PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a new bolt and carrier !

romak10/63UF
04-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Hey there guys an gals i have a quick newbie question about thoughts of getting another bolt an carrier . Do yall think it will be a drop in fit ? or will i have to adjust the gas piston ? or will i have to match grade lap the bolt ?

lol any body who knows more to this please advice me of the does an donts an whats the best way to have a spare bolt carrier just incase my first one goes out.

:fighter2:

awp101
04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
First question: why?

The bolt carrier should drop in but a new bolt might have to be (really should be) re-headspaced. The carrier might need a little tweaking but I'd damn sure check the head space if you swap the bolt as well.

O.S.O.K.
04-05-2011, 08:58 AM
First of all, if you really want spare parts like this, the best way is to just get another AK of the same type. You will find that buying the major stuff in parts is going to run up about the same bill.

Secondly, the likelyhood that your carrier is going to go south is very low. Very low.

I can see having a spare fcg and extractor and some of the springs but that's about it.

However, if you do want to proceed, then just stick with the same AK type and it should be drop-in. Though, you should check headspace regardless anytime you introduce a new bolt - like AWP said.

Going with a carrier/bolt from another type of AK (say a Saiga) may or may not work properly even though they are of the same design...

awp101
04-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Going with a carrier/bolt from another type of AK (say a Saiga) may or may not work properly even though they are of the same design...
Hadn't thought about that. I was thinking about when I swapped a SAR bolt carrier for a upswept Romy. Of course I have no idea what I did with it when I swapped it back...:oh::dammit:

romak10/63UF
04-05-2011, 09:56 PM
I bought a used romanian ak47 bolt off gunbroker already it seems to work a little bit better doesnt wiggle as much... i did load a fmj round an it loaded fine... i guess i need to buy a no go an go an field gauges am i right ?