PDA

View Full Version : any tips on reducing recoil, I have a pacemaker

Stumpknocker
03-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Hello !
This is my first post,hopefully of many to come. I just got this Romanian WASR 10
and want to see what options I have to reduce recoil because I'm a southpaw with a pacemaker very close to where the butt rests. Any suggestions?

old Grump
03-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Not an AK guy but can you learn to shoot right handed

Muzzle breaks may help if your gun isn't already equipped with one. Welcome to the site, the experts will be along shortly.

http://dpharms.com/ak47-ak47-muzzle-items-c-67_26.html?osCsid=010018b91a58b3d9b8db8cea2f962810

romak10/63UF
03-20-2011, 11:30 PM
I am a Ak47 nut i also own 2 romanian ak47s sar 1 an 10/63 i can tell you the first thing to do to reduce felt recoil will be to buy a " RECOIL BUFFER " you can buy them from blackjackbuffers... or gunbroker .... Thats the first thing you should do . Next would be to buy a better recoil muzzle brake i personal recomend the ak74 style muzzle brake this really helps on rapid fire to keep you right on target it also reduces felt recoil an muzzle flash.

1.Recoil buffer = 9.99 to 16.99
2 Muzzle brake ak74 style for 7.62x39 mm 9.99 to 19.99
3. You can get a small 1 inch or 1/2 recoil pad that fits on your butt stock to help lower the felt recoil 19.99 to 39.99 if you can find them.
I will send romanian group invite.

NAPOTS
03-20-2011, 11:52 PM
I had to read the post 3 times to realize it said pacemaker and not peacemaker. The question makes a lot more sense now.

Can you shoot right handed? I have no idea if the recoil from a rifle will disrupt it. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

As firearms go the AK is pretty light on recoil.

FunkyPertwee
03-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Maybe you should consider a different AK in 5.45 or 5.56.

Schuetzenman
03-21-2011, 06:30 AM
Maybe you should consider a different AK in 5.45 or 5.56.

This is what came to mind for me. The 7.62 AK rifles don't have much recoil but the .223 or 5.45x39 chambered ones have less than half as much recoil. Buffers sometimes work as inteneded and sometimes they cause the rifles to malfunction, jam, not feed the ammo correctly. I've run into two such cases and both rifles recovered to perfect function once the buffer was removed.

abpt1
03-21-2011, 07:21 AM
This is what came to mind for me. The 7.62 AK rifles don't have much recoil but the .223 or 5.45x39 chambered ones have less than half as much recoil. Buffers sometimes work as inteneded and sometimes they cause the rifles to malfunction, jam, not feed the ammo correctly. I've run into two such cases and both rifles recovered to perfect function once the buffer was removed.
then add a hydraulic recoil buffer its like shooting nothing ...

Stumpknocker
03-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the reply Grump, haven't considered changing cause I am not much into the change thing. ( a proud lefty, hehe )

Stumpknocker
03-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks Romak, those were the directions i was thinking of going, just wanting that first thought you had on the subject. Just for further info, I haven't been out to plink with 'er yet, but am lookin forward to it. Do you have any faves for those items?

Stumpknocker
03-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Hello and thanks for the post abpt1, the only one I have found is from Mako that says its for the stamped ak platform ( I believe sportsmansguide.com) is that the one you're talking about?

Stumpknocker
03-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks Shuetzenman, just got this romanian and I like the larger caliber, just want to shoot. This is my first long gun purchase since I got the pacemaker. have you come across any buffers that work better for you than others? thanks

Schuetzenman
03-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks Shuetzenman, just got this romanian and I like the larger caliber, just want to shoot. This is my first long gun purchase since I got the pacemaker. have you come across any buffers that work better for you than others? thanks

I will say the two buffers that caused the malfunctions were not Blackjack brand buffers. They were thick Buffertech brand, (may be spelled wrong). Blackjack has some thin 1/4" buffers that may be the ticket. The AK74 type muzzle brakes as mentiond should do something for you as well. But they will also make the weapon a lot louder to the shooter. Make sure you use good hearing protection if you get one.

romak10/63UF
03-21-2011, 07:52 PM
I had a buffer techologys recoil buffer in my milled mac-90 an it worked fine.

romak10/63UF
03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Also Stumpknocker another thing you can buy that might make your left hand shooting eazyier is a shell deflector so that way you dont get hot shells in the face... just a FYI.

Stumpknocker
03-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone,I am so ready to try out these items. I noticed on their site that the Blackjack slips on without having to disassemble the recoil spring ass'y, is that disassembly a pain for a newbie?

Stumpknocker
03-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi Romak, funny you mentioned casings last time shooting an ak was about 15 years ago and that one threw the brass everywhere, I thought that was typical. Is that true with ak's? and where do you get the deflectors and how do they attach? BTW I agree with your statement about big un's and ak, made me chuckle

hmudd13
04-03-2011, 02:29 PM
I just wanted to let you know of a stock I bought that has a "shock absorber" in it.
I really like it myself.
It does help with the actual impact on your shoulder from recoil.

http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SBT-K47FK&Category_Code=_AK47Stocks

Hope this helps.

Stumpknocker
04-05-2011, 11:12 PM
I just wanted to let you know of a stock I bought that has a "shock absorber" in it.
I really like it myself.
It does help with the actual impact on your shoulder from recoil.

http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SBT-K47FK&Category_Code=_AK47Stocks

Hope this helps.

thanks hmuddd13, you found what I did recently I ordered it from a dealer that I use. Did you buy the complete unit w/buttstock? I ordered just the stock tube, then maybe a magpul moe or maybe mako also, but I think mako is in Israel(922r compliance). If so have you tried it on the range?

binky59
05-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Grump, haven't considered changing cause I am not much into the change thing. ( a proud lefty, hehe )

Yea, I hear ya' I have an ICD in the left side of my chest, I'm right handed but after reding your post, I tried shouldering my AK on my left side and can see where you might have trouble. I set my stock high on my chest but still think that I'm hitting the leads from the ICD, If you have a Medtronic model that is from around 2006, they had problems with cracking leads.
Good luck, hope you can keep shooting.

WB!
05-20-2011, 02:37 PM
The right stock helps to distribute the recoil. I have a fiberforce (ATI) stock that feels better then the orginal SA93 stock (When I got the gun, the laws wouldn't allow a seperate pistol grip/folding stock). The Mako stock with the recoil spring in it looks good. What ever stock you use, add a rubber but pad, if it dose not have one. A heavy milled receiver helps absorb recoil. The AK74 style brake is excellent. I put one on an SKS, and it droped the recoil more then half (some test articles said that they cut the recoil by more then 2/3's), but the side blast was loud. J-Tac is another excellent brake. I think Williams has a good one too. I've read that the SLR95 brake worked good. There are many others. I have used a Buffertech recoil buffer for 1300-1400 rounds and like it. It's not as dramatic as the 74 style muzzle brake, but it helps. And, the lighter the bullet, the less kick. The East German training round has less kick. It's a polymer core FMJ. It's flat shooting for 100 yards, but then drops fast. It's down side is the primer is corrosive (Most East German ammo is). The .223 or the 5.45 has less kick, but I tend to like the 7.62 better. Good luck at finding the right combo.

romak10/63UF
05-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Hear is the link for the left handers shell defletor... i have never tried one but should work perfect for you..http://www.combatoptical.com/catalog/AK47-SKS-RIFLE-SHELL-DEFLECTOR-140.html

Hear is the link for a buffer
http://www.buffertech.com/AKValmetGalil-Recoil-Buffer-P5.aspx

p.s. the recoil spring can be a little tricky you might want to have a pair of extra hands to help out.

This is the type of muzzle brake i have on my ak47 it honetly helps out a bunch you will notice the differance in less than 2 shots..
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=230941892

Also a recoil pad would help further reduce the felt recoil of the 7.62x39
You can use this one if your a tall man above 5,11
http://www.amazon.com/AK47-STOCK-BUTT-PAD-RECOIL/dp/B003BMDIHG

I hope some of these links help further your ak47 experiance.. Right now im refinishing the wood stocks of mine...