PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - AK47 Sight Alignment

RTBArms1603
03-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Newbie here.
I recently held a G Spec InterArms AK47 that I'm thinking of buying. It was equipped with stock front and rear sites. The problem was that I could not get my eye/cheek low enough to align for a proper sight picture.
Do these rifles need sight mods to get a comfortable sight pic?
If so, what is recommended?
I'd like to initially have a setup that will provide proper iron sight alignment, then later optics.
TIA for any helpful replies.
RTBArms1603

Krupski
03-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Newbie here.
I recently held a G Spec InterArms AK47 that I'm thinking of buying. It was equipped with stock front and rear sites. The problem was that I could not get my eye/cheek low enough to align for a proper sight picture.
Do these rifles need sight mods to get a comfortable sight pic?
If so, what is recommended?
I'd like to initially have a setup that will provide proper iron sight alignment, then later optics.
TIA for any helpful replies.
RTBArms1603

Welcome new guy! :welcome:

Yeah, AK iron sights aren't the best to use... even when they are aligned properly.

If you want to use iron sights AND get a decent sight picture AND actually hit what you're aiming at, I suggest replacing the rear sight with a peep sight. Several places sell them... and they just pop in - no gunsmithing required. Check here:

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml (about 2/3 down the page).

Here's another place: http://www.mojosights.com/

And another.... http://www.redstararms.com/index1.html?c1.html&1

Good luck, please feel free to post any question you may have and again WELCOME!

-- Roger

Solidus-snake
03-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the forums :)

I agree with Krupski on this, as there's not really much you can do to improve the AKs standard sights.

Feel free to ask ANY questions, we try our best to help anyone out as much as we can.

RTBArms1603
04-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the Welcome! Great to be here.
I looked at the sights at the Links provided (Thanks Krupski).
I was picturing in my mind a sight that would elevate the rear sight
to a higher height than the original so I could get close to a normal
"cheek to rear stock" position.
Is that type of setup available?
Or am I restricted to adding a scope?
A dual use elevated rear iron site/scope setup like I have on my 10/22
would be perfect. I know we're talking an AK, but if you don't ask, you
never know.
TIA for the helpful replies I know I'll receive.
RTBArms1603

RTBArms1603
04-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I've been doing some searching.
What do you think of this mount?
http://www.thecountryshed.com/ak47_scope_mounts.htm

Besides the obvious need to re-zero after field stripping and cleaning.
Great sight radius...and the original iron sights can still be used.
Anybody have experience with this setup?
I know the receiver cover is not the most stable scope platform to use.
But when I looked at the receiver all I saw was rivets, no screws to
hold a side-mount rail/rear sight.
RTBArms1603

Solidus-snake
04-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Have you ever considered a scout type setup? I can't say I have any personal experience with the receiver cover setup.

RTBArms1603
04-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Have you ever considered a scout type setup? I can't say I have any personal experience with the receiver cover setup.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Looking at the Site my PP referred to, I see that the Scout style mounts directly to the barrel/gas tube forward of the original rear site...Good stable platform, but no improvement to iron site "site radius".

Does anyone make a rear iron site that mounts to/at the rear stock attachment?
That would be one hell of a sight radius. I'd probably have to lengthen the stock somehow though. Ahhh, just thinking out loud.

FunkyPertwee
04-02-2011, 09:30 AM
You could get a European wire side folding stock. Those have almost no cheek weld.

Lone
04-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.
Looking at the Site my PP referred to, I see that the Scout style mounts directly to the barrel/gas tube forward of the original rear site...Good stable platform, but no improvement to iron site "site radius".

Does anyone make a rear iron site that mounts to/at the rear stock attachment?
That would be one hell of a sight radius. I'd probably have to lengthen the stock somehow though. Ahhh, just thinking out loud.

Hi, another new guy here. As to your question, as a matter of fact someone does. It ain't cheap, but it sure looks nice...http://www.krebscustom.com/ProductLine/Rail_System-AssembledLocked.shtml

RTBArms1603
04-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi, another new guy here. As to your question, as a matter of fact someone does. It ain't cheap, but it sure looks nice...http://www.krebscustom.com/ProductLine/Rail_System-AssembledLocked.shtml

Thanks.
Yeah...that is exactly the type of mount I'm looking for...all except for the price.
Always a catch.

RTBArms1603

Krupski
04-04-2011, 07:37 PM
I was picturing in my mind a sight that would elevate the rear sight
to a higher height than the original so I could get close to a normal
"cheek to rear stock" position.

Any scope or sight that mounts on the dust cover will NEVER stay aligned. Does your rifle have the Russian Optics Mount on the side? If so, you can install a Kobra red-dot sight, or a standard 1913 rail and put an optical scope on it or iron sights. It will raise your eye level up to a more comfortable level, but the higher above the barrel you get, the more parallax error you have.

Really, a Kobra red dot is (in my opinion) the best sight for the AK. It's light, rugged and simple. Put the red dot on your target and fire.

RTBArms1603
04-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Any scope or sight that mounts on the dust cover will NEVER stay aligned. Does your rifle have the Russian Optics Mount on the side? If so, you can install a Kobra red-dot sight, or a standard 1913 rail and put an optical scope on it or iron sights. It will raise your eye level up to a more comfortable level, but the higher above the barrel you get, the more parallax error you have.

Really, a Kobra red dot is (in my opinion) the best sight for the AK. It's light, rugged and simple. Put the red dot on your target and fire.

Thanks for the reply.
No, I do not have the Russian Optics Mount. I looked at that setup and was concerned with the stability/durability of how far up the attached scope
is from the mount. Is this a stable setup? Will bumping it have any effect on the receiver or retaining zero? Or is there any other down-sides to it?
Or is it very solid?
BTW, my AK is a G Spec Bulgarian with riveted receiver.
Thanks again.
RTBArms1603

RTBArms1603
04-21-2011, 06:25 PM
bump.

WB!
05-20-2011, 03:06 PM
If you can't get your eye low enough to get a good site picture, you could remove some of the top of the stock. If you added a scope later, you would then add a cheek rest. A few minutes on a belt sander is cheaper then some of the high dollar mounts. I have the receiver cover/scope mount on a milled receiver, and I like it, but others have had problems with it moving. I have noticed that different stocks, have different comb heights. Some people have had trouble with heat and movement, while using the gas tube mount. So if you get one, check out the stability of the mount attachment, and the heat resistance of the dot or scope.