PDA

View Full Version : Lost one of my cats.

btcave
03-22-2011, 09:44 PM
My cat disappeared on Saturday. I suspect the local coyotes got her. No sign of anything though. She was a special cat. One that you could take camping or anywhere else and she would stay around where you are. She would follow us when we walked the dogs and slept with us. She would raise a fit if we were outside and she wasn't. She was 10 years old. Her name was Calypso. God this sucks. We still have her daughter Gizmo. She's a force of nature herself.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4859/dsc00002eu.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5633/heathersphotos105.jpg

AKTexas
03-22-2011, 09:48 PM
My cat disappeared on Saturday. I suspect the local coyotes got her. No sign of anything though. She was a special cat. One that you could take camping or anywhere else and she would stay around where you are. She would follow us when we walked the dogs and slept with us. She would raise a fit if we were outside and she wasn't. She was 10 years old. Her name was Calypso. God this sucks. We still have her daughter Gizmo. She's a force of nature herself.

Cool looking gato! I'm a cat guy before a dog guy I feel your loss. Looks like my boy.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1426969296&aid=2064230#!/photo.php?fbid=1834206701385&set=a.1472553940292.2064230.1426969296&theater
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1426969296&aid=2064230#%21/photo.php?fbid=1834206701385&set=a.1472553940292.2064230.1426969296&theater

Full Otto
03-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Cool markings. Sorry you're feeling the loss if you lived by me I'd give you one of mine.

Krupski
03-22-2011, 09:52 PM
My cat disappeared on Saturday. I suspect the local coyotes got her. No sign of anything though.

In spring cats go nuts. My two cats always try to bolt out the door this time of year.

I've had a cat take off and be gone for several WEEKS, then one day come back all dirty and scraggly. Thinking she was "starved" from being away so long, I put out some tuna for her because she used to inhale it. She walks up, takes a sniff and a lick, then walks away, curls up and goes to sleep. She had been eating better and happier outdoors.

I hope your kitty comes back... don't give up hope yet. Cats take off and do their thing, whatever it is, and they return when they feel like it.

filthy phil
03-22-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm a cat guy before a dog guy

that explains a lot

Krupski
03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
that explains a lot

What's wrong with cats? Cats have personality. They're opinionated. They don't come when you call them (unless they WANT to).

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs too... but no self respecting cat would come when called, nor would it "fetch".

btcave
03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
What's wrong with cats? Cats have personality. They're opinionated. They don't come when you call them (unless they WANT to).

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs too... but no self respecting cat would come when called, nor would it "fetch".

My cat Fred will come when called and used to play fetch when he was young. He's pushing 13 years old now. He's an attention whore. Calypso was more independent like a proper cat. I've got 3 cats and one Yellow Labrador now.

swampdragon
03-22-2011, 10:13 PM

That sucks man.
I'm sorry.
Lost one of mine last month too.

AKTexas
03-22-2011, 10:14 PM
that explains a lot

I like my pussy, I take it your a wiener kind of guy?:lmao3:

old Grump
03-22-2011, 10:20 PM
You're wrong on both counts, my black cat would come when I called him by name and boy childs cat who went by the name of 'Grace' would fetch. In fact if you wanted that cat all you had to do was wad up a sheet of paper and from wherever in the house it was she would come racing in waiting for you to throw it. Fetch it, drop it on your lap back up 6' to 8' and wait for you to throw it again. little rubber ball, ping pong balls, marbles, wads of paper, dog biscuits, it didn't make a bit of difference. If she could pick it up she would bring it back. She was also best friends with the wifes French Rabbit. They would chase each other taking turns in chasing and being chased then would hop on the couch and take a nap together. Only thing that rabbit wouldn't do that the cat would is fetch or eat pizza.

Warthogg
03-22-2011, 11:26 PM

Like both cats and dogs.

Wart

ubersoldate
03-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Sorry to hear it, been there, done that...Damn coyotes...

JTHunter
03-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Too bad, she had pretty markings. Maybe she will be like the others said and come back after "doing her thing". She might even bring you a little "present" (or several).

FunkyPertwee
03-22-2011, 11:44 PM
You're wrong on both counts, my black cat would come when I called him by name and boy childs cat who went by the name of 'Grace' would fetch. In fact if you wanted that cat all you had to do was wad up a sheet of paper and from wherever in the house it was she would come racing in waiting for you to throw it. Fetch it, drop it on your lap back up 6' to 8' and wait for you to throw it again. little rubber ball, ping pong balls, marbles, wads of paper, dog biscuits, it didn't make a bit of difference. If she could pick it up she would bring it back. She was also best friends with the wifes French Rabbit. They would chase each other taking turns in chasing and being chased then would hop on the couch and take a nap together. Only thing that rabbit wouldn't do that the cat would is fetch or eat pizza.

Thats a great story. One of places I lived growing up, we had like 15 cats living outside. One day two rabbits showed up, and when the cats would start to stalk them, they'ed charge head on and run it off. In no time the rabbits were just part of the family.

Partisan1983
03-23-2011, 12:06 AM
I feel for you man. I love our cat's and we've had a few close calls of losing one at some point in time. I hope everything turns out ok.

I like dogs too (only a few pure breads) just don't have the money for something like that right now.

swampdragon
03-23-2011, 12:11 AM
I feel for you man. I love our cat's and we've had a few close calls of losing one at some point in time. I hope everything turns out ok.

I like dogs too (only a few pure breads) just don't have the money for something like that right now.

Some of the best dogs I ever had were mutts...not purebreds.

btcave
03-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Some of the best dogs I ever had were mutts...not purebreds.

Seems to me the best I've seen as mutts were Lab/Sheppard mix with whatever else thrown in.

Partisan1983
03-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Sorry, but I just don't care for mutts.

The same goes for certain cat breeds.....

swampdragon
03-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Seems to me the best I've seen as mutts were Lab/Sheppard mix with whatever else thrown in.

I was thinking Great Dane and Chihuahua mix, but OK.
:coffee:

ubersoldate
03-23-2011, 12:24 AM
I hope you find your cat, so I mean no offense, but damn, he is a perfect example of a KITLER!

btcave
03-23-2011, 12:27 AM
I hope you find your cat, so I mean no offense, but damn, he is a perfect example of a KITLER!

Yes she is!

btcave
03-23-2011, 12:28 AM
I was thinking Great Dane and Chihuahua mix, but OK.
:coffee:

I'm trying to imagine how that is possible. :think:

ubersoldate
03-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Yes she is!

SHE, sorry my friend...

Ive had a few cat run ins with yotes in AZ.
I can say that a few times, the weather drove my cat to hide out for a few days, so I woudnt give up hope just yet, that or maybe a neighbor took her in...
Good luck!!

old Grump
03-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Any hound with lab or retriever in it is likely to be a great people dog. One of the friendliest and most easily trained was half golden retriever and half cocker spaniel. Looked like a oversized cocker and always got a lot of attention on the street. Considering he was a people dog who never met a hand he didn't like he was a hell of a guard dog too. Didn't dare mess with the car when he was in it or get near the kids unless they told him it was okay. Don't know where he got that from. My lab/shepherd mix would have let anybody get in the car and drive away with it as long as he could go along for the ride. Sigh. Dumb dog got into the car with the Jehovah Witnesses, Insurance Salesman, UPS delivery man, tax assessor, the dog had no shame.

btcave, Your missing cat looks like my neighbors cat except my neighbors cat has no tail. He lost it in an accident when he was a kitten and nobody knows how it happened.

btcave
03-23-2011, 12:34 AM
SHE, sorry my friend...

Ive had a few cat run ins with yotes in AZ.
I can say that a few times, the weather drove my cat to hide out for a few days, so I woudnt give up hope just yet, that or maybe a neighbor took her in...
Good luck!!

Three nights away and counting. I can always hope she's stuck in a neighbors garage or something. It's happened once when I lived in the suburbs. I live in the country now and she's been here with me since we moved here 6 years ago. Farmland and woods and all that. So I'm not all that hopeful. We'll see...

swampdragon
03-23-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm trying to imagine how that is possible. :think:

I have no idea. I made that up.
:laugh:

btcave
03-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Did I mention I have a Rock River M4 with a Sure Fire and 30 rounds of Wolf Hollow Points ready to go by the door to get some payback? It's Yote season in Gaston, Oregon. Hehehe!

swampdragon
03-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Did I mention I have a Rock River M4 with a Sure Fire and 30 rounds of Wolf Hollow Points ready to go by the door to get some payback? It's Yote season in Gaston, Oregon. Hehehe!

We have them here too pretty think.
The cat I lost last month was to a big ass Hawk however.

btcave
03-23-2011, 12:54 AM
We have them here too pretty think.
The cat I lost last month was to a big ass Hawk however.

How were you sure it was a Hawk? We got some eagles and hawks around here. Left half a warm rabbit in my driveway.

BTW. Sorry about your cat Swampy.

old Grump
03-23-2011, 12:56 AM
Don;t know how that would work but I saw a long haired chihuahua/French bulldog mix in New Mexico. Bulldog was the momma and French bulldogs are ugly to begin with. The pups were grotesque. The snouts were to long even for a French bulldog, the hair was medium length and curly and they had the biggest sticky up ears I ever saw. I don't think any of them got very big but I never saw them full grown. People snatched them up as soon as they were weaned and became available. Some things are just wrong.

swampdragon
03-23-2011, 01:01 AM
How were you sure it was a Hawk? We got some eagles and hawks around here. Left half a warm rabbit in my driveway.

I saw it happen.
About 250 meters away from me.
There was nothing I could do except stand there and try not to cry like a lil girl.
It was broad daylight.
We have eagles too, but I'm pretty sure this was a hawk.

btcave
03-23-2011, 01:13 AM
I saw it happen.
About 250 meters away from me.
There was nothing I could do except stand there and try not to cry like a lil girl.
It was broad daylight.
We have eagles too, but I'm pretty sure this was a hawk.

Sorry. I guess a large bird could of happened here too, but I have no fur anywhere in a 200 meter circle around the house. I've patrolled it thoroughly. I hate not knowing. She was pretty much a home body. Who knows.

swampdragon
03-23-2011, 02:27 AM
Sorry. I guess a large bird could of happened here too, but I have no fur anywhere in a 200 meter circle around the house. I've patrolled it thoroughly. I hate not knowing. She was pretty much a home body. Who knows.

That's the thing about birds.
They swoop and grab and then they are gone Jack!
Just like that.
No trace left behind.

I'm not saying that's what happened to your cat...and I sure hope not.
I had another one that vanished for a week and then started scratching on the front door to come in.
Lil bitch.
Worried the hell outta me and then showed back up just fine.

whiskeyman
03-23-2011, 06:45 PM
I hope the cat comes home. You always hate losing a friend.

ndm86
03-23-2011, 07:15 PM
I got two cats from the pound. Borris and Natasha. Borris was a two hour a day in the house cat and 22 hours outside. even in the winter. Crazy cat loved the snow. one time he was gone for a month. I checked all the bushes in all surrounding neighbors yards with a flashlight looking for him thinking he got hit by a car. then he showed up with a collar on. I took it off trapped him in the house for a couple of days and let him out. gone another month. comes home with another collar. that was 4 years ago. he shows up about 2-4 times a year. walks right into the house like its still his. I taped a note to his collar for the new owners with a phone number, but they never called. He is fat now and must be happy. Saddly Natasha did get hit by a car a few years after borris left. I always let my cats out, I never declaw, I love dead shit that the cats kill at my back door, but getting run over is a price you pay.

aliceinchains
03-23-2011, 07:28 PM
I don't let my cat out. Just to much trouble for them to get in. Or somebody trying to fuck with them. Hope you find your cat btcave .

Helen Keller
03-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Spring time they want out..

I don't get it.

I've had my little "Nigga Please" since he was 2 weeks old and now that it's warm out he wants to go out with the dogs all the time.
He can hold his own against a 70lb dog too.

Don't give up on your cat yet.

romak10/63UF
03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
I love my cats too... Her name is Fluffers kitty kitty an shes all lover no fighter.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/nismo619/fluffers001.jpg

uncas1
03-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Don't give up hope. We had a cat that would go away every now and then, sometimes for over a week. Many cats when they are sick don't want to be around anyone so they go off somewhere then return when back to normal.

Praying for her return.

HDR
03-23-2011, 08:24 PM
I hope your cat comes home.

If it helps I shoot coyotes; last one was about a week ago.

5.56NATO
03-24-2011, 09:53 AM
"Nigga Please"

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btcave
03-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Crap! She just showed up at the back door! Looks to be in good health too. Talking up a storm. I want to kill her!

Thanks for the replies.

I was getting to be sure she was a coyote turd by now. Woo Hoo!

She's walking around the house sniffing everything. Weird.

AKTexas
03-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Crap! She just showed up at the back door! Looks to be in good health too. Talking up a storm. I want to kill her!

Thanks for the replies.

I was getting to be sure she was a coyote turd by now. Woo Hoo!

She's walking around the house sniffing everything. Weird.

Great news!Glad she made it home.

Krupski
03-24-2011, 09:25 PM

Told ya so. This time of year they want to roam. Glad she came back! :thumbsup:

romak10/63UF
03-24-2011, 09:27 PM
good to hear another kitty made its way home !

sevlex
03-24-2011, 10:31 PM

Betcha she's preggers!!!

I was reminded of this local story about a lost cat:

http://www.kdvr.com/videobeta/4f2df461-dac7-419a-b07e-bcab1131a1be/News/House-cat-found-after-missing-for-7-years

O.S.O.K.
03-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Well, glad she came back. Looks like a cool cat.

I have to say though that people that are surprised that their cats go missing when they let them run outside.... well just what the hell do you expect? They are coyote food and they can and will be shot by neighbors who don't appreciate them.

I personally don't like them coming into my yard and using it for their personal litter box. My old pup finds their shit and eats it... pisses me off. She's 13 years old and doesn't need that.

So, I do what I can to keep them out - in fact, its time to start trapping them again.

Only way to ensure your cat's safety is to keep em in the house... start them that way when their kittens and they won't know any better.

IMHO

btcave
03-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Well, glad she came back. Looks like a cool cat.

I have to say though that people that are surprised that their cats go missing when they let them run outside.... well just what the hell do you expect? They are coyote food and they can and will be shot by neighbors who don't appreciate them.

I personally don't like them coming into my yard and using it for their personal litter box. My old pup finds their shit and eats it... pisses me off. She's 13 years old and doesn't need that.

So, I do what I can to keep them out - in fact, its time to start trapping them again.

Only way to ensure your cat's safety is to keep em in the house... start them that way when their kittens and they won't know any better.

IMHO

I appreciate your opinion O.S.O.K. I just don't share it. I'm in the country though. Not a neighborhood.

I am fully aware that they could get killed running loose. While it would kill me inside, I understand it can and will happen. Not keeping them locked up 24/7. She spends 98% of her time indoors anyway. Her daughter on the other hand is out 80% of her time. She semi wild though.

Oswald Bastable
03-25-2011, 02:42 AM
I appreciate your opinion O.S.O.K. I just don't share it. I'm in the country though. Not a neighborhood.

I am fully aware that they could get killed running loose. While it would kill me inside, I understand it can and will happen. Not keeping them locked up 24/7. She spends 98% of her time indoors anyway. Her daughter on the other hand is out 80% of her time. She semi wild though.

Glad your sweetie came back bt, and while I generally agree with OSOK, I also understand about letting semi-wild things be semi-wild. Personally, I don't let my cats out, but then I'm in the 'burbs, close enough to busy streets that it's not wise. Mostly I don't let them out because I don't want the vet bills though, nor do I want them bringing FeLV or FIV home to infect all my cats, as I care about them and want to protect them from their own worst instincts...like one would with children...and to me they are like children of a sort, as well as beloved friends.

swampdragon
03-25-2011, 07:56 AM
lol.......

Great news.:coffee:

coppertales
03-25-2011, 09:34 AM
However, keep them inside. I have 6 cats and I never let some of them out. Three of them I let out but only when I am outside. They never get more than 10 feet away and follow me everywhere I go. When I come in, they come in with me, on their own. I am also armed when I am out with them incase another cat or dog gets into the yard. My back yard is completely fenced so I haven't had any problems. My cats are my kids and I will protect them with my life in need be......chris3

5.56NATO
03-25-2011, 10:12 AM
lol@coyote turd

ps

glad shes back!