PDA

View Full Version : Radios

Ash
04-07-2011, 09:29 AM
I haven't run across any recommendations on radios (2-way) for SHTF kinda stuff. I've seen the suggestions for the pretty sweet sportsman's guide crank am/fm radio all in one units and have that on my wish list. But would there be a legitimate need for including 2 way radios in the equation as well? Possibly even the longer range two way radios (i think they're called HAM radios)?

Figured I'd throw it out and see what you guys thought.

-Dan

Dafapa
04-07-2011, 10:23 AM
I haven't done a lot of research, but this is something that's been on my mind for a while. In a civil break down standard communications are likely to be disrupted. No cellphone, internet, or possibly even regular phone service. The ability to communicate and coordinate larger groups is what I think will ultimately separate the survivors from those that fall by the wayside.

I think with a good two way radio set up you and all your friends within a few hundred miles could stay in touch with each other. These radios could be run from generators or even batteries of some type, so they could be used even in a complete communication break down. If you stored the radios inside something that would function as a faraday cage they should even survive solar flares that would roast a lot of other electronics.

Ash
04-07-2011, 10:57 AM
I hate to admit it but this idea came while watching Tears of the Sun the other night. In the story a seal team is pushed into an engagement with a force of far superior numbers. In the movie, with all of it's hollywood drama, the one realistic aspect that jumped out at me was the seal team's reliance on their comm systems to coordinate their efforts. So that got me to think of how much I rely on my cell phone now and hence my post.

El Laton Caliente
04-07-2011, 11:16 AM
The quick & easy low end is CB radios. Two or three walky-talkies, a couple three vehicle mobils and a base station with the whole mess only around a grand...

Krupski
04-07-2011, 02:23 PM
I haven't run across any recommendations on radios (2-way) for SHTF kinda stuff. I've seen the suggestions for the pretty sweet sportsman's guide crank am/fm radio all in one units and have that on my wish list. But would there be a legitimate need for including 2 way radios in the equation as well? Possibly even the longer range two way radios (i think they're called HAM radios)?

Figured I'd throw it out and see what you guys thought.

-Dan

Welcome Dan!

Concerning radio... "HAM" radio is "Amateur Radio" - people who have to be knowledgeable in electronics, FCC law and Morse code, and have a license to prove it, in order to operate a "ham" radio,

In recent years, the FCC has relaxed the requirements to make it easier to get a ham license, but amateur radio is still not "CB" or "Family Radio Service".

For SHTF communications, anything you can buy in a store (CB, FRS, GMRS) will be monitored, jammed and triangulated by the "bad guys".

Something that was able to operate on a wide range of frequencies, operated in DIGITAL mode, data encrypted and spread spectrum would be the best choice... but stuff like that is big bucks and not many others would be able to talk to you.

By the way, I'm a ham radio operator. I've had the license since 1973 (back when it wasn't easy to get!). Unfortunately, the relaxed new rules have let in a bunch of clowns who make ham radio no better than CB... it's not what it used to be. :(

6gunsal
04-07-2011, 03:02 PM
By the way, I'm a ham radio operator. I've had the license since 1973 (back when it wasn't easy to get!). Unfortunately, the relaxed new rules have let in a bunch of clowns who make ham radio no better than CB... it's not what it used to be. :(

My grandfather (a retired navy radio operator) had a pretty banging radio room from what I can remember. His mind is too far gone for him to use it anymore, and I'm sure his radio buddies aren't any better off. Can't remember his call letters either.

Integratedj
04-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Welcome Dan!

Concerning radio... "HAM" radio is "Amateur Radio" - people who have to be knowledgeable in electronics, FCC law and Morse code, and have a license to prove it, in order to operate a "ham" radio,

In recent years, the FCC has relaxed the requirements to make it easier to get a ham license, but amateur radio is still not "CB" or "Family Radio Service".

For SHTF communications, anything you can buy in a store (CB, FRS, GMRS) will be monitored, jammed and triangulated by the "bad guys".

Something that was able to operate on a wide range of frequencies, operated in DIGITAL mode, data encrypted and spread spectrum would be the best choice... but stuff like that is big bucks and not many others would be able to talk to you.

You no longer need to know Morse code to get a technician license. I was just talking about it with one of the testing people yesterday to see what I needed to do to run one without getting into trouble.

Sergi762
04-08-2011, 04:08 PM
hmmmm well alright since there are a few hams about..I own a National NCX3 HF tube set..about 300watts..20meter,40 and 80 meter.assuming I can get it connected&powered.Got about 5 years of tube set maikng under me but.. I have to ask; how much use would a radio operator/maker be in the mess?..