PDA

View Full Version : Cover scratches,etc.

Stumpknocker
03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
What is good to use for covering scratches, etc. on front sights barrels, etc.

Medicinehorse
03-24-2011, 11:24 AM
I have used Burchwood Casey paste gun blue for touch ups on holster wear on revolvers .Be sure to clean it well and get all the oil off or the paste won't work.Some of the cleaners they market take off the original bluing so I used a good quality laquer thinner and cleaned the area several times and then used the paste with good results.

Stumpknocker
03-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Hello Medicinehorse, sorry I left off a pretty important detail. I was referring to my AK barrel /sight area, shoot for all I know it may be high temp flat spray paint. hehe just wanting to touch up a bit without it lookin like I didn't know what I was doing( which is the case for me ). I've never used any bluing compounds so i thank you for that tip, though. My GP100 could use a bit of that right where you indicated.

ready
04-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Go to Brownells and grab some weapon specific paint. Not only is it high temp but it should be resistant to solvents. You wouldn't want to paint your gun up all nice and then have it all rub off the first time you clean it.

Also, be careful with cold blue. It's basically a form of oxidation and if you don't do it right, you'll have one rusty gun. It's smells nasty, too.

btcave
04-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Try Stove Black?

http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/49-266-high-heat-spray-paint/stove-paint-628633.aspx

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/628633_front200.jpg

binky59
05-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Try Williams stove polish tube for about $14 on Amazon, it's made with graphite and carbon black. I use this
on my wood stove that hits temps of about 400 degrees

WB!
05-20-2011, 02:16 PM
A black magic marker is a cheap, and quick way to touch up minor nicks.

Makasaurus
05-31-2011, 08:50 PM
the gun pens at the gun store for $6 are ok, I have also just used a magic marker. Unless your gun is really scratched and needs a refinish, this works for me. To me they are a tool not a jewel.