PDA

View Full Version : Norinco 56 barrel questions

Medicinehorse
03-24-2011, 11:14 AM
I need a replacement barrel for an early 56 series Norinco that screws in . From what I understand a used barrel is tough to find because of the Chinese parts ban so is anyone making replacement barrels for these? Also with a used barrel the pin locations would most likely not line up for proper headspace ?If I were to find a used barrel can the pin locations be migged up and redrilled or would the hardness of the welded areas present a problem when redrilling the pin holes? Am I on track here ? Thanks for any help on this ,I have built ARs but this is my first AK project.:confused1:

Medicinehorse
03-24-2011, 08:30 PM
After a little more research I discovered that the barrel does not screw in as the clown I bought it from told me. It is a 56s type .I am new to the AK s, I bought this one for 150 at the local flea market missing the bolt cover and it had a fake can welded on it with what must of been a stick welder.Thats why it needs a barrel. The guy had it in the bottom of his tool box [in his truck bed] long enough for it to have rub marks on the left side.The wood is shot,The more I look at it the worse it is.

romak10/63UF
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
If you can post pictures maybe you can save the barrel ? we are all very good at giving helpful information on how to fix minor problems people make on ak-47 type rifles.

imanaknut
03-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Are you sure the barrel is messed up? Granted getting it hot enough to stick weld a fake can on the end could damage it, but I would make sure that it is damaged before spending the time and money replacing it.

Did I read your second post correctly and you bought a complete rifle that was just missing the receiver cover???

Also, without pictures I am trying to make sure it is an AKM and not an SKS. Both were given Chinese model numbers of 56. Thanks!

Medicinehorse
03-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Evdently he welded a piece of truck exhaust on it for a flash hider .Its scuffed up from being it the bottom of the toolbox for years as it was under oil filters and hydraulic jacks and chains and misc chainsaw parts.Said it was his pig gun when they had dogs. Yea its not an SKS.It seemed that it would of been real loud with that exhaust flash hider on it, kinda like a megaphone .Its old and beat up like me.I did get it for 150 and I am sure it can be restored. All I can sat is when you go to flea markets look in all junk boxes and junk on trailers you never know what will turn up.It will be a project for my son in law and I when he comes back from his duty in Afganistan .