PDA

View Full Version : New here with new gun

Hunterdan
03-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Hey all. I used to buy and sell guns. I did conversions on saigas for a while back when everyone was worried about the new guy taking office...
I kinda got out of guns for a while and stepped into knives for the last couple of years.
Recently I met up with a local who I contracted for years ago and he sold me some of his collection. I've got the bug again. Anyway, I bought an AK from the fella and it's in great shape. I don't know much about it but it's a Norinco NHM-91. It has the thumbhole stock, bi-pod and has not been messed with as far as I can tell. Are there any certain characteristics that are rare on these/or things to investigate? Also , does anyone have an idea where I can get the small bolt that keeps the hinged bi-pod attached? I just figured this would be the place to get some real info. Thanks ahead of time

Full Otto
03-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Can't help much with the questions but you are in the right place ones that can will be along.
I just wanted to give you a welcome
It is a favorite of some and not being messed with is always nice

imanaknut
03-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The NHM-91 is a nice rifle if you can stand the Bush-hole stock. The Norinco fire control group was arguably the best out of the box for feel and consistency. As for rarety, all Chinese AK variants were banned from importation since 1994 so all that are here are all that will be here. Personally I am keeping mine as original as possible. Even with their rarity, I see no reason you can't enjoy yours a bit. Just make sure you clean it thoroughly when done.

To hold the bipod clamp closed, I use a hitchpin. I hope the photo shows.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31EBYuP8evL._AA115_.jpg

While a hitchpin isn't correct, it works. :D

l921428x
03-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Welcome. Enjoy.

Hunterdan
03-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the welcomes. I had a few rounds in the ammo box and decided to run a few through it. WOW, I had forgotten how awesome the ol AK is. Don't worry, I live in a very gun friendly holler. Thanks for the tip on the hitch pin. I did find a black narrow bolt and a silver nut electrical taped to one of the bipod legs. It fits through the hinge but the nut can't be correct being silver. The bolt has a small allen head. When I attached the bi-pod with the bolt it is loose and the rifle wants to lean to the right or left. Is that the way they are supposed to be or should the bi-pod be tightly secured to the barrel? Anyone have a close-up of an original hinge fastener?

RJ Shooter
03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
:welcome:

bovver
04-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Good to see you here.
This is my NHM91.
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy338/oibovveroi/hallownhm91021-1.jpg
The bipods that came with these suck.
I have heard some people say they have had good luck with the RPK bipods you can find them on GB.
I replaced my nhm bipod with a chinese ak aftermarket bipod for 15 bucks.
You do need to dreml out a little on the inside of the clamp near the hindge of the chinese bipod and put the screw in the other way but it does work.

Anyways,The NHM's are fun and get the local pd to look at me funny at the range.
They really like it with a drum.
edit for:no,the bipod is not to be tight on the barrel.
My rifle will lean to one side or the other.
Also most people say when they use the pod their accuracy suffers.
I have found for myself this is not the case,what does that say about me?lol

El Laton Caliente
04-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the board!

The Chinese bipods were designed to fit loose so the rifle could swing right, left, up, down without being in a bind. These were meant to be platoon level light machineguns and provide cover fire.

I've seen several different brads (rivet style flare on one end), roll pins, spring pins, bolts and even cotter keys used to hold the Chinese bipods on. A close up picture might help as there are different kinds.