PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning remove/replace muzzle brake, AMD

Heartland Patriot
03-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Hello all

Got my first AK (AMD-63, built by TGI on Nodak receiver)...swapped out stockset with KVAR set...now I want to replace the pinned/welded muzzle brake with something less offensive for the range. I know the barrel by itself is too short...and it needs an extension and long brake or flash hider (preferred for the range). My question is, who is authorized to do this kind of work? I don't want to get anyone's knickers in a twist legal-wise...and I can't do this myself, don't have the tools, even if it was okay (which I know it isn't). Is it okay to have someone change it out if it is still past the legal length when complete? If so, who? Or am I stuck with this lousy Tapco "snake brake"? Sorry for the long first post...been learning a lot, but have even more questions, ha ha. Thanks in advance.

WB!
05-20-2011, 03:21 PM
If I remember right, you would have to use a FFL 3 gunsmith if you just removed the brake and replaced it. With the brake removed, the rifle becomes a SBR, and that's illegal with out a tax stamp. Any one could remove the barrel from the receiver, and then, with the barrel out of the receiver, change out the muzzle brake. RPB in Atlanta Ga. used to have a 4" American made Krinkov style brake, back in the late 90's. If you could find one, that would be a good brake.