PDA

View Full Version : AK questions

scratchthejeepguy
03-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi guys, decided to finally get an AK and found this forum from another one. Thought I'd better start reading through these threads. I'm looking to get an AK47, not so much for collecting, more of a shooter, and I'm looking for some advice.
I found this ad from about a year ago:

I've got a M70AB2 parts kit for sale.

So I emailed him and asked him if he still has it, he emailed me back this:

Mmmm, looks like they've gone waaaay up in price on Gunbroker. Tell ya what, if you're willing to drive out here, I'll sell it for the price I paid and throw in the rusty Rommy-G kit for $350. That's less than you'd pay for the just the Yugo anywhere else. Both kits have the original, un-cut, barrels so you won't have to drill or mill them either.

Does this sound like a good deal to you guys or not? What questions should I be asking him?
I know I'd have to build it, and have never done a build before, but I'm willing to try, and actually would rather build one anyways, I like building things... I have a small metalworking company so that might help.

Any ideas on other places to look for recievers, I think for my first one, I'd like to go with pre-bent, hardened, rails installed.
Just trying to figure out how much money I'd be into, and if it's worth it, or should I just buy one built.

romak10/63UF
03-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Welcome to the best Ak-47 forums !

Yes sounds like a good deal.. When you get it home can you take pictures of the rusty romanian g parts kit... if you dont want the romanian parts kit i will be willing to buy it from you for 175 shiped. Ofcourse i would need to see pictures first...

Thank you romak10/63uf

Full Otto
03-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Yugo barrels are dicey you could get a real sewer pipe and wind up having to get one anyway.
If your making a trip you might wind up buying it just figuring you made the trip might as well. Decent deal but be picky once you get there.
For what you want it for I'd say keep a built one in mind. If the kits are good you can set them aside and build later when you're more up to speed on them

Blacksmith
03-27-2011, 11:16 AM
The Yugo alone is worth the $350.
If nothing else, buy the 2 kits and sell them. and pick up a nice AKM.
The only reason any of us build anymore is for fun, quality and experience. If you are not doing it for one of those reasons, it’s just cheaper to go out and buy something already built.
If you do decide to go the build rout. You can either buy the tooling and bend your own receiver. or buy one from NDS. The NDS receivers are by far the best on the market.

abpt1
03-27-2011, 11:19 AM
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30165

I would suggest save a little more cash and just buy a nice one from here

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/brand.aspx?mid=47

scratchthejeepguy
03-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I really want an AK to shoot, but I also really want to build one. I'll probably buy them now, then build them later when I have more experience. Or maybe just slowly tinker with them and in the mean time, look for another one.

Be prepared to get hit by alot of questions from a noobie like me....

Blacksmith
03-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I really want an AK to shoot, but I also really want to build one. I'll probably buy them now, then build them later when I have more experience. Or maybe just slowly tinker with them and in the mean time, look for another one.

Be prepared to get hit by alot of questions from a noobie like me....

No problem.
We like to help.
Just start a thread in the build it yourself forum when you’re ready.
The only catch is you have to post some firearms pictures for us to drool over. :biggrina: