PDA

View Full Version : Help me get started

6gunsal
03-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Here is the deal. I currently live in an apartment with limited space, am on a very limited budget, and have no idea where to begin. Reading through this survival forum all I see are things that I am unable to do right now. I don't have land for a garden. I don't have the space to stockpile. I don't have the money for a lot of equipment.

As much as I hate the sound of a "bug-out bag", I wonder if this would be the best and easiest first step to take? I will have limited space to fill, so I won't have to spend but so much on the "essentials". I may not be set to life off the land indefinitely, or be self sufficient by any means, but I will hopefully have a leg up on most, and be better prepared for a number of small disasters.

Or should I put less focus on the bug-out bag and just start stockpiling cans slowly, or MREs?

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this. I know my situation isn't unique, but for the survival-minded crowed it seems I am at a huge disadvantage.

filthy phil
03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
move to the boonies asap. i have a buddy in louisa

romak10/63UF
03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
You can buy storage racks that stack up the wall the space between racks should be about 12 to 18 inches so you can stack 4 cans high . You can buy cheap racks at walmart . Im glad some one else would rather be " safe " then sorry later on...

ubersoldate
03-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Save your money when it comes to the tactical bullshit.

Stock up on mre's/can goods and the means to cook. Water purification, medical supply are equally as important.
THEN get a backpack, nothing crazy, its even smarter getting one that doesn't stick out in a city, like a GIANT CAMO TACTI-PACK...

I see so many people who stock up on all kinds of field gear while not getting normal everyday things they will need if something major happened.

Wonder how many people in Japan are set up with a camo scabbard while not having the means to purify water or take their meds?

old Grump
03-23-2011, 07:13 PM
My favored range bag is also my toss it in the car, innocuous looking emergency kit bag which doubles as handgun, ammo and a few small tools, tape, flash light, knife, cord etc. bag. I'ts a hard bottom plumbers bag. You can get an amazing amount of stuff in those pockets leaving the body of the bag for your larger bulky items. Another could double as an emergency aid kit. Some have shoulder straps so it leaves your hands free.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-inch-canvas-tool-bag-32282.html

HDR
03-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Save your money when it comes to the tactical bullshit.

True.

6gunsal,
You got to eat and stay hydrated; there isn't any choice about it.

Wonder how many people in Japan are set up with a camo scabbard while not having the means to purify water or take their meds?

The tact-i-cool crap fades quick.

BigDumbGerman
03-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Sounds like you've gotten a lot of great advice. In a built-up area, not getting noticed as the guy with the guns, ammo and food is a good idea. All the tactical stuff can be--and been--improvised.

If you're an apartment dweller, light, food , water and waste management will be important. I got a neat little radio from Sportsman's Guide a while back that has a crank on the side to charge it. It's also got a solar panel, battery compartment, etc. and has a lamp, flashlight, radio (FM/AM/weather) etc., plus connectors for cell phones and such. It was $45. Also if I was in an apartment (used to be for a few years), I'd get an emergency tool for shutting off gas, water, breaking glass, etc.

Finally, to read up/look up urban conflicts in the past. I had relatives talk about Stalingrad in WWII (the Big Dumb Russian side of the family) and they told some pretty horrible but also inspiring stories. There's also some stuff out there about out there on what it was like for Panamanians during the Panama invasion in '89, Chechnya, Fallujah, Lebanon, etc. I read a book when I was in Iraq that was based on an Iraqi woman's experiences when we first invaded and thrashed their infrastructure. A lot of the book was "why do good things happen to innocent people" type-stuff, but it talked about what living conditions and priorities were like too.

Hope that gave some more ideas. Good luck.

BDG

6gunsal
03-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys, that's good input.
I may have left out a major detail, but my apartment is less than 40 miles from my parents' home. I'm trying to figure out how that would play into a disaster senario. Home seems like the place I would go to first, but there is nothing there. Now that is a depressing thought...

bovver
03-27-2011, 05:24 PM
After much thought on the subject.
I have spent several years working things out.
What to carry,what I need etc.
I have made a circle as it were or moment of clearaty...
What I found out for myself is the more I learned,the more I needed to have for my Bag.
Then I needed a bigger bag.
And the upgrades etc. before you know it,you are going to carry 100 plus lbs of wieght.

Now I would have to say is keep it simple,basic.
Water filter,knife and fire.
and a few odds and ends to fill in.
Learn to improvise and get a small say sas survival book and a book on plants and herbs or something like that.

O.S.O.K.
03-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Yeah - totally agree with thinking this through - prioritize and Uber's comment about urban camophlage (not sticking out) is very important. You don't want to be target. You want a pack that just looks like you threw some shit in it and took off.

Basics:

Pack - backpacking plain color type - not "I'm a prepper" camo version.
Water Filter - you're likely to have access to water - but will want to be sure it's safe
Dehydrated food - you may want to do this yourself - purchase a dehydrator or just use your oven set on low - get the hot hands and vacume pack your dried foods. Enough for a good 30 day's
Handgun and concealed carry rig - extra mags and ammo
Good lightweight sleeping bag
Good lightweight backpacking tent
Small first aid kit
Kit of survival type tools - magnesium fire starter, small milspec can openers, leatherman tool, LED flashlight (tac light that goes on your handgun is good here), fixit tape
Extra undies, high quality backpacking sox, change of clothes
Layered clothing and lightweight rain shell

That's about it if you're on foot - that's going to be 50# plus - if you stick with the best, lightest quality gear.