PDA

View Full Version : Boyd's Blaster stock arrived and is now installed...

O.S.O.K.
07-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Well, I got the stock in good time and installed it. Turns out that the low rings on weaver rail that I had been using (which was good for the old stock) was much too low for this stock. So, I went to Walmart - yes believe it or not - they had 10-22 "see through" rings that put the Prostaff 4x rimfire scope in perfect alignment for this stock - go figure.

Well, since I had the thing apart, I decided to do a trigger job on it. Youtube is amazing for the things you can find there. Checked a disassembly vid, a trigger job vid and a fcg install trick vid - now I'm a 10-22 expert! :lol2:
Well here's the end result:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/4846886571_0010fabbbf_b.jpg

It looks and feels great. This is actually wooden stock - walnut! I know this because I had to drill the holes for the sling swivels - and walnut dust came out...

The trigger job that I did resulted in exactly no change that I can register... so I think I may be getting a timney trigger for this baby. The existing trigger is heavy and has excessive overtravel - none of which does anything for accuracy.

Oh, and somebody's going to ask - the barrel is a butler creek graphite model. Very lightweight and seems to be accurate when I can overcome the danged trigger.

Finally - Justinsaneok - I have your Hogue stock and a box so it'll go out to you on Monday.

I'll probably wait for the range trip with this until after the Timney trigger is installed.

slamfire51
07-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey, that's great looking stock. Sets off everything else.
I was going to ask if it was synthetic, but read it's walnut.
Good looks at a good price. Congrats!!!

justinsaneok
07-31-2010, 06:12 PM
That looks sweet. Once again thanks thats awesome . I too went through my 10/22 s guts and tried to polish every thing and mine was so poor before I started , I couldn't mess it up. It was way better when I was done but still alot of over travel. No longer crunchy. Before it was like the safety was on when I fired it. I would pull the trigger nothing then I pull it again and it would fire just fine. I got that all worked out by polishing up the trigger return plunger. Of course I ground out the bolt release tit that keeps you from dropping the bolt by just pulling the bolt to the rear. Man thats stupid they did that. Next I want to figure out how to keep the bolt to the rear when the mags empty. I'm sure I'll find a way. I have a red dot on top of mine. I could not use my iron sights on factory barrel with my scope rail on the gun that is stupid even with that big notch. I can't wait to do some more tinkering.

justinsaneok
07-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Got any before pics to show the class? I was also wondering if tried any crappy golden bullets or stingers in the chamber of that BC barrel. Any failure to chamber or unchamber as the chambers on most 920 barrels are very tight. All I really shoot is CCI mm 36 g HP

O.S.O.K.
07-31-2010, 08:23 PM
No, no befores. And you know, I could do some more polishing - I didn't even touch the plungers and I was thinking I could cut a tad off of the trigger return spring too....

I actually bought this originally at a pawn shop well used. The only thing left from that original gun is the receiver, bolt and guts of the receiver. I've replaced everything else.

justinsaneok
08-01-2010, 05:41 PM
What kind of group is that thing shooting with that barrel?

O.S.O.K.
08-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I really haven't checked it in a long time. I seem to remember that it would do 1" groups at 50 yards with ammo that it likes.... but I'm holding out for the timney trigger - I went ahead and ordered one. That will really help the accuracy.

I also ordered some Wolf .22LR - supposed to be very accurate stuff. This is the target match not the $2/box more stuff.

O.S.O.K.
08-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Keep in mind that this barrel is somehting like 8 years old - I got it back when these first started to become popular - there were the high dollar carbon barrels and then Butler Creek came out with one - is supposed to be air guaged but it was only around $100 vs the much higher dollar versions.

Now of course, you can get all kinds of different bull barrels. Most seem to be fluted steel though...

The carbon barrel is very lightweight. The rifle probably weighs 4.5 lbs. as pictured...

O.S.O.K.
08-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Well, Brownell's came through with flying colors again. And so did Timney. I installed the new trigger group today in about 15 minutes. Cake.

Now I've got a groovy trigger on her :thumbspbig:

justinsaneok
08-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Stock is here, thanks again! Do you have a Glock 19?

chiak47
08-05-2010, 04:09 AM
That is sharp OSOK. :wootrock:

It makes me want to put a bull barrel on mine.

AKTexas
08-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Real sharp plinker there OSOK.:ylsuper:

davepool
08-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Oh, and somebody's going to ask - the barrel is a butler creek graphite model.[/QUOTE]

Yup, i was gonna:)

O.S.O.K.
08-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Stock is here, thanks again! Do you have a Glock 19?

Great! No, don't have a 19 anymore... Just a 17 and a 20. But don't worry about whatever you're up to.... :)

Just pass it on.

justinsaneok
08-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Great! No, don't have a 19 anymore... Just a 17 and a 20. But don't worry about whatever you're up to.... :)

Just pass it on.
cool beans, but where's those targets ?????

Hondo
08-16-2010, 08:11 PM
very nice OSOK I have been wanting to get the elusive Boyds "tacticool" stock for my new Mark II Savage.

justinsaneok
09-05-2010, 09:28 PM

Just pass it on.
last week I guy retired from the Military mentioned he had a G19 and I gave the 19 stuff to him and then he gave me a Z2 surefire that had a burnt out bulb and no batteries and I had batteries and a lamp for it so sweet. So I find myself on the owing end again. And where are those target pics?????

slamfire51
09-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah.
We need target pics.

O.S.O.K.
09-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Been trying to get to the range but shit keeps getting in my way... today, it was the wife making a lunch date with some friend who were in Austin for a wedding yesterday - so we had to go see them today for lunch and then she had to go to Macy's to buy some woman shit. Woohoo!

It was good to see our friends but I kind wanted to go shoot... and its lookin like rain now... so here I sit.

slamfire51
09-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Been trying to get to the range but shit keeps getting in my way... today, it was the wife making a lunch date with some friend who were in Austin for a wedding yesterday - so we had to go see them today for lunch and then she had to go to Macy's to buy some woman shit. Woohoo!

It was good to see our friends but I kind wanted to go shoot... and its lookin like rain now... so here I sit.

The remnants of the hurricane headed your way?

O.S.O.K.
09-07-2010, 12:30 PM
started raining right after I posted that and its still raining....

slamfire51
09-07-2010, 12:35 PM
started raining right after I posted that and its still raining....

Do like I do. Open a window and shoot.
Put on some hip boots and set up a target.

Robinson Armament Company
10-06-2010, 07:23 AM
I installed the new trigger group today in about 15 minutes.
__________________________________________________ _________

Guns Network Staff
10-06-2010, 08:15 AM
I installed the new trigger group today in about 15 minutes.
__________________________________________________ _________

No advertising in signature or manually added ones either. - Guns Network Staff

TEN-32
10-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Nice job OSOK. Great looking stock. What did you do to the trigger? I recommend a few simple little things that yield huge improvements over the stock set up. Go the the Volquartsen web site and look in the bargain bin for a match hammer. Should run around 15 bucks. It will lighten your trigger and comes with shims to take out any slop. Next, do the roll-pin trick. Take a 3/32 roll pin and mash it into the firing pin channel along the top of the bolt assembly. You can trust it, or put a dab of super glue or JB weld to hold it. This will keep the firing pin "captive" and your ignition hits on the rim will be more consistent...theoretically yielding better accuracy. You can use a copper BB for this, but some have said they work loose after a while. Mine is still solid as a rock. Just need to shave off the top of the BB to make it flush with the bolt.

Lastly I would get a titanium extractor from the same bargain bin. These 3 things with a bolt buffer, and a good barrel, and you'll have a tack driver!

O.S.O.K.
10-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Man, don't encourage me :D

I installed a Timney trigger - vast improvement over the stock...

I think I'm through with it though - these things are as big a money hole as the AR's ;)