PDA

View Full Version : In 1859 every electrical was fried.

O.S.O.K.
03-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Now, this guy is selling a book (s). So, you have to take that into consideration.

But I do know from several other sources that NASA has indeed identified a massive solar storm beginning in late 2012 as a factual possibility.

It is a fact that this happened in 1859. The only electrical stuff around at that time were telegraph lines - which are very simple and robust systems (made of thick guage wire) - they were comlpletely fried by the solar storm that they were hit with at that time. They didn't know what happened, just that it did... it's a matter of historical fact.

Here's the web site of the guy selling his survival guide books: http://2012-survival-guide.com/?vsa=y

I guess the only thing you could do to prepare for this beyond "normal" disaster preparedness is to have a lead-shielded shelter for you and the electrical stuff that you'd wan't not to get fried - that would still be useful off-grid (modern gas powered items like motorcycles, tillers, generators, solar generators and equipment, etc.).

To me, this is much different than "y2k". It is like a weather prediction - only this is a solar weather prediction.

We all know how weather predictions are but still... if this does happen, we are toast.

And you have to admit - the weather has been very weird, FEMA has been doing preps, and we have liars and assholes in government... that would keep this information hush hush because they know better and don't want to cause a panic.

abpt1
03-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Now, this guy is selling a book (s). So, you have to take that into consideration.

But I do know from several other sources that NASA has indeed identified a massive solar storm beginning in late 2012 as a factual possibility.

It is a fact that this happened in 1859. The only electrical stuff around at that time were telegraph lines - which are very simple and robust systems (made of thick guage wire) - they were comlpletely fried by the solar storm that they were hit with at that time. They didn't know what happened, just that it did... it's a matter of historical fact.

Here's the web site of the guy selling his survival guide books: http://2012-survival-guide.com/?vsa=y

I guess the only thing you could do to prepare for this beyond "normal" disaster preparedness is to have a lead-shielded shelter for you and the electrical stuff that you'd wan't not to get fried - that would still be useful off-grid (modern gas powered items like motorcycles, tillers, generators, solar generators and equipment, etc.).

To me, this is much different than "y2k". It is like a weather prediction - only this is a solar weather prediction.

We all know how weather predictions are but still... if this does happen, we are toast.

And you have to admit - the weather has been very weird, FEMA has been doing preps, and we have liars and assholes in government... that would keep this information hush hush because they know better and don't want to cause a panic.
I guess I should buy a giant can opener .....(digital gun safe lock :\

old Grump
03-31-2011, 02:04 PM
I guess I should buy a giant can opener .....(digital gun safe lock :\Yeah, that would be a real pain in the yup yup. I have Masterlock security locks, they aren't fool proof but as long as I have a key I can open them. Multiple padlocks all keyed the same and everybody in the family has a key. Best I can come up with. Most of my shop tools are hand tools so I could continue to work if the band saw and router et al get fried. Sure would hate to have to go back to hand drills but I have them too. I like my chainsaw but if I have to I have cut a lot of wood with my bow saws. My slide rule still works if my calculator is fried but I have a feeling I won't be needing to make many calculations requiring higher math.

O.S.O.K.
03-31-2011, 07:48 PM
You know. We've all been inundated with SHTF scenarios lately. Unfortunately, many of them are not only possible, but probable.

Seems that a lot of things are coming to a convergence.

I am not a superstitious type of guy at all. But it is very strange.

cevulirn
03-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Well, gues that means my AR-15 and Trijicon Tripower will still work, (With sunlight for the fiber optic anyway!) It will be a shame about the railgun and the plasma rifle in the 40 watt range though.

Schuetzenman
03-31-2011, 11:45 PM
You know. We've all been inundated with SHTF scenarios lately. Unfortunately, many of them are not only possible, but probable.

Nah, what it is really is this. Talk about megga disasters long enough and a person is bound to be right eventually. Thing is, nobody can predict this stuff and if somebody saying X will happen and it does ... he just got fucking lucky is all.

NAPOTS
04-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Can't you just build a faraday cage around your house?

O.S.O.K.
04-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Nah, what it is really is this. Talk about megga disasters long enough and a person is bound to be right eventually. Thing is, nobody can predict this stuff and if somebody saying X will happen and it does ... he just got fucking lucky is all.

I hear what you're saying. But I think this is based on actual empiracle evidence - correlations. Yes, the field of solar physics is a young one, but you have to give some credence to NASA releasing a report...

Just so happens that it's coming at a time when there's a lot of other things going on and being predicted - some just factural right-now stuff and other being tin foil hat stuff.

O.S.O.K.
04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Can't you just build a faraday cage around your house?

I don't think so. I think you need to block the radiation to some degree - I think the faraday cage is only effective on electrical discharge?

Or are you being sarcastic? :)

JTHunter
04-02-2011, 11:45 PM

My mother keeps berating me for being so non-commital about things and keeps saying that she believes that we ARE at the start of the "end times". She frequently refers to her Sunday school teachings as a kid and all the "fire & brimstone" the preachers ranted about and that they don't teach those things (like the "Tribulation") anymore because it "offends" too many people. She is convinced that the U.S. has strayed so far from what the Founding Fathers intended that we are about to face "the Rapture". I don't know but I plan keeping my eyes and ears open.

If they get it right on the first time, I'd be inclined to cut them a little slack. If they repeat this success, I'd be inclined to believe. If they are right 2/3's of the time, they are beating the odds and I'd probably listen to them.

old Grump
04-03-2011, 01:10 AM
I don't think so. I think you need to block the radiation to some degree - I think the faraday cage is only effective on electrical discharge?

Or are you being sarcastic? :)From EMP yes, from radiation no and yes if you have the deep wallet you can get a cage that is room size or house size. http://www.faradaycages.com/index2.php

O.S.O.K.
04-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Since the "end times" have been called about 5 or 6 times in the past already, I'm not buying that. But then, I'm a doubting thomas anyway.

I do buy the information that is based on scientific observation and study. We WILL see a solar max begining towards the end of 2012 - will it be severe? That's the question and the warning from NASA is "maybe" - there's more of a chance than normal basically.

I do buy the economic predictions because we can all see the stretch marks and the root causes. You can't carry the debt and print the money without consequences.

I do buy the civil unrest in the world because it's on the news every night and as more information is "uncovered" or just simply reported, the more it looks like we will have a real sticky wicket in the ME - which will have to affect world oil prices and economies.

NAPOTS
04-03-2011, 12:53 PM
No not being sarcastic, I was actually wondering if the chicken wire in the walls of stucco houses would have an effect on absorbing em interference. I think it might have to be grounded though.

O.S.O.K.
04-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Hmmm, if they were all connected and as you say, grounded - plus they'd have to be in the ceilings too.

JTHunter
04-03-2011, 10:16 PM
No not being sarcastic, I was actually wondering if the chicken wire in the walls of stucco houses would have an effect on absorbing em interference. I think it might have to be grounded though.

From what the MRI techs have told me, the mesh they use has to be of a certain size opening to contain the magnetic fields - something about the wavelength of the emmissions.

old Grump
04-03-2011, 10:47 PM
A box for sensitive equipment like your computer would be easier and cheaper to make. If you do the house thing it really woks better if you can extend the cage under the house too and unless you are building new that is pretty impractical. Chicken wire will work but copper works better and that can get pretty pricey.

You also have a grounding issue because the ground for the cage or cages cannot be tied to or near the ground for your house electrical system. A cage can contain 100's of thousands of volts and you don't want that feeding back into your household appliances.

Sergi762
04-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Y'all keep this up I am locking my calculator and my tube HF radios in a aluminum vault and isolating it from earth ground....I got more tube electronics than I have room for and y'all are making me skittish. as for anything else I keep my rifle maintained and my Bible open. I have a slide rule(only 20 year old I know who does and knows how to use it) and yeah...they are a pain in the butt. I prefer my TI-89 titanium and my old textbooks.

romak10/63UF
04-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Im glad me an OSOK are on the same page on alot of things... Is it possable thou that the solar strom could affect our human brains ? if so... i am planing on building my kevlar lv 3 helmet with a lead cover... " just in case " But honestly if you were to pull the car battery out of your car before this solar storm hits would your car still be ok ? if not i could buy a car cover an cover it with lead yea its gonna be a little heavy.

O.S.O.K.
04-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I think you need a lead sheild - something that will block the radiation that fries the electronic stuff. Taking the battery out of the car will do nothing.

This is basically a massive, sustained EMP - like an air-burst hydrogen bomb would produce, only for longer periods.

All unsheilded electronics will be totally burnt out.

No electricity, no water (electric pumps), no communications, no locomotion... instant 1840.

Klawndyke
04-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Wahoo stone age again.. If it happens it happens.. i would like to be some what ready... i figure it would be like a long camping trip with no electronics... i could servive just fine.. its the people in the big citys that worry me that have no clue on how to fish hunt or even the basic to get by with out having a store next to them.. as far as a cage. you do have me thinking about maybe building a faraday cage for my radios and basic electronics.. or at least storing them in something safe..

O.S.O.K.
04-23-2011, 10:00 PM
If one truely wanted to be ready for this, they would have horses, windmills for pumping water into a cistern, and solar panels, converters, batteries and "essential" electronics all sheilded in a hidy hole.

Things would change in a hurry if this comes to pass. Probably 80% or more of the people in this country would pass within a few months.

old Grump
04-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Cancer would be a problem down the road and cataracts for those outside without sunglasses or a hat shielding their eyes. For those worried about EMP frying their brains its unlikely they would notice the pulse because we aren't electronic devices or good conductors. Forget sunblock, it isn't that good, long sleeved shirts with high collars will be the uniform of the day for the foreseeable future.

The long term camping thing is okay if you are a skilled primitive camper but if you rely on little gas stoves and lanterns and being able to run to the store to buy ice, soda, hot dogs and beer you are going to be a little uncomfortable unless you learn to live lean in a hurry. I would be screwed because without access to my old people meds my days would be crippling and pain filled after my meds ran out.

I would rather not try and find out if I am that tough anymore. I used to be but the last time I primitive camped was nearly 40 years ago. That's why I figure to stay put. slipping into my back field to pick raspberries or pop a squirrel for supper is one thing. Grabbing a bag and running into the woods for a couple of months is more than this old household could handle.

Sergi762
04-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Wahoo stone age again.. If it happens it happens.. i would like to be some what ready... i figure it would be like a long camping trip with no electronics... i could servive just fine.. its the people in the big citys that worry me that have no clue on how to fish hunt or even the basic to get by with out having a store next to them.. as far as a cage. you do have me thinking about maybe building a faraday cage for my radios and basic electronics.. or at least storing them in something safe.. WOuldn't an old steel/aluminum surplus ammo cam suffice for shielding smaller things?

Klawndyke
04-25-2011, 09:18 PM
WOuldn't an old steel/aluminum surplus ammo cam suffice for shielding smaller things?

i thought about that and i dont see why not.
i was thinking about a steel truck tool box to store a
solar panel, battery, 2 way radio, am fm radio, and misc.

LOL with my luck i would have it open checking it out to make sure it was ok
and an EMP or something would hit right then.. :runforhills:

Sergi762
04-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Now if only I could get some opinions on Vacuum tube based transmission equipment and the likelihood of it surviving unplugged ...
thank ya for your reply Kind sir!

O.S.O.K.
04-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Here you go guys - this gentleman has put a lot of thought into this situation and these questions. http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html

Sergi762
04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
incredible link OSOK, I thank you. however I feel this must be said for those of you who do NOT restore Vacuum tube electronics:Selenium rectifiers are by far the crappiest diode that was made for Tube era electronics, they failed often and when they did they filled the room with a stench that can't be mistaken. in the hobby/ repair business they are replaced simply with a 1N4007 or stronger silicon diode and some wire wound resistors to equal the old rectifiers voltage drop.Easy to' nest' spares as the link describes. maybe useless info from me but if you bought that tube radio from a good restorer/technician chances are the selenium rectifier will have been replaced. just for the record.BTW yes I am a "restorer" as well.

jjeez
04-26-2011, 11:54 AM
NASA and other Scientists were on the history channel a few months back talking about this possibility. It is more likely to be a smaller impact than most think. In other words, a regional issue not world wide.

ready
04-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Hopefully, it erases my credit history.

Sergi762
04-26-2011, 12:10 PM
NASA and other Scientists were on the history channel a few months back talking about this possibility. It is more likely to be a smaller impact than most think. In other words, a regional issue not world wide. and what region will be thrown back into the stone age then?

jjeez
04-26-2011, 03:46 PM
and what region will be thrown back into the stone age then?

that is the question isnt it? they dont know...