PDA

View Full Version : New AK help

SweetPete
04-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Hey all! Looking to get a new AK. The two I'm looking at are a little pricey, but I don't plan on draggin them through the mud. Just wanted to do some weekend shooting and have a good quality good looking rifle. From all the reading I've done about AKs, I know everyone has their own opinions and I'd like to hear some opinions on these two choices, good and/or bad. Thanks for any responses!

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct655.aspx

http://http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17046&cat=353&page=1

imanaknut
04-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I would have to say if you don't mind spending the money, the AKM from Atlantic is a really nice rifle. As the write-up says it is built from a Saiga which gives it that "Made in Russia" stamp. Saigas are great rifles. As finished, that is one great looking AKM variant!!!

Heck, that wood case it comes in would be nice to have!

Also, Atlantic Firearms is a great company to deal with. The owner has spent a lot of time building a good reputation. So far he has kept his standards high and stands behind what he sells. Highly recommended~

videodon
04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
That's a nice rifle for sure.
If you're only gonna have one...it wouldn't suck.
:)
I've dealt with Atlantic also...they're good to go.

SweetPete
04-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys! A guy at work said to stay away from Atlantic, but I'd take your words over his and I don't even know you. Thanks for the replys!

El Laton Caliente
04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Can't get the K-Var link to work...

Atlantic is good people and that looks like a nice AK. If you like and are good at tinkering, you could buy a Saiga and do a conversion yourself...

Dr. Gonzo GED
04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys! A guy at work said to stay away from Atlantic, but I'd take your words over his and I don't even know you. Thanks for the replys!
Stay away from Atlantic? You kidding? They got some of the best pricing, highest quality products, and nicest customer service staff you've ever heard of! (Maybe he was thinking of Olympic Arms, which many people boycott for political reasons)

Of the two you posted, I would go for the Izzmash from Atalantic myself. K-var makes a hell of a gun, but you will havce to pay out the nose for it. Izmash makes the AKM. Period. The reciver on your converted Saiga is the same piece of metal as the one on an AK-103. THe only gun with the real soviet AK-factory stamp on it is Saiga. And their price point is a dream compared to any other build of that quality.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is the Izzy meets or exceeds your listed criteria, and will not drain your pockets like a K-var build. (k-var has a bit of a reputation as a rip off. Not that their stuff is bad, it's just very high on the price scale for what it is. JMHO)

Dr. Gonzo GED
04-05-2011, 02:31 PM
How about a MILLED AK for less than $700:wow:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct876.aspx

Good luck, and shoot safe amigo! :thumbsup:

imanaknut
04-05-2011, 03:58 PM
SweetPete, I have spent many hours discussing stuff with the owner of Atlantic Firearms. Not only is he a nice guy but he is doing his best to run a top of the line business. That said, we all are human and every now and then something that is made and then sold might not live up to it's billing. Sometimes we ourselves get sick and might not answer a question the way we would if we were healthy, but I can tell you that Blaine at Atlantic will do everything possible to make sure you are a happy camper if you remember just one thing, he is a human being just like you and me.

The more I look at that beauty you linked to, the more I like it!!!

Thanks Dr. Gonzo GED, a milled AK for $639 plus shipping and transfer is a great deal, even for a Century build, which I hear have been pretty good. (Note, the "pretty good" are for the milled model only!)

SweetPete
04-05-2011, 05:00 PM
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17046&cat=353&page=1

Maybe that link will work.

I shopped for a new shotgun a few months ago and ended up with a Mossberg 590. Couldn't be more happy with it. Now that I'm looking for an AK, I don't want to get one and wish I'd have gotten a different one. The old lady wont be too happy with the purchase, so I'll have to wait until I put my motorcycle up for sale this month. That will give me enough time to change my mind a few more times! :smile:

That's a nice gun Dr.

Choices Choices Thanks again, all!

romak10/63UF
04-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Sweetpea " have you tried gunbroker.com " ? type in " ak47 " there its pretty eazy really all you need is a ffl in your town who is willing to have the firearm shiped too. Plus you can bid on the one " you want " .

Stamped ak-47s are really nice
Milled ak-47s is like a fine wine when made perfectly you get the perfect gun.

it all depends on how much you really want to spend.. you can spend as little as 400.00 dollars for a romanian ak-47

550 --- 1500 for a chinese nornico...

899 ---- 1500 for a russian ......

SweetPete
04-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Sweetpea " have you tried gunbroker.com " ? type in " ak47 " there its pretty eazy really all you need is a ffl in your town who is willing to have the firearm shiped too. Plus you can bid on the one " you want " .

Stamped ak-47s are really nice
Milled ak-47s is like a fine wine when made perfectly you get the perfect gun.

it all depends on how much you really want to spend.. you can spend as little as 400.00 dollars for a romanian ak-47

550 --- 1500 for a chinese nornico...

899 ---- 1500 for a russian ......

A Chinese AK would be cool too. Haven't read much about them though. Although I have noticed most of them have the thumbhole stock which is no big deal. Any suggestions? Either route I go, I'd like to keep the price down as much as possible. However, I want to do it right. I don't know enough about the AK so I wouldn't even know where to start if I was to buy on gunbroker. Not knocking the WASR, but I'd like something a step up. I just think a Russian or Chinese would be sweet.