PDA

View Full Version : Another new one

Richard Simmons
04-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Went to the Knife Show yesterday in Harrisonburg, VA and had a great time. Spent a lot of time with my fellow Buck Collectors Club members and saw a lot of great Buck collections but alas, when it came time to head home I didn't leave with a new Buck (though I did get Chuck Buck to sign my Buck Paradigm, more on that in another thread).

Nope I decided to buy this Bark River Knife & Tool, Bravo 1 with golden elder burl scales.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/rsim20011/100_2451.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/rsim20011/100_2456.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/rsim20011/100_2457.jpg

4.25" of A2 tool steel almost a 1/4" thick (.0215') and 7.7 oz. This thing is a monster in the strength department. It's my first convex blade, been meaning to convex my Becker BK-2 and a few others but just hadn't done it yet. Sharp enough that it will fillet paper.

I'd read about Bark River online and on various forums but had never handled one. When I say this one yesterday, even though they had a table full, those golden elder burl scales just called out to me. May pick up a green linen micarta or black or orange G10 version in the near future for regular use and keep this one as a safe queen as it's even nicer in person.

For those of you unfamiliar with Bark River and or the Bravo 1, basically Bark River had the Marine Corp, Recon Training unit look at a similar knife for their use. They came back to Bark River with some suggestions on changes to the knife. The result of those changes is the Bravo 1.

If your in the market for a quality, hard use fixed blade give Bark River a look. They may not be cheap but I'd say they're damn good!

abpt1
04-03-2011, 07:09 PM
If you dont mind me asking but whats something like that cost ?

Richard Simmons
04-03-2011, 08:30 PM
If you dont mind me asking but whats something like that cost ?

Depends on the scale material but mine was $225.00 OTD plus the dealer threw in a new leather strop.

ready
04-03-2011, 08:47 PM
That's almost too nice to put in work with but it would be a shame not to put it to use.

abpt1
04-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Depends on the scale material but mine was $225.00 OTD plus the dealer threw in a new leather strop.
Not bad I was expecting it to be at lets twice that .

Richard Simmons
04-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Not bad I was expecting it to be at lets twice that .

Box price was $329.95 but that seems to be the retail on most of there product in this style/size range.

I agree Ready. It's a beauty and I kind of hate to mess it up but I'm itching to try it out. Would still like to order one with more utilitarian scales like G10. The nice thing about Bark River is their lifetime warranty. Screw up the knife or the sheath and they'll fix or replace it.

O.S.O.K.
04-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Wow - very nice. I love the scales.

And now I know why I haven't gotten into knife collecting!

The guns are bad enough, but adding the knives would bankrupt me and most likely be one of the top things listed under "cause for divorce" :lool:

Though, they are a lot easier to store!

gpwasr10
04-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Excellent choice! That is a bad piece of metal!