PDA

View Full Version : How to load an AK drum how to guide.

AKTexas
04-07-2011, 01:10 PM
I found this to very helpful for me loading a drum magazine. I got a Romanian drum from my uncle for Christmas and the instructions were not all that helpful.

Loading 75 Round Bulgarian/Romanian/Chinese Drum Magazine

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=173

Parts of the drum:

1. Cover Latches – The 2 latches at the top of the drum that secure the cover in place.
2. Spindle – The circular device inside with cutouts for holding the rounds, rotates in a circular motion.
3. Locking/unlocking shaft – The center spring-loaded device with a dished top.
4. Small winding key – Directly underneath the locking/unlocking shaft with two ears to grab onto.
5. Follower – Located in the spindle and engages in the spiral groove or track. Pushes the last few rounds up the tower.
6. Tower – The squarish part at the top of the drum that inserts into the mag-well of the rifle.
7. Main Winding Key – On the cover that looks like a wind-up-toy key.
8. Main Spring – Not visible, but under the spindle mechanism.
9. Spiral track – Visible at the bottom of the drum.

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Romanian-75-RoundMagazine-Instructions-1.jpg

Follower at the beginning of the spiral track.

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Romanian-75-RoundMagazine-Instructions-2.jpg

After the spring has pushed the rounds into the tower.

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Romanian-75-RoundMagazine-Instructions-3.jpg

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Romanian-75-RoundMagazine-Instructions-4.jpg

The drum fully loaded.

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Romanian-75-RoundMagazine-Instructions-5.jpg

The follower in the correct position for a partially loaded drum.

Loading the Drum

First thing you may want to do is to clean the heavy oil from the drum with some Gun Scrubber or the like. The drum comes shipped with this oil to prevent rust or corrosion in the shipping process. It’s a bit more than you need for actual use. Re-oil with your favorite gun oil. Note: This entire step is completely optional.

Release the 2 cover latches at the top. Then open the cover. You will see a maze of slots and spirals on the inside. Don’t be intimidated by the appearance. It is all very well thought out and easy to use!

Push the locking/unlocking shaft with firm, sharp pressure using your thumb to release any pressure on the main spring. This may take a bump with the outside of your fist. Don’t be alarmed if/when the main spring releases its tension with a whir.
With the locking shaft still depressed, wind the spindle clockwise until the follower returns to the beginning of the spiral. Release the shaft.

With your ammo handy, load 5 rounds, point-down, into the top of the drum along the largest diameter of the drum, just under the tower, loading in a clockwise direction. While firmly holding the spindle (yes, firmly), add two clicks in a clockwise direction using the small winding key. Slowly release the spindle and allow the 5 rounds to load into the tower. Turn the spindle clockwise and remove 2 of the last rounds loaded and continue to turn the spindle clockwise until it returns to the end of the spiral track (starting position). Still holding the spindle, add those 2 rounds into the top of the drum about in the same place you just loaded the first 5 rounds. With these in place, the spindle will be locked in position and you can release it.

Continue loading your rounds in all the places they will fit all around the drum. When you have filled all the slots, you should have 75 rounds in the drum. Once loaded, close the cover and secure the latches.

With the main winding key, turn it about 10 good turns or clicks, if you prefer to count using that method. As you turn the key, you will hear and feel the spring as it clicks, At any of the clicks, you can release pressure on the key to get a new grip or relax. Over-winding is not recommended. If firing and you find that the rounds are not feeding solidly into the rifle, add a click or two right then and add those clicks to the total next time you load up.

If you are loading to put the drum in storage for future use, do all the loading but only wind the main key 2 clicks. Save the full-winding till you are ready to fire. This way, the spring will not take on a “set.”

Also, if you fire half the rounds and want to leave them in the drum, just open the cover and depress the locking shaft to release spring tension. Add one or two clicks to keep some tension on the rounds and close it up. Next time out, just wind it up fully and go.

Loading Less than 75 Rounds

If you are out shooting and have, say, 20 rounds left over and no other mags handy, you can load those into the drum. Start off like above and just add the 20 rounds along the outer rim going clockwise from the top. The only difference is to start with the follower at the very top of the spiral and back it off enough to add just 20 rounds. Once loaded, close the cover and wind the key a few complete turns. You should not need full spring pressure for just 20 rounds.

Always remember that the follower needs to be able to push the last few rounds up through the tower. So, don’t leave any gaps in the spindle feed pattern when loading.
Once you get the hang of loading the magazine, you can load it with any amount of rounds you desire and adjust the spring pressure as you see fit.

Cleaning

After a number of outings with the drum, you may need to clean out powder residue and any other trash. Open the cover and clean with gun scrubber or as desired. Most of the accumulation will likely be in the tower, so give it a good spraying out. Re-oil and that’s it!

FunkyPertwee
04-07-2011, 03:02 PM
I used Linx's intructions when I got my drum. These are good too.

imanaknut
04-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Words of warning I give to anyone who uses the windup drum. Use a dowel or screwdriver to push the release button. There is a little shredder attached that you don't want to make contact with.

Also, be ready for a loud bang when you release the spring tension. This is normal, but if you are not ready for it, well let's just say you will never forget! :D

AKTexas
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Words of warning I give to anyone who uses the windup drum. Use a dowel or screwdriver to push the release button. There is a little shredder attached that you don't want to make contact with.

Also, be ready for a loud bang when you release the spring tension. This is normal, but if you are not ready for it, well let's just say you will never forget! :D

+1 I did that without the tip.

Mark Ducati
04-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I bought a new Chinese drum... works great! Thanks for the info, I had to look up the loading directions on youtube!

AKTexas
04-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Maybe this should be a sticky?

romak10/63UF
04-07-2011, 04:23 PM
There is not alot to the drums... But i always found it useful to load the first 4 or 5 rounds in the top of the magazine then lay the drum on its front then hand load each round 2 or 3 at a time.... I have a chinese 100 round drum that i bought for 59.99 new... The guy who i bought it from didnt know what it went to , but i did..... :1139png: