PDA

View Full Version : Non-AR Black Rifle and AK mags

kimberkid
04-01-2011, 06:58 AM
I kept telling myself I'm going to wait until they come out with the 556R pistol so I can do an easy SBR ... but, I'm weak.
osagecountyguns on GunBroker listed one for $899 with no reserve ... following my usual bidding strategy I place my bid a couple minutes before the 15-minute reset and it got run up a bit by other bidders but they stopped at $985 which was less than my limit so it was still a great deal, picked it up last Saturday and despite the rain and snow we got on Sunday I went and shot 80 rounds of different ammo's at the 200 yard gong :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/kimberkid/Toys/P3260094.jpg

The mag that came with it, marked "made in Bulgaria" fit very loosely but every other AK mag I've got fit fairly tight in the mag well and had very little side to side play ... Hungarian 20 rounder, Chinese 30's, Bulgarian ribbed and some slab-sides of which I've forgotten the origin of ...

In looking it over and comparing it to my other 556's and mags, the standard 556 lower will fit it ... and it will feed the 7.62x39 rounds through the C-products mags in that caliber ... further the 556R (7.62x39) lower will accept a Galil 223 mag and will feed the .223/5.56 round in a standard 556 upper, at least when cycling by hand ... how reliable it actually is ... is yet to be determined.

One thing for sure is, the stock is going to have to go ... its ok for a plinker like the SiG-522 but it feels flimsy. Why SiG doesn't use a stock like the original 550 is beyond me ... I'm thinking I’ll eventually go with an aftermarket adapter and a Magpul UBR.

Then on Wednesday, a new "test" ...

I took off work a bit early and made a quick trip to the range with my 2nd Generation 556 lower on the new 556R ... using the C-Products 7.62x39 mags ... and my first for any kind of accuracy comparison with this gun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/kimberkid/Toys/P3300110.jpg

Every thing worked together perfectly with no FTF's, FTI's or FTE's ... I only shot 40 rounds then but I've yet to have a failure of any kind in the 120 total rounds I've shot.

I shot 5 getting it on paper and 5 to zero. Then shooting 10 rounds each at 100 yards and keeping in mind I was using the cheap-ass factory red-dot. The steel case ammo shot like that of a typical AK while the Yugo was much tighter ... maybe if I had put a scope on or better quality red dot the groups may have been tighter but for now I'm OK with it.

recon
04-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Sounds like you have one that works just fine! I see the Yugo grouped really well!

O.S.O.K.
04-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Cool. And though I understand the advantages - mounting optics, stock sights, etc. I don't see a lot of gain in real-world performance over a WASR for $379 ?

Not dissing, just saying that you can get a WASR and a 3 cases of ammo and 5 eb steel mags for the price of just the gun. And you'll get about the same 100 yard accuracy.

I personally go for the AR - for MOA accuracy and mounting optics, etc. and the AK for dead-nuts, harsh environment reliability and minute of bad guy.

If I had more money to spend on guns then I'd probably look at this differently - as that is a cool ride, for sure.

FunkyPertwee
04-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Swapping the 5.56 and 7.62 uppers and lowers sounds really cool. You can use either mag type in either caliber. :thumbsup: