claims to have kept the rounds internal construction as they where but when I recall the cop killer fiasco I can't help but wonder if the bullets were modified to mollify the hysteria.

O.S.O.K.
03-20-2011, 12:37 PM
:welcome: to the forum! They are the same basic design from what I know. Basically, high-velocity, compressed shot in a guilding metal capsule that holds together until impact, upon which it breaks up and disperses in a small pattern, doing a lot of damage. Does not penetrate very far though and breaks up in wall board suposedly.

Here's a video from Corbon - shows the glaser slugs in ballistic gellatin about 1/2 way through after the initial hype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRap6lI9QBc&feature=player_embedded

Gunreference1
03-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Sergi762, this is what I found out concerning the history of Glaser's bullet design.

Glaser Safety Slug, Inc. developed the first frangible bullet in 1974 to provide reduced ricochet and over-penetration danger with improved stopping power over conventional bullets. In 1987, Glaser developed the round-nose frangible bullet offering guaranteed feeding reliability. In 1988 Glaser introduced the compressed-core bullet to maximize bullet weight and the number of bullet fragments. This precision formed bullet also produces target grade accuracy, seldom found in a personal defense bullet. In 1994 Glaser improved fragmentation reliability to below 1,000 feet per second through the use of soft, rather than hard plastic in the bullet tip.

Reference - http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/frangible.htm

Steve

Dr. Gonzo GED
03-20-2011, 02:28 PM
The OP mentions "cop killer" bullets, so I'd like to clear that up real quick if I may.

A Glaser is the opposite of what is usually branded as "cop killers". While the bullet made famous as "Cop Killers" IIRC was a JHP with a penetrator marketed towards laws enforcement, now and days it's just a buzzword the news uses in reference to some mythical armor piercing round (Teflon coated) that was supposedly designed to defeat a cops bullet proof vest. (The opposite being true in that it was designed and marketed to cops for defeating bad guys in all reality.) The funny thing is, the teflon was for reducing barrel wear, and being a thin layer of very SOFT plastic, I can't imagine it actually contributed to penetration in any special way.

It's also worth mentioning that there are many, many calibers out there capable of penetrating a Kevlar vest without any special Teflon hoodoo. In fact, grandpas deer rifle is far more dangerous than any handgun loading throwing any projectile that actually exists. Shit, my .44 mag revolver will do it with obsolescent hard cast bullets and the old school loading Elmer Keith intended for it. 7.62x25 Tokarev will go through both sides of a IIIa vest, and that's just some old WWII surplus tech.

So to get to the point, Glasers are not "cop killers", in fact they are "safety" rounds as one layer of dry wall is enough to break the projectile into smaller slower pieces. It would probably just make a mess of itself upon impact with Kevlar.

Here's a fun site, if you haven't seen it yet. Ballistic tests of everything you can think of against walls, clothing, meat, you name it!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

They might stray from the ol' scientific method a tad, but the results are right there for all to see. Enjoy!

Sergi762
03-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks to all of you I now see what he was babbling about( relative). the blue tips have stayed generally the same.Thank you for your answers as it put to bed an old curiosity of mine.

abpt1
03-22-2011, 03:04 PM
The funny thing is, the teflon was for reducing barrel wear, and being a thin layer of very SOFT plastic, I can't imagine it actually contributed to penetration in any special way.

Yes it was for wear but also supposedly cuts down on indoor range leading gas/dirt and it was said hollow points coated were to work better on heavy leather and denim as some HP clog with clothing and these supposedly do not.

Dr. Gonzo GED
03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Yes it was for wear but also supposedly cuts down on indoor range leading gas/dirt and it was said hollow points coated were to work better on heavy leather and denim as some HP clog with clothing and these supposedly do not.
Leather and denim? So they were actually rock musician killers?