PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Question

Ash
03-31-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm kicking around the idea of picking up an AR-15. A local pawn shop has a bushmaster that looks to be what I want for about $650. What I'm curious about is if on most AR's if the forearm can be replaced with one of those rail systems easily? I'd like to nab this and customize it down the road when I have more money and put a rail and front grip on it.

Forgive me if this is a fairly noobish question. I am very new to the world of the AR, just finding out how modular it was recently.

Thanks.

-Dan

AKTexas
03-31-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm kicking around the idea of picking up an AR-15. A local pawn shop has a bushmaster that looks to be what I want for about $650. What I'm curious about is if on most AR's if the forearm can be replaced with one of those rail systems easily? I'd like to nab this and customize it down the road when I have more money and put a rail and front grip on it.

Forgive me if this is a fairly noobish question. I am very new to the world of the AR, just finding out how modular it was recently.

Thanks.

-Dan

Welcome to the forum. Try this link for all your black rifle needs.

http://www.gunsnet.net/forumdisplay.php?22-Black-Rifle-Forum

FunkyPertwee
03-31-2011, 03:15 PM
AR handguars are easy to change. A Bushmaster will use normal AR parts including handguards.

$650 is a good price on a Bushy. Hope you enjoy it.

imanaknut
03-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The front handguards on AR-15s come in a couple of different sizes, but once you know the correct length, there are a zillion varieties of rail systems available.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask, and then report that you spent money that you didn't need to, or bought the wrong parts, or bought a firearm at a ridiculous price. Ask away, we were all new to this at one time! :thumbsup:

Oh, and yes, $650 is a very good price on a Bushmaster except the Bushmaster Carbon 15 version.

abpt1
03-31-2011, 03:22 PM
There are easy ones and not so easy ones ....
You must choose, but choose wisely

arcangel
03-31-2011, 03:27 PM
First handguards I ever replaced was on a Bushy M4geryA3 style rifle. A vice and a dremel, a wrench, and allen keys was all I needed. Thats a good price for a Bushy too.

abpt1
03-31-2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=149

O.S.O.K.
03-31-2011, 03:59 PM
:welcome: to the board! Asking questions is how you learn.

As AKTx already pointed out, we've got a forum just for your AR.

And I also think that $650 is good for a Bushy - assuming it's in good condition.

If you want options, just ask! We are all about helping fellow gunnies out. :D

Gunreference1
03-31-2011, 07:15 PM
I moved it.

Steve

abpt1
03-31-2011, 07:42 PM
I moved it.

Steve
Thank you !

Schuetzenman
03-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Welcome to the Gunsnet.net. To answer your question yes you can take off the handguards and put a rail handguard on. There are many makers of such and prices vary widely. The original rail handguards are free float in nature meaning they do not touch the barrel. So pressure on the handguard wont disturbe the vibration and accuracy of the barrel. There are cheaper and newer models that simply replace the stock handguards. They like the stock handguards are two pices, an upper and lower half. These handguards let you hang all the do-dads on the rails but these will all potentially effect the accuracy of the weapon.

I have used Daniel Defense Omega rails handguards. They attach to the stock barrel nut that looks like a bicycle chain sprocket. I have also used Yankee Hill Ultra Light rail handguards. Both are free float types. The Yanky Hill replaces the stock barrel nut and will require a special spanner wrench to tighen the new nut down. The handguards then scrw onto the outside of the new barrel nut.

http://www.yhm.net/store/forearms.html click link to see YHM handguards.

https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/omega-rail.html click link to info on the Omega rail systems.

shadow65
04-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Midwest Industries makes a nice set of drop in railed hand guards. Lock up tight but are not free float. M.I. also makes a 2 piece free float that work well and requires the delta ring to bew cut off.