PDA

View Full Version : Make your own Potassium Iodide - Radiation Protection

Mark Ducati
03-22-2011, 09:01 PM
I just got my 500 gram bottle of KI from http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/itemdetail?catalogId=29104&productId=3451637&distype=0&highlightProductsItemsFlag=Y&fromSearch=1&storeId=10652&langId=-1

Here's the short and sweet... adults need 130mg and children need 65mg...

"To prepare a saturated solution of potassium iodide, fill a bottle about 60% full of crystalline or granular potassium iodide. (A 2-fluid-ounce bottle, made of dark glass and having a solid, non-metallic, screwcap top, is a good size for a family. About 2 ounces of crystalline or granular potassium iodide is needed to fill a 2-fluid-ounce bottle about 60% full.) Next, pour safe, room-temperature water into the bottle until it is about 90% full. Then close the bottle tightly and shake it vigorously for at least 2 minutes. Some of the solid potassium iodide should remain permanently undissolved at the bottom of the bottle; this is proof that the solution is saturated.

Experiments with a variety of ordinary household medicine droppers determined that 1 drop of a saturated solution of potassium iodide contains from 28 to 36 mg of potassium iodide."

Two ounces of granulated Potassium Iodide (KI), mentioned above, is about 56.7 grams.
Also, from the above, an adult would be wanting four drops of the saturated solution as an expedient dosage. This would amount to between 112 to 144 mg of Potassium Iodide (KI) total. Remember, 130 mg of KI is an
adult daily dose and half that (65 mg) is a child (age 3-12) daily dose.

Less than saturated Potassium Iodide (KI) solutions, when properly mixed, should give even more accurate dosages because there is more solution overall to be measured out per dose. For example, mixing and dissolving exactly 26 grams of Potassium Iodide USP into a one liter bottle of water, for example, produces 1000 ml of Potassium Iodide solution with a strength of 130 mg for each 5 ml of that Potassium Iodide (KI) solution. There are 200 of those 5 ml servings in that 1000 ml (1 liter). 5 ml can be easily and accurately measured out with a common graduated medicine dropper. 5 ml is also equal to one measuring teaspoon.

A single 500gram bottle could provide 3,846 adult daily doses or 7,692 child (age 3-12) thyroid-blocking doses.

---------------

My KI arrived today in a very thick square plastic type of bottle, gray in color, light proof... the label had a place on the side where you write in the date received and the date opened... It didn't say, but I'm thinking, as long as this is sealed... it should be good for several years stored cool and dry... its a chemical after all.

I got a few 2 ounce eye dropper bottles, brown glass, from a local pharmacy for a couple bucks each...

Anybody else thinking along these lines? I commented the above info in another KI thread in the GD...

Schuetzenman
03-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Nope, not worried about radiation this far away from Japan. Nor am I worried about a US reactor accident or one damaged by an earth quake.

crapshoot
03-22-2011, 10:23 PM
LOL! Knock off PI panic pills will be a great accessory for your knock off watch! :whatever:

Mark Ducati
03-23-2011, 12:42 PM
IF we get an EMP wave in 2012, nuclear reactors could melt down all over this country... just trying to be prepared and minimize my cost. Crapshoot, you're a jerk... I was just trying to help others out who think the way I do.

Never met anyone like you before Crapshoot.
Gonna just ignore you in future, that's probably best.
Give yourself a pat on the back if you like,
You are still a retard with no friends I think?
Up in Nevada, maybe you don't have respect for others there?
Never have enough trolls here on gunsnet.
Gonna have to add you to the ignore list.
Let me say it again, you really are a jerk.
You seem to go out of your way to stir crap up?
Down here in the south, we actually have respect for self and others.
Never thought I'd be in feud with someone here on gunsnet, most guys here are cool.
Gonna have to group you in with Ferd and Maser.
Run your mouth here too much and you might get banned if all you do is stir the crap?
Around here, mother's teach their children to speak positively.
And nothing but negativity is ever comes from you!
Desert your hatred and come over to the light side of the force!
You may still turn out okay.

L1A1Rocker
03-23-2011, 01:30 PM
I just got my 500 gram bottle of KI from http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/itemdetail?catalogId=29104&productId=3451637&distype=0&highlightProductsItemsFlag=Y&fromSearch=1&storeId=10652&langId=-1

Here's the short and sweet... adults need 130mg and children need 65mg...

A single 500gram bottle could provide 3,846 adult daily doses or 7,692 child (age 3-12) thyroid-blocking doses.

---------------

My KI arrived today in a very thick square plastic type of bottle, gray in color, light proof... the label had a place on the side where you write in the date received and the date opened... It didn't say, but I'm thinking, as long as this is sealed... it should be good for several years stored cool and dry... its a chemical after all.

I got a few 2 ounce eye dropper bottles, brown glass, from a local pharmacy for a couple bucks each...

Anybody else thinking along these lines? I commented the above info in another KI thread in the GD...

Could you link the place you purchased the KI from please?

Edit: Thanks for this post. It may be much more practical to store the crystals than the pills - I suspect it has a much longer shelf life.

sksAL
03-24-2011, 10:51 AM
i got 50 grams of 99% iodate the other day for $25. already had a bottle or pills, that now sell for $300 on ebay. i dont think the japan event will affect illinoisat all. and the 1/2 life of iodine is 8 days. takes longer than that to reach the west coast.what i read anyhow. my concern is the reactor 60 miles west of me, and the new madrid fault line. if that thing kicks off, there will be lots of probs imho.for a few dollars,radioactive iodine will not be one for me. japan on the otherhand, is completely screwed. how the hell are 40 million supposed to live with a contaminated water water supply?

HDR
03-24-2011, 06:17 PM
how the hell are 40 million supposed to live with a contaminated water water supply?

That is one hell of a question.

sksAL
03-26-2011, 07:58 PM
That is one hell of a question.

i pretty sure im understanding the contaminated water factor over there. its getting worse by the minute. the masses will drink it sooner or later or die anyway of dehydration. idk, sure dont look too good.