PDA

View Full Version : canned goods ?

printerman
07-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Many of us have jarred supplies that are often referred to as "canned" goods ! Putting up fruits and veggies is a great idea and if you have the resources by all means do so . If your looking to save actual canned goods here are some tips that you may use to avoid problems in the future . I have been storing and eating canned goods for well over twenty five years and there are some do's and don'ts .....

1. Never buy pull-tab cans as their seal is only good for short term storage (if the product you want "only" comes in pull-tab design , buy new often and eat the old)
2. Buying "Acidic" products such as tomato paste , whole tomatoes , stewed tomatoes , pineapples and fruit's will end up being a short term storage as the rim will develop leaks . Rotate these items and you'll be alright .
3. Under stress you'll consume more food at first and cans of heavy foods will "feel" good . Cans of Corned Beef Hash store really really long and give you that full feeling and lots of fat and protein . Ravioli is also good for that full feeling . (note: tomato base in spaghetti and ravioli products are so thin and cooked down they won't usually burst can with acid over time)
4. Major companies like Chef Boy Ardee have completely switched over to pull-tab cans . Campbell's has not used pull-tabs in their Spaghetio's or Ravioli's yet . Buy while you can ....
5. All canned goods are cooked , so if you have to , you can open and eat ! Other "survival" foods require water and or cooking . You never know what "conditions" your survival will be under so having rugged canned goods of ready to eat food is a plus .
6. MRE's are great but require huge storage space and are rather costly compared to the same amount of bulk in canned goods . However canned goods are heavy and are really best suited for a place where you will remain . Unfortunately they don't travel well .
7. Canned veggies often store better with "brand" names . Comparing ten year old string beans I found on countless occasions that name brands hold up better . 10 year old green beans by the way are grey , mushier , and rather bland ! However they do have food value and you can survive on them .
8. Buy some veggies that have lots of valuable water in them like whole potatoes . The potato comes in water that you can drink . (water might be even more important than the food) Never pour off this water no matter how stinky it is , unless it smells bad , as in putrid (potato water stinks but is good )
9. Spoiled products smell awful and your stomach should turn upon scent . However avoid any dented cans when purchasing and treat your cans well . Keep out of direct sunlight and don't store in that 130 degree shed out back . Pin holes can develop in some products (mostly acidic) and cause brown sticky goo on edges of cans . Throw anything suspect out .
10. Tuna stores really well , however buy both oil and water varieties , oil "is " needed under stress and survival .
11. Avoid huge commercial size cans unless your crowd is big enough . You'll save money on these sizes but once opened must be eaten .
12. Always take Sharpie pen and date can and write what's in can . Labels fall off or get wet . Large dates on cans are easy to read in low light situations like candle-light after a hurricane . Dates allow you to easily rotate cans .
13. Buy lots of diversity in product . You'll appreciate that can of guava paste when all you've had for three weeks is tuna and beans at room temp .
14 . Buy good can openers are buy several . Using those little military openers are great when your traveling but when at home use the real . That way little Debbie can open her own , while your doing more important things .
15 . Never , I mean " NEVER" show anybody your storage and how much you have . You can tell them to get started on their own but showing your stash means real trouble down the road . Remember mankind will kill his own brother to fill his stomach . Avoid later hassles and NEVER show your wares !!!
16. If I had to pick just three favorites I would go with Corned Beef Hash , Tuna and Fruit Cocktail ! Fruit Cocktail must be rotated often but's real tasty and comes with needed water , plus it's sweet . ( a treat when stressed )

Paladin
07-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Many of us have jarred supplies that are often referred to as "canned" goods ! Putting up fruits and veggies is a great idea and if you have the resources by all means do so . If your looking to save actual canned goods here are some tips that you may use to avoid problems in the future . I have been storing and eating canned goods for well over twenty five years and there are some do's and don'ts .....

Great post. Good info. Thanks...

We have complete diet of longterm storage foods. However, we always keep a using stock of a variety of can goods that we rotate through. Try not to let it it dip below 6 months of use if we had to live out of the cans only. We also keep 2 weeks of MREs for a get out of town quick set up...

printerman
07-31-2010, 01:03 PM
Your Welcome , I wish more people considered it important to store goods and just do it ....

Paladin
07-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Your Welcome , I wish more people considered it important to store goods and just do it ....

SHTF and folks'll get the idea. But what if it don't? Eat the food. I buy what I eat. And when I buy in long term bulk storage, it's a whole lot cheaper.

Food storage is a good deal even if the bad thing never happens...

HDR
07-31-2010, 03:32 PM
10 year old green beans by the way are grey , mushier , and rather bland ! However they do have food value and you can survive on them .

Supposedly the food value degrades over time; anyone know if he is correct?

Paladin
07-31-2010, 05:08 PM

HDR, here is a good primer for storage life. Of course the topic is more complex. However, many studies have shown that properly stored grains and legumes can store for 30 years with little loss of value. I keep mine for 5 years only by use and rotation...

http://www.waltonfeed.com/blog/show/article_id/162

Paladin
07-31-2010, 05:25 PM

HDR, I just reread your post (paying attention this time). There is a general consensus that properly canned food will last 5-10 years, given turning of cans and storing in a dry place with temperatures around 70 degrees. However you may expect the value of these stores aged 10 years to have degraded to 35% of their nutritional values. Calories, though, are preserved in these stores at a much higher rate.

http:http://www.usafoodstorage.com/faq_foodstoragecanned.htm//

swampdragon
07-31-2010, 06:39 PM

Yes. He's right.

chiak47
07-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Great thread...

I had roughly $50 bucks worth of canned hams that I had to toss due to the seals bursting with the pull tab lids.
Stamp on can's claimed they were good till 2013.

chiak47
07-31-2010, 10:56 PM

FWIW...

I read a story in a survival magazine about a Civil War era ferry that was sunk to the bottom of the Mississippi River. On the ship divers in the 1960's found cans of vegitables and brought them to the surface where scientists conducted studies on how well the contents preserved and according to the article the contents were still full of nutrients and still edible.

I will search for a online link as I'm sure it's a common story in certain circles.

remy1492
07-31-2010, 11:46 PM
The wife is now on board with SHTF food storage.
We cook mostly fresh stuff so buying canned goods is purely for insurance.

Not even sure if we'd rotate and eat em, probably just rotate and canned food drive em.

Interesting on tomato acidity, never knew that.

HDR
08-01-2010, 09:51 AM
HDR, here is a good primer for storage life. Of course the topic is more complex. However, many studies have shown that properly stored grains and legumes can store for 30 years with little loss of value. I keep mine for 5 years only by use and rotation...

http://www.waltonfeed.com/blog/show/article_id/162

TV documentaries have mentioned that grain from Egyptian tombs is still good to grow and I know rice stored in Mylar lasts longer than in plastic. ;) The url you posted was an excellent resource; however, they didn't mention canned food.

btcave
08-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Mountain House. One of the freeze dried food sites. 25 year shelf life. Part of a diverse food storage plan. I use the food rotation method as well as store the longer term stuff.

Storing grains? Use a air tight container or mylar bags with an oxygen absorber placed inside to deny tiny critters that might hatch inside the rice,etc. the oxygen to survive.

http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHCDL

Costco is your friend.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&search=shelf%20reliance&N=0&Ntt=shelf%20reliance&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US

printerman
08-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Cans used to be made much more rugged (thicker) and their shelf life was better . Never purchase pull-tabs if you can help it . Spam and similar products only come in split-seam open-by-key versions and can be purchased if you date them and rotate them . Hams can be found in solid cans . Japanese caves held cans for 50 years and many of the cans were still good . Sardines can be found in solid cans . Applesauce is no longer sold in cans . Budweiser made water in cans , but I was told it was temporary ....

Dr. Gonzo GED
08-06-2010, 04:38 PM
FWIW...

I read a story in a survival magazine about a Civil War era ferry that was sunk to the bottom of the Mississippi River. On the ship divers in the 1960's found cans of vegitables and brought them to the surface where scientists conducted studies on how well the contents preserved and according to the article the contents were still full of nutrients and still edible.

I will search for a online link as I'm sure it's a common story in certain circles.
Probably didn't hurt that they were kept at a relatively cool temperature.

slamfire51
08-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Back a few years ago, I found several cans of K-rations (or c) dated in the 1950's.
They were pecan rolls. I was reluctant to try eating them. Opened one can and smelled first (smelled like a fresh made yesterday roll) and then tried eating it. It tasted great, and I'm still here. That can was well over 30 yrs old.

Paladin
08-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Back a few years ago, I found several cans of K-rations (or c) dated in the 1950's.
They were pecan rolls. I was reluctant to try eating them. Opened one can and smelled first (smelled like a fresh made yesterday roll) and then tried eating it. It tasted great, and I'm still here. That can was well over 30 yrs old.

I had 20 year old Ks with the same experience. Just don't try smoking the Chesterfields though!

Mark Ducati
08-09-2010, 05:23 PM
For sweets.. don't forget that sugar can store indefintely. Particularly honey!

Also, SALT! You can use salt to preserve meat (in a SHTF scenario, we're talking squirrel, possum, rabbit, etc...) For the salt, I've got a dozen 40 lbs bags of salt used for swimming pools! It says "food grade" right on the bag! You can get it at Home Depot for cheap!

Dr. Gonzo GED
08-09-2010, 05:34 PM

Also, SALT! You can use salt to preserve meat (in a SHTF scenario, we're talking squirrel, possum, rabbit, etc...) For the salt, I've got a dozen 40 lbs bags of salt used for swimming pools! It says "food grade" right on the bag! You can get it at Home Depot for cheap!
This man speaks the truth!

Salt will preserve food for years if necessary. Though a medieval journal entry about eating 12 year old salted cod recommended soaking it in water for hours, and eating it with as much butter as you can lay hands on... :lool:

slamfire51
08-09-2010, 05:41 PM

I'm wondering how long bottled marinade would last.
It would help preserve raw meats such a venison,and other wild critters which are an excellent source of protein. Jerky...YUM!!
Just thinking making marinade from salt and a powdered flavoring would last longer. Am I correct?

Mark Ducati
08-10-2010, 04:45 PM
slam,

The dry rub marinades you're talking about are mostly salt... so yes, the salt would also preserve the spices. I keep several jars of dry rub of all flavor varieties in my SHTF food storages.... I haven't eaten squirrel or possum yet, but I'm thinking enough rub on anything will make it palatable.

El Jefe
08-10-2010, 04:54 PM
slam,

The dry rub marinades you're talking about are mostly salt... so yes, the salt would also preserve the spices. I keep several jars of dry rub of all flavor varieties in my SHTF food storages.... I haven't eaten squirrel or possum yet, but I'm thinking enough rub on anything will make it palatable.

Squirrel isn't bad Mark. You can pan fry it like chicken, or bake it with potatoes and mushroom soup in the oven. It's like a lot of things, if your hungry it's good eats.

printerman
08-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Spices have a tendency to go bland after time , however airtight keeps them fresher much longer . Sealing bags are the way to go even if in jars .

slamfire51
08-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Squirrel isn't bad Mark. You can pan fry it like chicken, or bake it with potatoes and mushroom soup in the oven. It's like a lot of things, if your hungry it's good eats.

Yep, squirrels are tasty. I'll starve or eat dog crap before possum.

El Jefe
08-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Yep, squirrels are tasty. I'll starve or eat dog crap before possum.

I can't imagine eating a damned possum. Rabbit, squirrel, deer, pheasant, duck, goose, moose, elk, bear, antelope, dove, hell maybe even a ground hog or raccoon, but a possum? Yuck.

slamfire51
08-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I can't imagine eating a damned possum. Rabbit, squirrel, deer, pheasant, duck, goose, moose, elk, bear, antelope, dove, hell maybe even a ground hog or raccoon, but a possum? Yuck.

If you ever get a chance, try ground hog and raccoon. Delicious!!!( if cooked right.)