PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Storage

Wild Bill
04-02-2011, 09:38 PM
I was going throught my accessories and found a 20 round Hungarian mag that has been in an E German mag pouch for approximately 2 years. When I examined it, the painted surface was indented with the mag pouch fibers. It is probably still perfectly functional, but was my favorite mag. It was inside my house so I thought it would be fine in a cool, dry storage. Too bad!

Any tips on mag storage? I use 3 or 4 and want to keep a few in new condition.

Thanks for your tips in advance!

FunkyPertwee
04-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I take mine out and inspect them and externally oil them occasionally.

ready
04-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Yeah, some AK stuff has a pretty crappy paint job. I sprayed my Bulgarian down with carb cleaner just like I do my AR's and the friggin' paint came off. As previously stated for mags, wipe 'em down once in a while. They like to rust.

guns-n-tonic
04-21-2011, 07:01 PM
SORRY BOUT YOUR 20 ROUNDER..
But i agree w/ Funky, take them out once in a while, count how many u have aquired, and then take some gun oil and a hopps rag and apply a thin film..store in a cool, dry place. Remember only us Americans treat them like this, the rest of the world treats them like shit and they still run...
I have a few bakelites, lov'em!
better yet, take them out and use'em!!
good luck..

bovver
04-21-2011, 07:54 PM
I oiled the hell out of mine inside and out.
I then coat them in grease and wrap it up in a sheet of waxpaper to not get the oil or grease everywhere.
Then I will drop it in a plastic freezer bag without the ziplock.
Roll it and label it.
I check on them evry couple years and have no rust.:tinfoil:

But I have been told I have issues.

Flinter
04-21-2011, 08:36 PM
We get bulk printer ribbons at work that come in heavy duty corrugated boxes. My AK mags stack perfectly inside of them.

No wraps, bags or anything like that. Just a thin coat of oil on the outside. I've never had a problem.

Klawndyke
04-21-2011, 09:22 PM
I like to oil mine down then i place them in an air tight ammo can.. so far so good.. I have had mags for years this way with no rust..

guns-n-tonic
04-21-2011, 09:37 PM
@bovver
we all have issues, or we wouldnt be discussing this..lol!
have a great weekend...

l921428x
04-21-2011, 09:50 PM
@bovver
have a great weekend...

We may or may not have issues, but, oil them, use them and put them away Sorrta-kinda like women. Christ has Risen!

romak10/63UF
04-21-2011, 10:36 PM
I use wd40 on a old white rag ... i take hte mags outside mostly 30 rounds an rub the outside of them down with the wd40 rag... then with a dry hand towels i wipe them down until there clean an put them back in the ammo can....:naughty:

bovver
04-22-2011, 07:39 AM
@bovver
have a great weekend...

true.
I should point out the ones I oil and grease are for storage.
I have nine mags I use and only spray RO in and out and wipe them dry.

Broondog
04-22-2011, 09:24 PM
i treat my mags like they do in third-world countries.

i rub them down with sweat, dirt and the occasional few drops of blood and chuck them, loaded, into an ammo box. once in a while i take them out and unload (by firing) them and repeat the process.

no problems and no rust that i can see thru the dirt.

they feed AKM's for Pete's sake. treat them like it.

ready
04-22-2011, 11:04 PM
i treat my mags like they do in third-world countries.

i rub them down with sweat, dirt and the occasional few drops of blood and chuck them, loaded, into an ammo box. once in a while i take them out and unload (by firing) them and repeat the process.

no problems and no rust that i can see thru the dirt.

they feed AKM's for Pete's sake. treat them like it.

You're right, they probably don't like being taken care of, that's the problem.

Mark Ducati
04-23-2011, 06:52 AM
I've heard of guys taking their mags and removing the floor plate and spring and then running them in the dishwasher when the wife isn't home... Usually AR mags IIRC, but even steel ones... if you put it on the "heat/dry" cycle, they'll come out real hot to the touch and the water will be gone. Then oil away.

I remember as a kid, my dad used to wash The Buick Regal "wired" hubcaps (80's style at the time) in the dishwasher all the time...

ready
04-23-2011, 09:05 AM
I remember those hubcaps. My parents had the same car.