PDA

View Full Version : Got a new one coming...

O.S.O.K.
03-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Haven't ordered an AK in a long time. One that I never did buy or build is the underfolder type. Like some, I don't find them too uncomfortable to shoot - though, they aren't quite as comfy as the side folder or standard stock...

Got it coming to my funshop from SOG - they had a good price on it - $399 - includes a crapco mag and frogless Romi bayo :)

I'd post a pic but you know what they look like.

I intend to work this over some - maybe do the old "battlefield pickup" look to it - which I just like, can't help it.

One question I do have is this: which parts as these come are US made? Do they switch the gas piston, fcg and pistol grip? That would still be one shy of 922r - import mag use... muzzle device, barrel, receiver, handguards, trunion, folder stock, bolt and carrier = 8 import items leaving only 2...

imanaknut
03-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Underfolders are cool because they are so evil looking and the media and the Brady bunch hate them.

As for USA parts for the stupidest law made in the lase 40 years, it seems they are using US fire control group, pistol grip, muzzle device and the gas piston.

O.S.O.K.
03-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Ah - thanks. I was thinking the muzzle device would be the easiest to replace to bring it into compliance anyway - seems CAI agrees.

Yeah, they are the evilist of the bunch I guess. The news always seems to focus on the ayrab with the underforlder for the news stories of unrest in the ME...

Oh, and believe it or not, this is my first ever dimpless rommie - yeah, I have Saigas but I've been able to avoid the dredded flat sided rommies since they first came out :)

aliceinchains
03-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Actually could you please post a pic.

Helen Keller
03-28-2011, 05:52 PM
:thumbsup:

I've always liked underfolders.
I thought about getting one of these BUT...

I have a Sig 556R on the way.

O.S.O.K.
03-28-2011, 07:30 PM
http://www.southernohiogun.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/A/K/AK-ROMUF_waccessweb_1.jpg

There't their pic - best I can get off of their site. Basically, a WASR with an underfolder installed.

BTW - the link is http://www.southernohiogun.com

Helen Keller
03-28-2011, 07:44 PM
local shop had one of these.

build quality was above average.

the stocks had a little wobble but that's a quick fix.

FunkyPertwee
03-28-2011, 08:05 PM
OSOK, do have an FFL or a trick to view SOG's gun prices?

I was never impressed with their reputation enough to have my FFL guy check in to them.

AKTexas
03-28-2011, 08:33 PM
With a C&R it opens the window to see the prices.

O.S.O.K.
03-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Yes, that's all that I have -my C&R license got me an account with them - registered. Though my license is now expired, I still have the account.

I have had a pretty good run with SOG - I returned one old SMLE because the safety was not functional and more recently, a really crappy garand -but they gave refunds in both cases - that is out of about 30 purchases.... or more.

Helen - good to hear about the quality. Was the wobble in the stock or the handguards? Both are easy fixes as you say =- just curious.

Helen Keller
03-29-2011, 05:52 AM
Stock when unfolded wobble was about 1/8" vertical .

The sights were even straight.

O.S.O.K.
03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Oh - up and down a bit... they are all different unless something's changed with Cugir! Thanks for the feedback.

O.S.O.K.
03-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Here's a little bigger pic... the waiting is the hardest part :)

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/century/century_wasr_underfold.jpg