PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Bulgy 74 bayo

Solidus-snake
03-28-2011, 06:04 PM
I have a Circle 10 bulgy bayonet for my Arsenal 74 and I really like the thing but I can't figure out how the hell to get a good edge on it.

Suggestions?

Bluntforce
03-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Don't.

It'll stick in what you stab with it if you use it as a bayonet and some collector will be butthurt that you sharpened it if you try to sell it later and give you a shitty offer.

romak10/63UF
03-28-2011, 07:27 PM
use a dremel with a " green sharping stone " to sharpen your blade it will come out really nice an sharp as a razor !:thumbsup:

sevlex
03-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Don't.

It'll stick in what you stab with it if you use it as a bayonet and some collector will be butthurt that you sharpened it if you try to sell it later and give you a shitty offer.

What he said. Plus it will never hold an edge anyway.

Bluedog
03-29-2011, 10:32 PM
I have a bulgy type 3 that took a nice edge. But the stamped flat edged type 4s were never intended to be sharpened. The primary function of most Commie bayonets is to act as a wire cutter. As a result, the steel is too hard to be sharpened, and the edge design is not conducive to cutting.

Solidus-snake
03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
I have a bulgy type 3 that took a nice edge. But the stamped flat edged type 4s were never intended to be sharpened. The primary function of most Commie bayonets is to act as a wire cutter. As a result, the steel is too hard to be sharpened, and the edge design is not conducive to cutting.

Well shit..

Richard Simmons
03-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Pretty much as others have posted the baynet in question likely isn't made of the best steel for getting a good cutting edge. Probably not the best heat treat either for holding an edge if you can get one.

If you're determined to give it a try just staple some sandpaper onto a board about 3" wide and as long as you need and go from coarse to fine until you get the edge you want.

I've seen Youtube videos where a guy put a shaving edge on a cheap chinese folder using a cinder block then a brick then stropping on a leather belt. It can be done but your not likely to end up with a very good edge that will last for much cutting.

That being said my MAS 49/56 bayonet and the one for my CETME did sharpen up well enough to slice paper cleanly. Haven't tested them to see how long the edge holds up. Maybe I should?

AKTexas
03-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Bayonets are made for impaling.

Solidus-snake
04-02-2011, 10:40 PM
I just got a CETME bayo today, how did you go about sharpening it?

Richard Simmons
04-03-2011, 07:06 AM
I just got a CETME bayo today, how did you go about sharpening it?

Originally I did it with a cheap sharpener similar to this one

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=EG21

The one I had was heavier and had larger rods but same concept.

Since you started this thread I've been thinking about getting my Cetme bayonet out and trying it on my Spyderco Sharpmaker or my Wicked Edge Sharpener just to see how keen an edge it can take. Picked up a strop and compound at the knife show yesterday so I could try stopping the edge and see it it can go "scary sharp".